Poulan S25DA - what gas:oil mixture to use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weekendguy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just picked up a nice S25DA that had very few hours - needed some repairs (those pesky bar oil pumps) - now it's ready to go - what should I run as my gasil mixture? I read somewhere that the newer oils are fine at 50-to-1 for all saws (new and old) but I'm hesitant to do so without some professional input. Thanks

Thanks!

Thanks, Urbicide - just what I needed to know (and more). I'm new to this website and I very much appreciate the help.:)

From what I have learned, small Poulan saws require a fuel with an 87 octane rating. With some of the larger ones, say a saw made for Poulan by Dolmar, I would use a premium, higer octane fuel. If in doubt use a mid range, say 89 octane. If it were mine I would mix the fuel/oil at a 32:1 ratio and adjust the carb to that mix. I recommend Mobil 1 Racing 2T synthetic. I get mine at Auto Zone.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice - I found some synthetic oil at an Autozone and I'm getting ready to mix it up 32:1 - when I adjust the saw to that mixture, do I just adjust the max RPM? or should I be messing with the mixture?

Here is some info on carb adjustment.
http://www.madsens1.com/sawtune.htm (this is correct now)

Someone told me that it is a little more difficult with a little Poulan. When I removed my limiter caps on my Craftsman (Poulan 2250) I adjusted it and noticed that it didn't respond like my 52cc Makita when turning the adjustment screw. It wasn't as immediately responsive when turned. But I adjusted the high screw, until until it wound out smoothly then turned it counter clockwise until it just burbled or four stroked. The low screw is basically for smooth idle and rapid throttle response. It now runs better than ever.

Last edited:
Elmore-

I think the link you sent me is for my posting - I assume you were pointing me to another posting about carb adjustment (?)

Thanks

Thank you both - this is a great article, and I will get my hands on the saw this weekend. One remaining stupid question - is it clear from looking at the carb which screw is high speed and which is low speed? The idle is obvious. Thanks

Typically the lower screw on the right is the high adjustment. The cover should have "H" molded into it at that opening.

Back