Poulan Synthetic Mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where is AndyShine? I bet the Poulan is similar to if not the same as the Husky badged.....probably relatively good stuff and Mastermind uses it :rock:

FYI

HOP= Husqvarna Outdoor Products
Son of a gun!!! What I learn on this site!!

Years ago I had a Husky 44, 70's. I used Golden Spectro Synthetic. A friend of mine, who was into racing dirt bikes and me tore it down. There was no noticeable wear at all. Great stuff! If this oil is anything like it it's a winner. Well look what Mastermind says!!

What do you use in your other saws? I feel now at least if I have to I can use the PS. Also where do you get your Amsoil? Thanks.
I am still currently using the orange bottle Stihl mix...bought at discount...know it works..!!
Researched the black bottle semi-syn blend and best info I could get was about 20-30% syn.
I was expecting 50%..plus you don't mix it with orange jug...may or may not mix well..??
It was..."either or or" as the saying goes....I'll pass..!!!
But I am about out of the orange and am undecided about my next purchase.

Funny but true...I have two local Stihl dealers about 10 miles in opposite directions.
One only sells the orange as that is all the locals will buy...doesn't even stock the syn.
The other only sells the black and ultra-syn...no orange...as that is all locals will buy..:msp_confused:

My brother who lives in another state give me the quart bottle of Amsoil for Xmas.
My posting info of the price was off the Amsoil webpage.
Amsoil Saber Professional 2-cycle oil.
http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=4
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Yes,

Spectrum Lubricants Corporation
500 Industrial Park Drive
Selmer, TN 38375

I could be wrong, but I think that is the same company that makes the Husqvarna oil too. Probably the same stuff if it is.

I'm pretty sure one of the best 2-cycle oils there is is "76 Airkool HP" made by Conoco Phillips but I can't find a dealer anywhere unless I want to order a full case of it and drive 50 miles to pick it up. I haven't been that curious yet.

I bought some Green Technologies G-Oil on clearance at Wal-Mart recently. It is made with beef tallow, kind of like biodiesel. I've used it in my old Echo trimmer but haven't tried it in a chainsaw yet. It is supposed to be certified JASO-FD and ISO-L-EGD, although I don't see any seals on the label. It works great in the trimmer and doesn't smoke much.

Another oil that might be worth trying (and you can get it at Wal-Mart too, in quarts and gallons) is Quicksilver PWC semi-synthetic. It's a TC oil designed for aircooled jet skis and snowmobiles, with a warning not to use it where TCW or TCW3 is specified. There's also a full synthetic version, but the semi-synthetic might actually be better in a high-rev engine and it's cheaper. One is in a silver bottle and the other is black, and I don't remember which is which.

No semi-synthetics for me!

I'm pretty sure one of the best 2-cycle oils there is is "76 Airkool HP" made by Conoco Phillips but I can't find a dealer anywhere unless I want to order a full case of it and drive 50 miles to pick it up. I haven't been that curious yet.

I bought some Green Technologies G-Oil on clearance at Wal-Mart recently. It is made with beef tallow, kind of like biodiesel. I've used it in my old Echo trimmer but haven't tried it in a chainsaw yet. It is supposed to be certified JASO-FD and ISO-L-EGD, although I don't see any seals on the label. It works great in the trimmer and doesn't smoke much.

Another oil that might be worth trying (and you can get it at Wal-Mart too, in quarts and gallons) is Quicksilver PWC semi-synthetic. It's a TC oil designed for aircooled jet skis and snowmobiles, with a warning not to use it where TCW or TCW3 is specified. There's also a full synthetic version, but the semi-synthetic might actually be better in a high-rev engine and it's cheaper. One is in a silver bottle and the other is black, and I don't remember which is which.
Just my experience: I put semi-synthetic Wally World oil in my Toyota Tacoma for the first time. I was coming home from New Hampshire and it started knocking. Valve. The oil was in there all of 1 day. Ever since then do not use semi-synthetic oil period!!!

Welcome!!! This is a great place with incredible people and knowledge! Bob

Bottles put out by the same company may be made to different specifications. Just because the Poulan oil says HOP on the back doesn't necessarily mean it's the same stuff as the Husqvarna oil.

That doesn't mean it's bad stuff, just different. Can you tell the difference? Probably not. Unless you own an oil spectrum analyzer with or without the optional flux capacitor attachment.

If anyone has a specific question, drop me a MP. These oil threads are often filled with more nonsense than real information.

Just one simple question, do you think the poulan synthetic is good. Only one I'm asking lol. Don't want to fill up your message box.

Just my experience: I put semi-synthetic Wally World oil in my Toyota Tacoma for the first time. I was coming home from New Hampshire and it started knocking. Valve. The oil was in there all of 1 day. Ever since then do not use semi-synthetic oil period!!!

The Quicksilver oil is sold by Mercury Marine, it's not the Walmart house brand (that's what, "Super Tech" I think?) FWIW :)

I used it for a year or so and switched to Lucas semi-synthetic. Then to mobil 1 after finding a stash of it. Finally to castrol full synthetic. I picked up 10 19.6 oz bottles on clearance for $2.99. It was clean burning oil, but after I moved to a 372xp. I wanted more peace of mind with a better grade of oil.

My .02

Mike

Just one simple question, do you think the poulan synthetic is good. Only one I'm asking lol. Don't want to fill up your message box.

Yes it's very good oil, and it's the same oil as Dolmar/Makita's oil and Baileys Woodland Pro synthetic oil. It has the same CAS number and MSDS. Take into consideration non of the OPE manufactures actually make their own oil. Stihl's ultra oil is made by Omni specialty packaging, but contains Castrol base stocks, so it's really Castrol oil made to meet Stihl requirements. Echo's oil is made by Citgo. Husky's oil is made by Spectrum. I skip them all and just run full racing ester oil like Maxima K2, Klotz R50 and so on.

Maybe a geezer moment.

After reading all this I can't remember if I put two 8 oz. bottles of Husky branded oil in four gallons at the station last week or only one. Yikes. I may only have 62:1.

I have a Lawnboy to feed that's why I normally run 32:1 in my saws.

I think I'll add another 8 oz to the can (havn't used any yet). Worst case I end up 21:1 and it will be hazey here for a while.

What ever happened to the Lawnboy oil?

Latest posts

Back