Poulan Wild Thing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheers

BeerMug.jpg

This review is the best, especially the second paragraph.

"The WILD THING is actually Poulan model PW1480WT made in the USA. It comes with a really nice case and blade sheath, a spare Oregon P4018WT chain and 96ml (3.2 oz) of 2 Stroke Engine Oil. The oil gas mix ratio is 40:1. To keep it simple mix the 96ml bottle of oil with 4 Litres (1 gallon) of gas so do buy a new 1 gallon gas tank while you pick up your Wild Thing. (You must mix your fuel in a container, not in the tank).

I was going to buy a Stihl or a Husqvarna until I dug a little deeper. This is what I discovered. The Poulan Saw Co. was founded in 1946 in Louisiana by Charles Poulan. Poulan merged with Weed Eater in the 1970s then Poulan Weed Eater was purchased by the Swedish conglomerate Electrolux in 1979. Since Electrolux owns Husqvarna which owns Poulan, the two brands share technologies (so says wikipedia).

The real star of Texas Chainsaw Massacre was Poulan. Get ear, hand, eye and hand protection. YOU NEED A HELMET because kickback is the issue."

Too Late!!!!

This review is the best, especially the second paragraph.

"The WILD THING is actually Poulan model PW1480WT made in the USA. It comes with a really nice case and blade sheath, a spare Oregon P4018WT chain and 96ml (3.2 oz) of 2 Stroke Engine Oil. The oil gas mix ratio is 40:1. To keep it simple mix the 96ml bottle of oil with 4 Litres (1 gallon) of gas so do buy a new 1 gallon gas tank while you pick up your Wild Thing. (You must mix your fuel in a container, not in the tank).

I was going to buy a Stihl or a Husqvarna until I dug a little deeper. This is what I discovered. The Poulan Saw Co. was founded in 1946 in Louisiana by Charles Poulan. Poulan merged with Weed Eater in the 1970s then Poulan Weed Eater was purchased by the Swedish conglomerate Electrolux in 1979. Since Electrolux owns Husqvarna which owns Poulan, the two brands share technologies (so says wikipedia).

The real star of Texas Chainsaw Massacre was Poulan. Get ear, hand, eye and hand protection. YOU NEED A HELMET because kickback is the issue."

Doh!

I wish I had seen these reviews BEFORE I bought my 385XP. Live & Learn.

not a bad saw for $150.00 , my cousin bought one , and used it too clear an acre of oak , almond and some other hard wood fruit trees , thing wouldn't idle at all , had to keep on the throttle , but it cut them all down

treecutting011.jpg

not a bad saw for $150.00 , my cousin bought one , and used it too clear an acre of oak , almond and some other hard wood fruit trees , thing wouldn't idle at all , had to keep on the throttle , but it cut them all down

Alot of them are like that from the factory (poor idling), all you have to do is richen up the mixture. Mine starts easy and runs great, I can even bury the 18" bar in soft wood if I don't mind cutting real slow. But it does great up to about 12" wood before it slows down much.

My brother-in-law gave me a wild thing as a wedding gift (best one I received) 5 years ago. I laid it to rest 2 weeks ago. Cause of death was a melted piston.

Mine ran well for a while. I was cutting 4-5 cords a year plus a few trees and limbs. I am not sure what happened but is started idleing fast and the loop would spin while idleing. Then one day it started bogging down mid cut and would stop. It finally stopped mid-limb removal. I ended up completing the cut with a bow saw!

Today I bought a Stihl MS 250. I brought it home around lunchtime but haven't cut with it yet. I think I might trade it in for a 290. I will be up all night trying to decide if I made the wrong choice!

My brother-in-law gave me a wild thing as a wedding gift (best one I received) 5 years ago. I laid it to rest 2 weeks ago. Cause of death was a melted piston.

Mine ran well for a while. I was cutting 4-5 cords a year plus a few trees and limbs. I am not sure what happened but is started idleing fast and the loop would spin while idleing. Then one day it started bogging down mid cut and would stop. It finally stopped mid-limb removal. I ended up completing the cut with a bow saw!

Today I bought a Stihl MS 250. I brought it home around lunchtime but haven't cut with it yet. I think I might trade it in for a 290. I will be up all night trying to decide if I made the wrong choice!

Welcome to the site Hydestone! :cheers:

Now quickly press and hold your computers power button till your screen is black!

Ok, you did not heed my warning, it was for your own good.

Now, your only chance is to walk briskly right past the 361's and 290's at your Stihl dealer, and get something for your wife!

Seriously, if you liked your Wildthinggy, your going to love your 250!

Now that you been welcomed and warned, the 290 is a step up from a 250, but a 361 a giant leap!

Poulan vs good saw

but seriously

.... the saw is made in the USA...

:deadhorse:

Comparing Poulan with husky is like comparing a ford with a mercedes.
The poulan oilers are inferior to husky, stihl, echo and others.
The poulan cylinders are inferior to husky, stihl, echo and others.
The poulan bearings (roller and needle) are inferior to husky, stihl, echo and others.
The poulan plastic is inferior to husky, stihl, echo and others.
The poulan is a "wantobe" husky.

It may be argued that they cut fast, but someone show me a 3700 or smaller poulan with 1000 hours. For each one of these, there will be thousands of husky, stihl, and echo with 1000 hours which continue to cut all day long.

echoman

Wildthing and other green poulans don't even have a plated bore, it's just bare aluminium which is a kiss of deth for longevity. Ports have zero chanfer on them, saw only revs 8k-9k.

Anyone who says they are a good saw, even for the money is talking out their A$$.

LOL but with a few simple mods, a wild thing can be made to out cut a simmilar sized stock Stihl or Husky. Only problem it will cut the life expectancy from 50 hours at best to maybe 5 min.

Last edited:
Wildthing and other green poulans don't even have a plated bore, it's just bare aluminium which is a kiss of deth for longevity. Ports have zero chanfer on them, saw only revs 8k-9k.

Anyone who says they are a good saw, even for the money is talking out their A$$.

LOL but with a few simple mods, a wild thing can be made to out cut a simmilar sized stock Stihl or Husky. Only problem it will cut the life expectancy from 50 hours at best to maybe 5 min.

now i know better .... :cool:

:givebeer:

I have one

I have the wild thing and as soon as I can get a stihl I will. IT might of cut maybe 10 cord of wood and that might be a generous quote. Before the p/c Let go. Just hoping the craftsman holds up. So far it's already surpassed the poulan so here's hoping:greenchainsaw:

I have the wild thing and as soon as I can get a stihl I will. IT might of cut maybe 10 cord of wood and that might be a generous quote. Before the p/c Let go. Just hoping the craftsman holds up. So far it's already surpassed the poulan so here's hoping:greenchainsaw:

Have you richened up the mixture? If you don't, you're in for another dead saw soon. They run them so damn lean they burn up quick.

Back