Powerhorse log splittor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a few more pics of my splitter. Last summer I had a ton of cherry to split. On one of the larger nasty logs the wedge decided to follow the wood grain.
I gave Northern tool a call and I talked to a very nice lady in customer service. She told me to get the model, serial # and rev. letter the wedge assembly and call her back, she said that they had one left in stock and were open for 2 more hours. So I drove a couple miles back to where I was cutting, ran out in the woods in the pouring rain to get the necessary info. I then called back and got the "please call back during business hours message." So I called back the very next morning eager to get my new wedge on its way. I got the not so nice lady who ultimately told me that they had none in stock and they were on back order.

With this news, some heat and mechanical advantage I bent the wedge back so I could continue along with production. The new wedge assembly showed up a couple months later and it still sitting in the corner of the shed.

Here is a picture of my splitter. It had been sitting there over night and the 3pt on the tractor had settled down to the bottom.

It's Chinese crap, with a Honda knock-off motor. If ever there was a time NOT to be buying Chinese crap, I think this would be it.

That said, I have my NT catalog here in front of me, and those things look weak. It also appears that you can buy their 1107-1903 20 ton 6.5hp H/V splitter for the same price as the 20ton Powerhorse...so it would seem an easy choice if you're hell-bent on buying from Northern...

My boss bought some of thoes to replace the honda motors on the mixers and even though they look like a Honda, they are NOT.
Id rather see you buy a husky brand from TSC

Heck if everyone is coming out and showing pics of there powerhorse.. iam game..Its worked great. Starts on the 2nd-3 rd pull after a 6 month of none use. Good fuel usage i would suppose. Has split everything ive had in the yard. Of course after i purchased it, northern decided to add on the bigger highway wheels and ball hitch. Ohh well. Iam happy with the way it is- considering how much i use it

bigchunk%20%28Medium%29.JPG

China???

So is it just the engine that is chinese on these splitters? Mine doesn't have an engine as it is a 3 point, so there are no "Made in China" stickers on it but rather "Made in USA" stickers on it. The tractor running it was made in Russia if that makes a difference........LOL

My neighbor has the same tractor but only its a 550. I thought about a splitter for my tractor but i do alot of other work and I'd hate taking it off and on.
I cant speak for the splitter just the engine.

My neighbor has the same tractor but only its a 550. I thought about a splitter for my tractor but i do alot of other work and I'd hate taking it off and on.
I cant speak for the splitter just the engine.

It is one tough little tractor....

With this news, some heat and mechanical advantage I bent the wedge back so I could continue along with production. .
I would like to bend the wedge on my powerhorse back to the way it was.I still use it every day , its not as extreme as in those pics.
what steps did you take to bend it back?did you dissasemble the whole thing?

Powerhorse 20 Ton

I saw one recently and noticed that it is fairly tongue heavy making it difficult to move around.

If you extend the wedge so the main beam is going past the engine it will offset it. I can move mine around with 1 hand on concrete or on hard dirt surface

I would like to bend the wedge on my powerhorse back to the way it was.I still use it every day , its not as extreme as in those pics.
what steps did you take to bend it back?did you disassemble the whole thing?

I secured the splitter to my steel work bench. Then I welded about a 6' long piece of steel to the wedge for mechanical advantage. Heated the bent area with oxy acetylene then bent back the wedge with the 6' pieced of steel. The wedge was bent in 3D so I had to weld the steel bar on in several locations to get it back. I used a cutoff wheel to remove the welds then cleaned up with a grinder. The process took me 1.5-2 hours. I did not have to disassemble the splitter.

This past weekend I finally made some progress modifying my powerhorse. It is now sporting a 9hp Robins engine, larger pump and double detent valve. Sad thing is I won't put a piece of wood through it for a while since I lent it to a friend! My friend didn't run it before so he can't compare it. He has split some wood, says it splits well but the detent valve needs some adjusting.

I bought a used NT splitter about 5 years ago for $250 it had never even had oil in the crankcase of the motor, the guy bought it and put itin his barn, never used it...it looks nothing like those...its fairly small, while still being pretty tough...came with a GC160..it has never given me a bit of grief what so ever...its truly been one of my better investments...at the time I couldnt afford a TW1....it has split on average 50cords a year, plus when I loan it out...

Just this year I have noticed the rear seal in the cylinder is leaking...and will address it when it a.gets worse or b. winter comes along again.:D

Latest posts

Back