powering a 36in bar.....?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i was going to pick up a 3120 but heard about some reliability issues. the saw will be used for chunking down sticks while climbing and out of a bucket. i've climbed with a 3120 before so yes i know it's a big heavy saw. i'm also interested in a hot rodded 395 so i could get the same power in a smaller saw.

i'm really a husky fan but whats the rep on the 088?

can the resident saw builders please respond with a phone # so i could get a price and a time frame on having a saw built.

thanks
[email protected]

in the tight backyards i work in, i often have to chunk down sticks. i find it easier and quicker to use a big saw instead of useing a smaller saw and shorter bar. with a long bar you could stay in one spot instead of walking the bar around the cut.

i often use 288 with A 28 in bar but for the bigger stuff i prefer the power of a bigger saw. i have an 066 with a 32in but it needs more power " scotty"

if you could handle a big saw in a tree why not use it? the bigger saw gets the job done quicker.

Have you considered an 066? They are lighter than a 395, more powerfull and more RELIABLE. Get an 066 and open up the muffler, you won't be sorry;)

You have an interesting concept there, I've run a 266 in most areas and had very good results, you just have to put some openings in the muffler. I did and the power is now estimated to be at about 5.4HP or so. all other internal parts on my saw are stock, for the immediate moment, till I can put a 272 cylinder on there.

Bigger is better IMO. Get an 090, Just kidding. I'll keep my 266 on duty for now.

pretty much the smallest thing i pick up these days is a 371xp right after my ms200. i just kind of skip over the rest of the saws. most of my work is in nyc so it's common to stand on gaffs and cut chunks and push them off. i started playing with 3/8 dowels (slipping them into the cut makes pushing them off eassier) the packaged wooden shims from home depot helps too. rb tree suggested the dowels a wile ago.

rocky

i'ts been a while since i've been here so i forget who the payers are to track down, and after reading the geffard thread i know i'm really in the dark since he was one of the names i remembered.

i have a 346xpg i got from dan and it is awsome he should be getting my 372xp tommoro cant wait to see how it turns out. these are my first tuned saws so i have'nt much to base anything on but i am still quit pleased.

Dolmar PS7900 Power Ported.
Powerhead weighs only 14+ lbs.
Will pull a 32" w/o the weight.

Dolmar PS9010 was designed for longer bars up to 42 + inches.
Torque Balls to the Wall.
W/o weight.

Any of the current 90cc saws ( Stihl 066, Husky 395, Solo 694 ) out there are more than enough for a 36" bar. Once the muffler is relieved of the EPA bu!!sh!t these saws really come alive. I had a pre-epa 066 with a factory dual-port muffler that now belongs to Jeff Sikkema, I ran a 42" bar on that saw with power to spare!

I usually use a modified 066 with a 36" bar for blocking down large stems. If it's bigger than that I have an 088KD and a 56" bar but, I really would rather use the 066. The 120cc saws are 30+ lbs with a bar and chain. That is a lot of weight on gaffs not to mention a lot of power. If I could have only one I would choose the 066 for this application.

Why not have Rocky build your saw, hot air injection and all? I never got the impression that Ed tooted his own horn, as Gypo takes care of his PR in that department.

What a sorry life you must have, Brian, when every single post leads to some form of malicious comment. Do you have any friends? I think Dozer Dan should find a new horn tooter for himself.

Thanks for the great view RJS, the border is nothing , it cost nothing to cross , When I sent rbtree his 357 it cost me $36 and that was with $1000 insurance on it so most guys are closer than Roger is so the cost should be less.Yes RJS I am new to here but I am not new to building motors,

The 3120 will do the job very well, the weak part is the connecting rod but if you donot take the limiter out it should never break, the 088 is a good saw as well mostly it is up to you on your choice, next under that would be 660 stihl and Gypo's 385 built by Kenn Dunn works very well or get a 7900, one saw that will do everything and it will run a 36 inch bar

Kf-tree,
The 7900 is a great saw and has lots of power. It will run a 36" bar with ease. I have an EHP7900 and it hauls A$$.
Ed heard is a very competant builder and a real straight shooter. I have 3 saws built by Ed and they work great.
Hunter

I would like to add that I have talked to Ken Dunn, Ed Heard and Dan Henry, on the phone and in email. Each of these builders has been the true professional. I have asked many questions and was given all the information I needed and more. That kind of courtesy goes a long way in my book!

Last edited:
I take trips to Canada on a regular basis to pick saws up from Ed. If you are worried about the border, I can hand deliver it.
Hunter

Doug, What I meant was that all of your posts as of late leave a sour aftertaste, as if you are looking down on us. There is no need to belittle everyone.

Back