powering a 36in bar.....?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by caryr
Glen,

You might want to double check this. Madsen's has the MS660(066) and 395XP both at 17.6 lbs using the same scale and with a similar setup. Either should work just fine with a 36” bar.

Hi Cary.

Okay, I'll go over to Jeff Sikkema's house and weigh them on his digital scale again if he's still got them "in stock".

BTW, the MS660 had the large double bucking spikes and the 385XP had the single small one.  Half-wraps on both.  I don't recall whether it was two or just one tenth pound more for the 385 than the MS660, but the Stihl was spot-on with the catalog weight listing and the Husky was something like a pound heavy compared to it's listed weight.

Glen

Glen
my 385 has double bucking spikes that are huge. My saw was bought by Ken Dunn out in CA. The 385's that are sold in my local guy's shop have 2 smaller spikes. It might be a territory thing. I gave my spikes away since I try to squeak every bit out of each 16 modded saws I have.

I wonder why we never hear about the 395 always the 385 and 3120 when we move up to the larger saws in the husky line. As far as the scale goes I try to stay clear of those.

Marky there is a 7900 sitting in the corner with your name on it , but donot tell Gypo it is the one he ran the last time i was down to his place that he liked so well

Ed I am working on coming up, I left a message with my friend about getting his boat up there for a few days. Put the 7900 on the side. Thanks again I am also looking forward to running the 346xp piped

Should I presume...

In reading this thread, I am left with a question for you folks (based on my ignorance alone). Many of you have favorably compared the Dolmar PS7900/Makita DCS7901 (79cc - 13.6lb) to the Stihl 066/660 (91.6cc - 16.3lb) and the Husqvarna 395XP (93.6cc - 17.4(+)lb). Is this truely a good comparison - it seems that it can't be? If the comparison is truely valid, why do any of us use Stihl/Husky if we can get a lighter more powerful saw for less money? Should this not be a comparison among the Dolmar PS7900, Stihl 046/460, and Husqvarna 385XP? Also, if the crux of the comparison involves a modified saw, shouldn't the comparison include data for modded versions of each (apples to apples, oranges to oranges, and whatnot...)? If we are comparing price to performance, does a modded Dolmar 7900 cost less than or similar to a stock 90+cc Stihl/Husky?

Basically, if one can get a modded Dolmar that will cut with a stock Stihl 066/660 or a stock Husky 395XP and it weighs less and costs similar or less then one would be silly to not go this route. If, however, that same person is in the market to mod an 066/660 or 395XP then what is the point of talking about the 7900 (maybe the Dolmar PS9010/Solo 694/Makita DCS9010, though).

Two cents,
Jon

Very good points, Jon.  I take it for granted that's what should be done about drawing comparisons, but it doesn't sound like what's being generally talked about, does it?

I've run a (claimed-to-be) stock 7900 and was quite impressed by it, and thought perhaps in the 20" poplar it would be close to my 066.  As nice as the Dolmar is for most things I'd do, I have great reservations about being able to swallow the idea it'd keep up with the 066 in larger wood (like where a 36" bar would be necessary).

Also, the company seems to feel the need to emulate Electrolux when publishing weights.&nbsp; The saw does not weigh 13.6 pounds, but rather 14.4 with no bar/chain and dry.&nbsp; And the power rating they give is for the model <i>without starting valve</i> (whatever that is/means).&nbsp; One of the drawing points for the Dolmar is its longer warranty, but that would be right out the window on a modded saw, wouldn't you think?

It's kind of a moot point for me at the moment since my 066 runs so good and shares enough components with my other equipment that I'm not currently looking to replace it.&nbsp; It might be a little heavy, but I don't need to carry it very long at all.

Glen

Hi Jon
I am glad to see a legitimate question asked. It seems lately there is more BS here then there is information.
In stock form the 7900 will out cut the 385. I can send you a phone number of a local logger that has both in stock form. All of his crew has ran both saws and they will verify that.
About a year ago, people on here said the 7900 didn't take to porting very well. The truth of the matter is that a 7900 woods modded saw will cut with the 066. Ask some people that own them. Yes we can make the 7900 faster then that but I don't consider that type of saw durable enough to be considered a woods saw.
Later
Dan

Hey Dan, long time no hear-from!

I want to say that what I was talking about in my last post was a <i>stock</i> 7900 keeping up with a <i>stock</i> 066.&nbsp; On review that wasn't clear to me.

Glen

As nice as the Dolmar is for most things I'd do, I have great reservations about being able to swallow the idea it'd keep up with the 066 in larger wood (like where a 36" bar would be necessary).
I agree with Glens. I dont see a 7900 keeping up with a 66 in big wood. I also dont see a 7900 pulling a 38" bar as some have suggested. For loggin use i n hardwoods I would bet a 28" would be about tops.

I agree with Glen`s reservations about a 7900 vs a larger displacement saw in bigger wood. The 7900 is an impressive saw, especially so when properly modified, but the larger cubes win with long bars, especially when comparing to an 066.

I`m pretty tired of hearing about how the 7900 in stock form will outcut a 385 in stock form. It`s pure BS. The 7900 couldn`t do it the two times I demo`d it and now that I have one it still can`t. You can bring me any number of "loggers who run both" and they don`t have the credibility to make me disbelieve what I`ve experienced first hand, and why should they?

What I will say in favor of the 7900 is that it will cut WITH a 385 but weighs 2# less, costs less, is just as smooth, filters it`s air just as well, and is easily made just as well. The 7900 will also outcut a stock 460 and is purported to take mods better than either the 460 or 385 after a few builders finally figured them out.

I was one of the guys asking about the 7900 and it`s ability to be modified and I make no bones about that. My questions were further justified by an e-mail that I received from one of the builders here who at that time stated that the 7900 did not seem to take mods well. Must suck to have no memory.

Russ

one of the builders here who at that time stated that the 7900 did not seem to take mods well. Must suck to have no memory.
With a little original thought this was proved wrong. As well as the myth the Stihls dont mod well.
I will say on the occasion I ran a 385 and a 7900 (both stock) back to back I thought they where very close with maybe a slight edge going to the Dolmar. Of course this was using the hand dyno method AKA seat of the pants. Noise, vibration and a plethora of other thigns can throw one off when testing this way. Timed cuts may be slightly better, but reall how accurate is a human hitting the button on a stop watch? The only real way to test these saws would be to develop a machine that has sensors that measure chain speed and downforce. If you could get the two sensors to comunicate in a way that the the amount of pressure applied was consistant with the highest chain speed you would have a heck of a saw testing machine.

Speaking of B.S., there's know freaking way a 7900 is going to out stump an 066.

What will outcut What?

Originally posted by Mcsaw
Speaking of B.S., there's know freaking way a 7900 is going to out stump an 066.

The answer is it all depends! Wood and bar size, chain preparation and technique. I have never had my hands on a 7900, but did do a pretty good comparison of the 372EHP that Ed built for me and a 066 Stihl with muffler mods. We used the same chain on both saws and the wood was 12 to 14 inch and bars were 16 inch.both operators ran each saw and took turns timing both saws. They were neck and neck and the modifications on the 372 apparently made up for the 066's extra 20 cc displacement. Under those condidtions they were matched.
Put on 28 inch bars and 24 inch wood and there is no dobt the 66 would pull away. Put on a 10 tooth sprocket and the 66 would have had it. Prepare the chain more aggressively and the same would happen. Push a little too hard on the 372 and the nod goes to the 66
The 7900 is about half way between the 372 and the 066 in displacement so the difference in characteristics might not be as apparent, but I bet depending on how you set up conditions, you could have either one stump the other. Send the 066 away to Eds obedience school though and I'd put my money on it over the 7900

Frank

Nice reply Crofter...now we're getting somewhere. It seems most of the comparison and timed cuts between saws (modded and stock) are done in wood that is around 10"-12". I don't think this is a true indication of a larger displacement saw's potential.

Jeff

EHP?

If someone were to want a saw modified especially for big wood, could you give it a treatment that would lend more in the way of torque without pushing its power band higher?

Frank

well if you can run it then get a 3120 or a 088, they will pull the longer bar , some of the guys up here use those big saws on the landing bucking up the trees in to logs but not many fall with them.
I have a ported 3120 here but the longest bar i have is 28 inches, i have some rock maple in the 32 inch size , on the weekend i will try the 3120 then a 7900 just to see how they compare, I know in smaller wood the 7900 wins and that is with a 10 pin on the 3120 , it will be interesting to see what the out come is , I know the 3120 cuts big wood very good , i used it for 6 months cutting on the landing

Brian, you've got some experience with modified saws....if you had a choice, would you run a 32"- 36" bar on stock 90cc saw with the muffler opened up or a smaller displacement saw with the "works"?

Jeff

Last edited:
Russ
Glad to see that your moderator position hasn't changed your attitude any.
I thought that the stock 7900 verses 385 was over but evidently not.
When I had my get together we ran each saw in stock form and the 7900 won every time, in the hands of more then one person.
I think that both saws came here by way of sedanman but I could be mistaken, I seem to have lost my mind.
If you do the same mods to the 7900 as some other saws they don't work as well but all of that has changed. Once you figure the saws out they work well after porting. I think that you heard one of my last ones run via phone.
Credibility?
One of the logger that I had in mind started cutting timber in 1972. I have known him most of my life. We went to school together and we both graduated the same year. He started to cut timber for his father in 72, bought the business from his father in about 82 and its still going strong. He also has a small crew of 4 other people that cut for him. Over those years he used saws from Stihl, Husky and the older Dolmar saws.
Dolmar themselves questioned the credibility of this person and they performed a background check on him. They seemed to be happy with what they found because they sent out a film crew and video taped him and his crew. They also interviewed him and the crew and they all stated that the 7900 was stronger then the 385. It is my understanding that Dolmar now has that tape in Germany and it will be used for advertising.
Later
Dan

Latest posts

Back