PowerSharp!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On another thread I remember he discussed the physics of the raker dressing.

It says explicitly that one chain, one stone, which explains the expense....

I will cut with it and bump this thread a lot!!!!!

Thanks fish, I was thinking about mentioning this doohickey to my dad, if it works, it'd be perfect for folks like him that rarely use a saw, but can't keep it out of the dirt when they do - Sam

Oregon's target group is definitely not us, but the group of folks that are
sick of paying 10$ plus to sharpen a 16-20$ Chain, so a fair evaluation of the
system is needed.

Which, as all of you all should know, the Powersharp system will get......

I was at a seminar today held by a Game Of Logging safety instructor and he was showing us how this thing worked. He had his set up on a Dolmar 420 and he ran the chain in the dirt until it wouldn't cut. He slapped on the sharpener, threw some sparks, and put the saw back into the wood. It cut like a new chain. I would think a homeowner would find utility in it. I think the price was around $70 for the bar, one chain, and the sharpener.

Last edited:
On another thread I remember he discussed the physics of the raker dressing. It says explicitly that one chain, one stone, which explains the expense....
Wow!

Oregon's target group is definitely not us, but the group of folks that are sick of paying 10$ plus to sharpen a 16-20$ Chain, so a fair evaluation of the system is needed.
Ok that makes sense.
Although I have a bit of concern that once 90% of chain sold is either safety or powersharp, or something similar regular chain could become more expensive.

Onya fish!

Last edited:
I bought on to this cruise as an outsider as well, so we will check it out fresh.

Any posts here will be welcomed, I am just a fat mechanic, who wants my
winter wood supply as easy/cheap as I can get...

So my use of this bar/chain system will be on the beginner level, even though
I know of all of the variables.

But I pledge to be fair....

Luckily he sent an 18 inch system, as I am to fat to bend over........

Seriously, I will be brutally honest, as I expect all of you guys to be as well.....

It appears to be very simple to operate according to their video.
Like mentioned before, cost prohibitive to anyone capable of doing their own sharpening.

My concern is all the sparks created. I can see these being banned by Smokey the bear.

By the way, I've no rep left but this is a product I've been wondering about. Good thread Fish.

Fish,
Is there some kind of link in the chain that re-adjusts the stone as it wears? Thanks,
Bob

No, the stone is fixed, and can go on only one way. No adjusting, but one stone, one chain.

attachment.php

Oregon's target group is definitely not us, but the group of folks that are
sick of paying 10$ plus to sharpen a 16-20$ Chain, so a fair evaluation of the
system is needed.

One suggestion that I would have is that you find a friend/neighbor/relative who fits the target consumer profile and under your watchful eye have him/her operate the equipment.

Actually, I would fit the target fairly well. I only cut what I need for firewood
for myself, and otherwise rarely use a saw.
I do fix them and sharpen them, but my use of one would mimic the average
consumer.

Actually, the thought of not having to remove the chain, take it down
and leave it at the local lawnmower shop, and hope they sharpen it correctly
sometime in the next week or so, is quite appealing.
Even more so if their charges approach the $10 range.

Just snapping on the old yellow sharpening thingamajig, and sharpening
the chain while you are still out in the field, well, I can see the appeal.

I'm anxious to see how this works. I can do my own, but my Brother has no clue. Truth of the matter is what I should probably do is buy a new Husqy 435 and powersharp setup and keep it at the cabin then pass on Dad's old saws to someone with more time/patience than money. That way there would always be a running saw at the cabin if I did not have mine along. Add to that-easily sharpened...

I'll also be curious to hear how cut times compare to a properly sharpened "regular" chain to see what if any penalty there is.

Here's another thread about POWERSHARP.

It answers a lot of the questions being asked on this thread.

I realize the topic has been hashed some before, but I chose to start a seperate one, for the reasons I noted in the first few posts.

If the powers that be wish to merge them, that is OK as well.

I was going to go out and cut with it tonight, but Favio died sudddenly,
and I had to make arrangements..........

He was one famous rooster, everyone for miles around knew his name......

I realize the topic has been hashed some before, but I chose to start a seperate one, for the reasons I noted in the first few posts.

Sorry to hear about your rooster. But, shoot yeah bro just keep truckin.your doin a great job man. I dont care if theres another thread or not. ive been very interested since you started this thread, as I know you will have a very unbiased honest opinion/report. **and thats NOT to say the other data/thread/posts/whatever werent. Heck, its just good interesting fun reading.. Press on my good man!:computer:

I will mention one item I saw in another thread (hope I remember this correctly)...the new power sharp system features a carbide tip cutter every so often that keeps the stone true and square.

Did I get that right?

Mark

There is one link on the chain with carbide on it the dresses the stone. YOU ARE CORRECT SIR!!!

Here's another thread about POWERSHARP.

It answers a lot of the questions being asked on this thread.

Fish

I thought that I'd link the other thread so the others that haven't read it can get up to speed. No way am I saying that there shouldn't be another thread.

I like what you're doing with the PS!

PS engineer......I'd be willing to test PS too.

Actually, I would fit the target fairly well. I only cut what I need for firewood
for myself, and otherwise rarely use a saw.
I do fix them and sharpen them, but my use of one would mimic the average
consumer.

Actually, the thought of not having to remove the chain, take it down
and leave it at the local lawnmower shop, and hope they sharpen it correctly
sometime in the next week or so, is quite appealing.
Even more so if their charges approach the $10 range.

Just snapping on the old yellow sharpening thingamajig, and sharpening
the chain while you are still out in the field, well, I can see the appeal.

I'm not sure if I technically fit the demographic but I only cut once a year. I used to be the guy who kept three chains in rotation and dropped them off to be sharpened. Once I figured out the advantage of hand sharpening I have done so. Now I enjoy sharpening and can't imagine using a tool like this and not having that hands on relationship with the chain. It may sound odd but I feel like it's a craft. I'd hate to trade that for a curvy stone.

What happens when Bubba and Joey-one-tooth decide they ain't gonna spend no money on the special chain and they stick in a loop of regular dagular chain?
Will it be sparkly? Will it be high velocity shrapnel? I must know this....

only one way Fish.

Sorry to hear about your rooster. I hope he wasn't too tough after doin all that hard work. Was he the foreman? I can't remember.

Back