PowerSharp!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oregon's target group is definitely not us, but the group of folks that are
sick of paying 10$ plus to sharpen a 16-20$ Chain, so a fair evaluation of the
system is needed.

Which, as all of you all should know, the Powersharp system will get......

I agree that alot of folks here won't understand the need for something like this, but I think it's a great idea and hope it works out well.

The price is not really a concern. When people have to take a chain in to be sharpend, they have already rounded a chain cutter halfway back so how much of that chain do you think will be left when it is put on the machine to sharpen it?

Do you think that most shops will take the time to dress a raker down when they sharpen a whole pile of chains laying there?

Even if that chain only cuts 3/4's as good as a regular chain, if it cuts the same all the time, ,they will much better off then running there regular chain so dull they cant cut anyway.

Why do you think you see so many inexpensive saws burnt up and laying in the junk now?

I will mention one item I saw in another thread (hope I remember this correctly)...the new power sharp system features a carbide tip cutter every so often that keeps the stone true and square.

Did I get that right?

Mark

It's actually a Diamond tipped cutter dressing link.

Looks like a good cutter and design, however, I think it will fail as it's designed for Harry the Home Owner.
What happens when the bar groove becomes worn and the chain is flopping around in the bar like a wet dish rag? It's doesn't look ID10T proof to me. Lol
John

attachment.php
Looks like a good cutter and design, however, I think it will fail as it's designed for Harry the Home Owner.
What happens when the bar groove becomes worn and the chain is flopping around in the bar like a wet dish rag? It's doesn't look ID10T proof to me. Lol
John

Well, here is a pic or two of the dressing link, it should dress squarely/
relatively, the worn bar/floppy scenario could be applied to a lot of
possible long term problems.

attachment.php

Still been real busy, but took Powersharp over to the field. Had to use my Echo trimmer to find the old wood, and I have to admit. Out of the box, that
chain did some serious rippin'.

I was impressed, much faster than new Oregon 91/Stihl Picco.

attachment.php

Went through it real quick, must have hit some dirt on the last cut......

attachment.php

Hey Fish

Any updates? Great pics. Can't wait to see your first video cutting.

You are suppose to file the gullets out of the cutters by hand as they wear. You had to do that on the first generation and the chain does not look like it has changed much.

Looks like a great system, I do not fell huge trees nor do i use a saw all day. I think this would be great to have.

Something like this would actually be pretty cool on an Alaskan mill. You could touch up the chain part way through a long cut without even taking the saw out of the cut.

Not that I see it becoming practical or cost effective for that application, but it would be nice.

When is the .404 version coming out?:)

I apologize to the forum and the Oregon guys, due to hard economic times I
have taken employment at other places, and have invested many hours.

I cut some wood with the Powersharp system on my Poulan Pro, and it
cut great until I hit some dirt, and the cutting slowed.

I quickly perused the instructions, and "sharpened" the chain, and went to
cut, and it cut much better, but not as good as new.

I was going to post my results, but I was not sure of my "procedure".

Being October, and the Expo being in October, I thought I would wait, and
talk to the Oregon guys at the Expo,, and I did.

I stopped at the outdoor booth, and quizzed them on sharpening.

The guys convinced me that I was way too mousey on my tecnique, That I
should rev the saw to full rpms, then depress the plunger device, and count a full 4 seconds after seeing sparks. They did this for the crowd, and the chain cut good again, putting out decent chips.

I took some pics of them, as I have no friends to take pix of me.....

Here is a pic of the guy sharpening, right after cutting that groove in the
top of that cinder block.
attachment.php

I apologize to the forum and the Oregon guys, due to hard economic times I
have taken employment at other places, and have invested many hours.

I cut some wood with the Powersharp system on my Poulan Pro, and it
cut great until I hit some dirt, and the cutting slowed.

I quickly perused the instructions, and "sharpened" the chain, and went to
cut, and it cut much better, but not as good as new.

I was going to post my results, but I was not sure of my "procedure".

Being October, and the Expo being in October, I thought I would wait, and
talk to the Oregon guys at the Expo,, and I did.

I stopped at the outdoor booth, and quizzed them on sharpening.

The guys convinced me that I was way too mousey on my tecnique, That I
should rev the saw to full rpms, then depress the plunger device, and count a full 4 seconds after seeing sparks. They did this for the crowd, and the chain cut good again, putting out decent chips.

I took some pics of them, as I have no friends to take pix of me.....

Here is a pic of the guy sharpening, right after cutting that groove in the
top of that cinder block.
attachment.php

fish when were you at the oregon booth ?

I was at the Expo on Friday.

attachment.php

Here is a poor pic of a stone that has sharpened out most of the life out of a chain, it was grooved out pretty deep.

I was amazed about how brutal those guys were with the chain, and how durable it was.

He cut a deep groove in the cinder block, all the way across the top, and
cut with it, and it was obviously dull. He then put the stone on, and depressed it for a full 4 seconds on full throttle, then went back to cutting, and it cut as fast as new.

I took it out last night and cut a load of wood, but I had to sharpen it first
as i had not done so properly since I used it before. As it was not very
dull, so I did it just 2 seconds, and it cut like new, very fast.

All in all, I like it, and will continue to use it as intended, just as I would
using a normal chain, and cutting my wood this winter.
I am curious if it cuts as fast as the regular 91 chain.

I know a couple of guys that really need the one.
I made the mistake of doing the chains they rock a few years ago.
They are better about keeping them out of the dirt but are still hard on chains.
I may put a bug in their wifes ears for Christmas.

Thanks,
TT

I also really think this could take off. curious how many times you can sharpen the chain under normal cutting conditions...

I am curious if it cuts as fast as the regular 91 chain.

The 91 PowerSharp and regular 91 chains had the same cutting speed in our comparative testing.

Thanks for breaking a sweat to test the PowerSharp system and stopping by the OREGON booth at GIE.

What happens when Bubba and Joey-one-tooth decide they ain't gonna spend no money on the special chain and they stick in a loop of regular dagular chain?

Regular chain will run on the PowerSharp bar as long as it is the correct pitch and gauge, and has the correct number of drive links. You just can't sharpen it with this system - would damage it like hitting concrete.

The only reason you need the 'special' bar is to be sure that it has the right radius tip (to match the stone), and has the mounting holes for the bar end sharpener.

If you buy the 'system' (bar, chain, stone, bar-end-sharpener) and don't like it, you still end up with a bar you can use.

Philbert

Regular chain will run on the PowerSharp bar as long as it is the correct pitch and gauge, and has the correct number of drive links. You just can't sharpen it with this system - would damage it like hitting concrete.

The only reason you need the 'special' bar is to be sure that it has the right radius tip (to match the stone), and has the mounting holes for the bar end sharpener.

If you buy the 'system' (bar, chain, stone, bar-end-sharpener) and don't like it, you still end up with a bar you can use.

Philbert

Bubba and Joey will use the stone on the chain they already have...

if it is possible it is inevitable. I'm just curious if shrapnel would result?

Back