powerstroke or cummins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the killer dowel pin?

The timing cover locating dowel pins on some trucks,mostly 94-98s were affected.After the 98 yr,cummins reduced the size of the hole in the timing housing so it would fit tighter,and couldnt fall out.The fit was loose,and the pin would work its way out over time,eventually it fell onto the gear drive for the camshaft.It can do serious damage,usually it blows a hole in the timing gear housing,and continues to run while pumping oil out.If your lucky it will fall right down into the oil pan,where it will just roll around harmlessly.Timing housing is a big job on a cummins,the cam needs to come out to change it,as does the inj pump needs to come off the cover as well. The PM is easy,takes about 2 hrs,remove timing cover,drive pin back in,and make up a tab to hold it in place.There is a bolt right next to the pin,so a homemade oblong washer under the bolt will hold it in,problem solved.If i had a truck from those years,I would do the KDP fix,just to avoid the potential problem.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/dodge/0706dp_1997_dodge_ram_kdp/index.html

page 2 of the article shows a great pic of the dowel pin tab. You dont need to buy this kit,just get the new gasket,seal,and make a tab,use some locktite,and your done.

this is a better site
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/Dowel_Pin/tab.htm

Last edited:
Well I said screw the diesel and pulled the trigger on a 1987 Chevrolet with a 7.5 Fisher speed cast plow and steel flatbed! Nice old rig. Muncie trans and a good running 305. The diesels here were all just too much money and everyone was beating me up on my trade so I said screw it! Thanks for all the help and comments.

Tim

Well I said screw the diesel and pulled the trigger on a 1987 Chevrolet with a 7.5 Fisher speed cast plow and steel flatbed! Nice old rig. Muncie trans and a good running 305. The diesels here were all just too much money and everyone was beating me up on my trade so I said screw it! Thanks for all the help and comments.

Tim

Glad you got a truck! Good diesels are hard to find used,either you cant justify the high price,or they are really beat hard.

Anyone in SW Wisconsin, NE IA, NW, IL need a truck?

Here's a possibility if you've got some time... I don't. Nor do I have the skill/tools to get it up to specs. Is it a good deal? I just don't know enough.

http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/1065265463.html

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Reply to: see below
Date: 2009-03-07, 10:19PM CST

I have a 96 Ford F-350 power stroke diesel for sale. It has a181,000, crew cab long box, leather loaded, has an edge evolution programmer in it, K&N FIP kit, Alpine CD player, Has some rust on it, I have another box, new fenders, and other parts that go with it. This truck has a BNW 5th wheel plate, has rear air bags, runs great always starts, it will get 18-20 miles per gallon which is great for a truck this size. Has two sets of rims that go with it as well. If you want to put the time into this truck, you would have a great looking truck. I need to get rid of this ASAP since I am moving and can't take this with me. I am asking $6000 firm and no trades. The bank has a note on this truck. If interested please call 608-341-0026 or 608-319-2200 or email Jamie at [email protected]

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1065265463

Anyone? Anyone?
Tony

Back