powerstroke or cummins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HD-tech-NH

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well my old one ton has bit the dust. So I am in the market for a used truck. I have been looking at powerstrokes and was wondering which motor you guys thought was best. The 6.0 or 7.3? Also I've got my eye on an 02 dodge 3/4 ton with 24 valve cummins and six speed. Some testimonials would be very helpful. Thanks

Tim

try puttin' this in the reader's rides section... you may get more responses.

Not much on the domestic diesel market that is worth buying. The powerchoke 7.3 was about as good as you were going to get but I wont bore with a recount with the trouble we had with our 1996 7.3. The 6.0 and new twin turbo are nothing but a headache. The dodge 12 and 24 valve Cummins are good motors but are surrounded by a Dodge truck. You are on you are on your own with the dodge. We went with the Chevy duramax. So far no trouble, but it was not the first choice. Given all options a Mitsubshi Fuso FG 4x4 would have been a top choice but everything we looked at was beat to death and overpriced. Just out of dumb a$$ coincidence, there is one on this weeks craigslist.
http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/996291288.html

If you go with a Powerstroke go with the 7.3 litre.
I had a 97 Powerstroke, it gave me a lot of problems. I knew I was in trouble when I couldn't find an injector pump on a diesel.
I've got a 98 Dodge with a 24 valve Cummins now, it will out pull the Powerstroke real bad.
My buddy has a 6.0 litre Powerstroke and it is giving him more problems than my 7.3 did (unbelievable).

Andy

If it was me, I would go for the best of both worlds. Take the Cummins and put it in Ford SuperDuty body. I have a Cummins, but man the ride sucks. Love the way the SuperDuty's ride. Just looking for the right basket case to buy. If you do some searching there are companies that sell the truck already done for you.

Glenn

Ford ahs the better body, heater controls power windows etc (seem to not have as many quirks etc). The 7.3 is a good motor. Lots of guys who have the 6.0 I know of had injecotr and head gasket issues. Oh yeah gotta pull the cab to work on the back of the motor and heads. The cummins motor is excellent

If you go Ford try and find a 2003 or older with decent miles, stay away from the 03-05 6.0L I think the Dodge's are alright as well, Good motors, powertrains seem to be the biggest problem especially with the late 90's and early 2000's. Good Luck!

Like others have said, The 6.0 (FORD) has a bad rap and I would not personally buy one after all the problems I have seen from my buddies 6.0's.. I do like the way the super duty's look but the newer motors are junk including the new twin turbo models, I read they already have plans in place to switch to another diesel for the fords in 2010. The old 6.9 and 7.3 powerstrokes were good motors but the automatic trannies are garbage when worked hard. The older 12 & 24 valve cummins were and are great motors, problem is you have to buy a dodge to get one in a pickup. Now If a GMC/CHEVY is a possibility for you look at 05's and newer for the best bang for the buck. The 06/07 duramax allison combo is ideal IMHO.. it has the LBZ duramax with the 6 sp allison without all the new DPF crap.

I have a 04.5 cummins 5.9 L.. The dodge truck an't that bad - just take care of the $$$$ you invested in a diesel. Just like your saw and the oil thread :chainsaw:

If I could do it again I would get a 2nd gen cummins 02 or 03 with low miles and leather if thats what you want - now days you could find one for a real bargin I would think.. Then spend $3 - 4000 on a Suncoast Trans!! You would not believe the diff it makes.. You would be smiling every time you got in the truck. Just like a 088 on steroids :chainsaw:

ps: besides in 3 - 5 yrs who really nows whats going to happen with the auto/gas issues.. I would not spend more then I had too.. I wish I would have bought used and put in a trans..

Last edited:
I have a 97 PSD, no major problems in 225,00 miles. The 7.3's have their BS problems and are typical to all, cam sensors, injector O-rings, glow plug sensor, fuel heater element. Other than those things no problems. Most of those were fixed as the years went on and were phased out except that damn glow plug relay. Theres a lot of old 7.3 1st generation powerstrokes with a tom of miles on em. I like the Ford body and drivetrain with a Cummins.

92 7.3 idi. not a stroke. 232,000. It'll take everything I throw at it or in it.
My 93 1 ton dually has the 7.3 idi with 275,000 and still pulls my skidsteer around no problem. As far as powerstroke vs cummins I would go with an older powerstroke just because I like the V8 more than the L6. A powerstroke with an Allison trans would be the cat's butt IMHO.

I vote for the Cummins in a 12V , makes decent power and can be bombed cheap for more power , no funky electronic stuff to worry about:rock:

I drive a 2000 Ford 7.3 powerstroke, with almost 200k. The motor has never been apart except for a water pump. I live in Michigan and never even have to plug it in. If you keep good batteries in it and the glow plug relay works, its good to go. Every vehicle is only as good as its taken care of. This truck pulls a trailer every workday all summer. Would not hesitate to buy another one.:clap:

I work for the road ept here, and our shop works on the ambulances for the county. 6.0's are pretty terrible. Something is always leaking...always. Lots of head problems. I love the 7.3 though. But ive also heard good things about cummins.

98.5-2002 Cummins have bad pumps, be aware of the KDP (killer dowel pin ) also, and the '53' block can crack. Poor torque converters are the biggest driveline problem. I have a 98.5 have done the KDP and replaced the converter, installed big injectors and 4in exhaust,truck has been great otherwise. They all have their problems.

There is a definitive window of good Ford Powerstrokes '98-ish to '02-ish. BUT, only the 7.3!!! They finally dialed them in but them phased them out for the '03 6.0 due to government/emmisions requirements. The diesel guy working next to me at our Ford dealership has been buried in 6.0's (and now 6.4"s) for 6 years now and ready to quit to go work at Doggy Daycare to save what remains of his sanity.

IF, and i mean IF you happen to get a 6.0 that runs without problems, you'd be grinning forever. Good luck with that though. The 7.3 latter years (after '98) don't give the kick in the pants that a rare good 6.0 does, but it'll last and last and last, and vastly more tolerant of fuel quality and contamination (i.e. bio).

Back