PP330 broke, get an ms290?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldboyscout

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'd like to first thank you all for help you've given in the past.
My Poulan Pro 330 apparently has a broken fuel tank. I love the saw, but my repair shop says it's going to cost a lot to fix, so I'm thinking of getting Stihl ms290. Is this going to be an equivalent saw in terms of power? I've been using a 20" bar with both full and semi chisel chain.

By all means NO - that is just a large "consumer saw", regardless what Stihl classifies it as!

Waaay to large and heavy for the power as well and really a relic of the past!

That tank on that Poulan is a pretty common item. (If its the same as a 335 Poulan Pro). Plus those series of saws are one of the easiest models of saws I've ever worked on. I would take it apart and see if you can fix it yourself. I'll send you a tank if you pay the Post office for it. If you don't want to fix it give me first dibs on buying it from you.

Let me guess on this one. Your repair guy is a Stihl dealer. Local Stihl dealer to me told a neighbor that his very clean 041 couldn't be repaired, and tried to sell him some kind of Wood Boss.

By all means NO - that is just a large "consumer saw", regardless what Stihl classifies it as!

Waaay to large and heavy for the power as well and really a relic of the past!

Kind of like casting a lure to a bass on the nest.........

You know that the old bass will have to hit it................

yes the shop is a Stihl dealer. He said the 330 tank isn't available but can get something to work that still cost a lot for the part. I don't doubt that as I replaced my chain brake and it was expensive.
I was even thinking of JB welding it but if I can get a tank (Vibes?) as i said I love the saw.
The dealer is saying the usual thing that it's not worth putting money in something that you may not get parts for or be able to fix in the future.

Are you sure that the tank is really broke and that its just not the tank vent leaking ?

Replacing a 330 with a 290 would be a downgrade to me.
Wait now....is this some fact..??- or - just your 'demented' opinion..you are offering??

You and 'barneyrb'..aka..the '"Poulan tribe"...deserve each other..!! - (I actually own 4 Poulans)

Sort of like peanut butter...pick your style.........regular nutty...or crunchy nutty..!!
:cheers:
J2F aka 'the demented chicken'.....and 'nullified mark'........you SUCK..!!...LOL..!!!

Last edited:
Wait now....is this some fact..??- or - just your 'demented' opinion..you are offering??

You and 'barneyrb'..aka..the '"Poulan tribe"...deserve each other..!! - I actually own 4 Poulans

Sort of like peanut butter...pick your style.........regular nutty...or crunchy nutty..!!
J2F aka 'the demented chicken'.....and 'nullified mark'........you SUCK..!!...LOL..!!!

The 029/290 won't hold a candle to a PP330. Just got rid of 2 029S's this summer and guess who's still here? That's right the 330.

Don't get me wrong that series of Stihl is a solid dependable saw but not in the same league.

MS 290 = Big-Bang-For-The-Buck-Boat-Anchor. I have one, my first STIHL purchase. Now it just sits on the shelf staring at me. 550 xp or STIHL MS 361 are #1.

You and 'barneyrb'..aka..the '"Poulan tribe"...deserve each other..!! - (I actually own 4 Poulans)

All the way to the spurs.........again

Soooooooo, are you implying someone might be a moron??:msp_biggrin:
As a Pro gambler...(that has played into the friction)...just sayin' maybe..??

As always..."things are seldom what they seem"...

Actually perhaps we're on a trail of understanding our professions and how so different they are.

I hope that the 'nips' are now friendly..and we work together..!!
J2F

Latest posts

Back