PP330 broke, get an ms290?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope that the 'nips' are now friendly..and we work together..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Maaayyybbbbeeee, then again maybe not.:)

But since your here flapping that beak anyway, how about sharing your hands on experience with both the PP330 and the MS290 ant tell us what you think the OP should do.

You know, actually contribute to a thread.

But since your here flapping that beak anyway, how about sharing your hands on experience with both the PP330 and the MS290 ant tell us what you think the OP should do.

I've got an ok running 330 and worked on numerous 029/290's and I haven't seen one that will equal my 330's. performance. Mark has even run it

I'd take a 330 over a plastic 290 any day. Owned both too. :msp_wink:

pp3303450002.jpg

I've only had the saw apart enough to change the plug. So I haven't seen the tank. I suspected I broke it when I stepped on it and broke the chain brake. I didn't realize it was leaking at the time.

LOL; I see ST has contributed to this thread just remember he only looks at pictures oh saw's this would be another one of those threads that would be really nice to know how much experience he has with either of those saw's kinda like when I ask him this question a few weeks ago

ST; How much time do you have running a MS 461 or MS 261 or even the Husky 550; Would love to here the answer to that one :wink2:

And ST has had alot to say about all three of those saw's :msp_wink:

The reason I haven't put my two cents in is because I haven't ran a PP330 sure I've seen pictures of them but seeing pictures of them and using one of them is totally different :)

I have ran the 290 and it's like the Husky 455 I own...Very reliable..but over weight for the power.

I've NEVER had my hands on a 330 - as I've said...local servicing dealer is 54 miles round-trip
Sooo...the Poulan brand just doesn't sell very well here...Home Depot sells Echos (also NO servicing dealer here)
and Lowes sell homeowner saws...only one servicing dealer...and it's the local largest Stihl dealership.

If a good close Poulan dealer...then go Poulan - - if a good close Stihl dealer..go Stihl - - if both..."pick your poison"..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I make my living betting against the five largest banks in NYC...

Like a lioness or cheetah...I mark my time - - they're gonna make a mistake...and that's when I attack.
And I go in leveraged via options - like a cheetah on your ass...you're pretty much screwed..!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oddly..after my first casual reference of my occupation..I've received many PM's..some inquisitive - others think I suck..!!
I'm betting and generally winning 70% of the time on the banks foreclosing on people that can't get refinancing at lower rate..!!
:cheers:
J2F

The mount is on the bottom of the saw near where the handlebar mount is. I can't remember offhand but if I can fix it, YOU CAN TOO!!1. Seriously, the first saw I ever owned was one of the Craftsman saws of that same series of Poulans. I've torn apart and and rebuilt several of the 335, 3300, 3000, 2800 and there Craftsman variations. They are easy as pie to work on.

I also wouldn't touch some Boss saw if I had a good running 330.

By all means NO - that is just a large "consumer saw", regardless what Stihl classifies it as!

Waaay to large and heavy for the power as well and really a relic of the past!

get a life troll. your spouting off on consumer saws is old way old. do you know how much he uses the saw? how many times a year? go back to your soap box for husky's.

I got to say I'm a little disapointed in the way this thread is turning out.

Seems a fairly new member who is not up on all there is to know about his chainsaw asks for opinions about fixing his old saw or buying a new one.

Myself and several others felt that his old saw is a better one then the dealer is presenting to him and the fact that his old one should be a lot cheaper to fix then buying a new one as well.

What the hell happened after that?

Along came some Stihl guys to poo poo the guys who feel the Poulan is the better saw? Why? I never said anything other then the 330 is a better saw then the 290. It dont seem hard to believe to the people who actually have experiance with both.

You guys dont hear me constantly downing a MS290 do you? Just because I choose the 330 over the 290 dont mean that I am downing it either. Just that I think the 330 is the better of the two. I have owned them both and have pleanty of time on them as well. Like Scoot, the 290 is gone and the 330 is still here.

Now you guys want to keep messing around or do you want to help with the thread?

man, fix what ya got, get your hands dirty. Clean saw with compressed air and rags and brushes etc before work. Don't be intimidated at all with saws, the vast majority of fixes are usually easy. Those era poulans are very well built as regards repairing.

Dealers want like 80 clams an hour for shop tech time, of course they will (mostly) always present you with sticker shock repair estimates.

Just take your time, take it apart, have the illustrated parts list handy for reference, repair or replace as needed.

sorry everyone I didn't mean to start a heated discussion.
I am a little disappointed that parts aren't available for the 330, but I also tend to keep things going as long as I can. My Jeep TJ has a new engine and clutch and I'll run it to over 200K.
So I'll pick up the saw tomorrow, have a look inside and see If I can keep it running with a new (used) tank. Or glue or weld it. I don't think the shop will be thrilled.
I guess an equivalent Stihl will be $500 or more, which is out of the question right now.
Again I'm thankful for everyone's input. I'll post pics of what I find inside the saw. Be interesting to see if I broke it when I broke the chain brake or if it was something else.

Last edited:
sorry everyone I didn't mean to start a heated discussion.
I am a little disappointed that parts aren't available for the 330, but I also tend to keep things going as long as I can. My Jeep TJ has a new engine and clutch and I'll run it to over 200K.
So I'll pick up the saw tomorrow, have a look inside and see If I can keep it running with a new (used) tank. I don't think the shop will be thrilled.
I guess an equivalent Stihl will be $500 or more, which is out of the question right now.
Again I'm thankful for everyone's input. I'll post pics of what I find inside the saw. Be interesting to see if I broke it when I broke the chain brake or if it was something else.

There is NO equivalent saw in the Stihl lineup at this time.

Mike

I got to say I'm a little disapointed in the way this thread is turning out.

Seems a fairly new member who is not up on all there is to know about his chainsaw asks for opinions about fixing his old saw or buying a new one.

Myself and several others felt that his old saw is a better one then the dealer is presenting to him and the fact that his old one should be a lot cheaper to fix then buying a new one as well.

What the hell happened after that?

Along came some Stihl guys to poo poo the guys who feel the Poulan is the better saw? Why? I never said anything other then the 330 is a better saw then the 290. It dont seem hard to believe to the people who actually have experiance with both.

You guys dont hear me constantly downing a MS290 do you? Just because I choose the 330 over the 290 dont mean that I am downing it either. Just that I think the 330 is the better of the two. I have owned them both and have pleanty of time on them as well. Like Scoot, the 290 is gone and the 330 is still here.

Now you guys want to keep messing around or do you want to help with the thread?

Repped!

Randy/ Mastermind ported a 330 and the video is on his youtube channel. I was so impressed that I wanted one- so I told him to find me one and I would include a finder's fee for the effort. He found me one (Jeremiah Johnson) is the user. About this same time I ran into a little financial trouble (dog fight) and one of my dogs had to have surgury and I had to put the other one down. But the saw is still on my mind. I will have one. I don't know how to figure out the user's actual names on here, but I hope the guy still has one when I get this vet bill paid off.:rock:

I am a Stihl hater. I tried something new and have completely crossed over. There is not a single Stihl saw made currently that I would own past having it long enough to sell it for something better- Husky/Johnsered, older Poulan Pro. etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back