PP330 broke, get an ms290?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry everyone I didn't mean to start a heated discussion.
I am a little disappointed that parts aren't available for the 330, but I also tend to keep things going as long as I can. My Jeep TJ has a new engine and clutch and I'll run it to over 200K.
So I'll pick up the saw tomorrow, have a look inside and see If I can keep it running with a new (used) tank. Or glue or weld it. I don't think the shop will be thrilled.
I guess an equivalent Stihl will be $500 or more, which is out of the question right now.
Again I'm thankful for everyone's input. I'll post pics of what I find inside the saw. Be interesting to see if I broke it when I broke the chain brake or if it was something else.

i guarantee you there is someone here that has the part you need, stored in a box under the workbench. Choose your friends wisely here- and they will serve you well.

Take these two screws out, and there will two on the other side also. If you will take and post a full side picture (both sides) I will show you which ones to remove. The carb and all linkage comes off along with the impulse line.

263097d1353368170-poulan-330-screws-jpg

View attachment 263097

I started taking it apart but I can't figure out what next. Any ideas?

Did you check to see where its leaking before you started tearing it apart? I would have.

You should have taken a air hose and blown all the crud off of it before tearing it apart as well. It helps keeping that crud out of the engine when you have the carb off.

I think you could just leave the carb on the handle to remove it, by taking the carb boot off the cyl side and removing the impulse line from the cyl as well.

Since you have it this far, take the impulse line off the top of the carb, pull the choke lever straight up then unhook if from the choke shaft then you can pull the carb back, up and then turn it to remove the throttle wire from the carb shaft.

Then push the carb boot through the handle housing and then remove the screws from the antivibe mounts and remove the tank.

Take these two screws out, and there will two on the other side also. If you will take and post a full side picture (both sides) I will show you which ones to remove. The carb and all linkage comes off along with the impulse line.

263097d1353368170-poulan-330-screws-jpg

View attachment 263097

Nice saw. Spring anti-vibe, adjustable oiler, mag case. Hmmm theres a saw that comes to mind that doesn't have any of those features...
Bet ya $5 that tank is NOT leaking.

It definitely leaks, but I don't see any cracks at this point. The shop obviously didn't take it apart either.

The spring turns with the screw, and I don't see a nut on the other side.?

OK I got the 4 screws out (what's the purpose of the black plastic plugs over them?)

I loosened the clamp on the carb boot at the cylinder side but it doesn't want to move. I'm afraid of ripping it.

OK I got the 4 screws out (what's the purpose of the black plastic plugs over them?)

I loosened the clamp on the carb boot at the cylinder side but it doesn't want to move. I'm afraid of ripping it.

There is a lip on the boot and a recess on the intake that the boot fits around. I CAREFULLY pry it off with a small screwdriver. Never ripped one yet.

Really loose, enough to slide the clamp back. take a screwdriver and put between the boot and cylinder and slowly start working it off by going around both sides and top.

got the boot off

there's a black (vacuum?) line that I can't get off of the cylinder. The wires also don't want to pull through the handle.

Last edited:
got the boot off

there's a black (vacuum?) line that I can't get off of the cylinder. The wires also don't want to pull through the handle.

Thats the pulse line to the carb. Might have a small clamp on it. Clean around there and remove it with pliers. The wires fit. Take one out at a time.

got the boot off

there's a black (vacuum?) line that I can't get off of the cylinder. The wire's also don't want to pull through the handle.

Unless its been changed before there is a small spring clamp on the impulse line where it fits over the nipple on the cyl. You need to reach in there and sqeeze the ends of the clamp together and then slide the clamp back and then you can push the hose off from behind it with a screw driver.

Once you push the line back through the carb box, you will probably have enough room to pull the wires through.

fought with those #$@^wires and got them out. I doubt I'll ever get it back together. I still don't see any damage, but it was definitely leaking fuel. How is that clear fuel line supposed to be sealed?
View attachment 263148

Last edited:
The fuel line seals itself by being slightly larger than the hole it goes through.
If your is loose in the hole it has shrunk and will need to be replaced.
That may well be where the fuel was leaking from also.

Mike

Back