PP385XP Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just thought I'd post a few pics that Dan Henry sent me of my new Power Ported 385XP..

Last edited:
What do you mean of course I run that saw but I'am anal about keeping stuff clean I have probally only run 15-20 tanks through it max it's really just broken in if you ask me,I don't use that as my main saw most of the time I use my 064AV I only use this saw for the bigger stump cuts and such although now it will be my main saw and the 064AV will be going for some Power Porting..I'll post some pics of me and the 385 at work when it comes home :D ..And yes I do use the machines alot.

Later Rob..

Rob,
Your 385 is looking good..... Are you excited yet ?? LOL
Let us know how she performs when you get it .(I already have a good idea, hold on to it if you can)
Rob it looks like you take good care of your equipment .I think you have too now day's considering what thing's cost.

Eric,

You sure are right I can't wait to try it when it comes back I'll let you know how it does,and you are definetly right as much as stuff cost nowadays I try my hardest to keep all my equipment as clean as possible that saw does'nt really have a ton of hours on it but it has had a few good days under her belt..I'll keep in touch.Oh yeah by the way good luck with your new PP372XP :D I can't wait to meet all you guys at the ECC...

Later Rob.

Ben

I only build saws in one stage,which includes the following modifications.
Exhaust port timing
Intake port timing
Transfer port timing
Polishing
Opening up the muffler
Change Ignition timing
Carburetor mods
Mill cyl base for squash bard adjustment
Piston modifications

The cost on Power Porting is still at 200.00 US$ plus shipping.I also have a 7 working day turn over time frame.

I really dont want to start building any other stages for saws.If anyone is interested in a lesser stage,your best bet would be to send it to Dennis or Walker,they are both sponsors here and they have to eat also.

As far as to how my work may differ from Ken or Dennis is really hard for me to answer,I have never looked inside of any of there saws.I am sure that both of the above people build good saws and you would be happy with a saw built be either one of them.

As far as my port timing number go.I came up with my own numbers from nothing more then trial and error,believe me when I say that I had more then my share of errors along the way.As per conversation with Kenn we discovered that my numbers and his were very close to each others,only a three degree variable.I have since then been using his numbers,I really cant see any difference in performance but I also see no reason not to believe the master himself.
Later
Dan

Hello Dan, I thinking more along the lines of what numbers you plug into your saws. It shouldnt be a seceret as any one can reverse engineer one of your saws after you build it to find out. The reason i ask Is I would like to plug the numbers in to some software a freinds got.

Ben, yes..anyone can reverse engineer the saws that are built...but they need to buy one first...The numbers in chainsaws vary between displacements and design....If you want the figures...buy the saws...or do it by trial and error as the rest of the builders have....I was fortunate enough to side step alot of trial and error with help from Ken Dunn about two years?? or so ago...the two prior years i spent trying a bunch of different things.

Dan, your powerporting is sounding good....pretty much the same as my stage 2 saws...Stage 1 saws are still above Walkers, but once again..more expensive....Walkers still build good saws for the price they charge.

Do you feel the same about arborists. "With a ladder and a 044 and a rope" I can do that removal so $700 seems like alot to me.
Depends on how easy of a removal it was. Face it some removals are very easy. If it was beyond my scope I would indeed hire someone. Now back to the Walkers deal. It takes next to no skill to open a muffler up and match it to the cylinder. The specs are out there on how to do it. The port polish job is for eye candy/marketing as it has been proven that polishing has no effect. So, IMO anyone can Walkerize there saw for the price of a dremal tool and a few bits. Now a btter question for you would be. would you pay a arborist 700 clams to do a removal? Of course not you are one. Same principle with a saw.

Well guy's I should have my saw back by Friday maybe I'll be able to time a few cuts in the afternoon or saturday and post them..I might have a few pics to post as well :D

Later Rob..

Guys chill out the walkers have alot of knowledge about saws,as does Dennis,KD,Dan and any others out there,some maybe better than others but it's nothing to argue over..Just buy one and try it out you'll probally fall in love....

Later Rob..

p.s. I would love to race my walkerized 372 against your 440 what a laugh especially since yours has been modified at home as good as walkers can do it.
Bring it! My 440 hasnt been modifed by anyone. I simply purchased a dual port cover from Stihl. Something you husky zealots can not do.

You are telling me that Walkers saw shop has been ripping people off for thirty years telling them they are modifying thier saws, when they have simply been punching holes in the muffler.?
Never said they ripped anyone off. They simply offer a service that people could do at home very easily. Now if they offered the level of modification that Dan, Dennis, or Ken do. Where port timing is changed I would never advocate some doing it at home.

I can assure you Walkers are not "ripping anyone off". They provide a service for a fee. They also do more work than just match and polish the port and open the muffler. I have worked on many of their saws, and feel that they are a well built saw. They will go farther than the typical Walkerizing if you pay for it. I happen to have one of their race 394's. And I can assure you that they did a pile of work on that saw as well. They never made a name in the business by building slow saws for the last 30 years.

That being said, I know my stages of tuning, Ken's, and Dan's are another level above that. Don't think for a minute that Walkers cant build you a fast race saw. I just feel and personally believe Ken has the fastest that I have seen.

(I know my grammar sucks..lol...)

Back