PP4218A cylinder swap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Car-guy2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've got a couple Poulan Pro 4218's with toasted cylinders. I don't have any money in them and was thinking about putting a piston and cylinder on the av model. The info I'm finding shows a plated and an unplated cylinder with matching unplayed and plated piston. Does anyone know if I can use the 530071885 plated cylinder and 530071882 unplated piston on a pp4218a?
I know these are throw away saws, but should hold up good with a plated cylinder. I've looked at both pistons on eBay and they look like they are different, particularly the strato cutouts in the skirt.
Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

Here is the IPL: http://www.poulanpro.com/ddoc/ppoi/ppoi2004_usen/ppoi2004_usen__530165649-01.pdf
That P&C will work. Is it worth the cost? I have 5+ strato Poulans in boxes with scored P&C. I never rationalized spending $50-$70 on a P&C kit for a $65 saw as a good runner. Maybe you've found better price?
I was thinking that this cylinder would solve the toasted P&C issue that is so prevalent in these saws. Don't these saws come from the factory with the unplated cylinders?
Or were there some each way? I know there are several model variations. Are you pretty confident the two pistons are the interchangeable(530071882 & 530071883)

I'm only confident in what IPL says...71882 and 71885 go together. A rule of thumb is both can't be plated. @Chris-PA should know.
I'm afraid I don't have any of the strato 42cc saws. I was under the impression that none of the new strato 42cc engines were chromed, but I don't know that for sure. However, the lack of plating is not what causes the scoring. I have a unplated, ported pre-strato 42cc that I run the heck out of with no issues. I also have a PP338PT pole saw/trimmer with a very similar unplated strato engine and it also works well. In fact the unplated cylinder conducts heat better, although they are unforgiving of any foreign objects.

More than likely the common scoring is due to poor fuel, poor tuning, bad fuel lines or lack of oil.

Back