Ppe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandolmar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi I have seen ppe mentioned in a couple of threads what is it? Im kind of new to the world of chainsaws so Im wondering how many people wear chaps and how much do they cost? I think Ill try and get the hard hat and hearing protectors first. Thanks in advance Dan

I have a pair of chaps they cost around $50.00 they are Husqvarna brand got them from Northern tool. I don't wear them that often I know I should but I don't they are well made and comfortable but I just don't remember I guess I will kick my self once I hurt myself. I would get a pair if I were you and wanted to be safe.

PPE is just an acronym for Personal Protective Equipment. That includes anything from helmet, eye, and hearing protection to gloves, boots, chaps, etc.

Your right, definitely get the help and hearing protection first, then decide about the need for other types of gear. Chaps will generally sell for $50-70 and you can also get boots that have kevlar lining to help protect you feet and ankles.

Just keep in mind that PPE is not a suit of armor, it will not prevent accidents and it will not keep you from hurting yourself if you don't know how to use a chainsaw properly. PPE is simply like a seat-belt -- it can prevent catastrophic injury in the event of an accident.

By the way, they also sell chainsaw pants that you might find are more comfortable than chaps, especially in summer. They eliminate the need for an extra layer of clothing.

Good luck,

fwf is right about it not being a suit of armor, and I think that common sense and knowledge is your best protection.

That said, I don't even run a saw while tuning it without wearing the necessary ppe. All it takes is one lapse of awareness or something unpredictable about what you're cutting, and it's done. That's where ppe comes in.

Jeff

bought a new saw last week Friday, bought husquvarna pants on the same invoice. allready have the brain bucket with shield and muffs, the safety shades go on under that. Get it, wear it.

Last edited:
I understand that in Europe, listening to music while working is much more common than here.

I love my FM PPE, I find it a priviledge to jam down while feeding a chipper, or running saw. Rock n' Roll helps assure compliance that a worker, or yourself, is properly protecting his hearing when he (you) needs to be doing so.

As long as the music doesn't distract you or break your concentration. IMHO - the chainsaw is 'music to my ears' anyway...

Unless limbing, I feel that it's important to listen to the saw when cutting. One can tell if/when the saw is 'bogging' down in a cut and adjust accordingly. I would find that hard to do if listening to music. Plus with the noise of the saw being so loud, I could only imagine that the music would have to be fairly loud to hear it anyway.

P.P.E. it isn't dangerous is it??

I learned a few years ago how far into a leg you can "oops", and not cut anything important. Chaps would have saved the day. I usually am more careful, but lost footing at a lousy time. Next time I will throw the saw....
I use some ear plugs, and leather gloves. Steel toe boots a must. Jeans that can resist chains? I want some! Sounds cool. :cool:

Chaps or saw protective pants don't actually resist chains, they work by jamming the chain up to slow it down before it cuts you, or before it cuts you as deep. They are intended to reduce the injury and allow you time to react to prevent the saw from cutting you further. They aren't magical armor that wards off cuts from chainsaws and should never be viewed as such.

chaps

I always thought chaps were for the pros but I guess they are for anybody using a saw Dan

Definitely anyone running a saw should be wearing leg protection. Most non-pro users likely use a saw much less than a professional and do not have the same feel for the saw and are probably more likely to cut yourself than a professional. They are also likely not as used to running the saw and more likely to fatigue, which increases the likelihood of an injury. It is so simple to use, and can reduce or prevent major leg injuries, so you really should use it.

Here are some chainsaw injury statistics provided by the U.S. Product Safety Commission that may be of interest. As you can see, the left hand and legs are by far the most common injury locations.

attachment.php

Back