Pretty good day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard so take that with a grain of salt. I heard that Texas is a Texas only power grid. They are not connected to other grids so they cannot buy power from Georgia Power or other providers that have excess capacity. The report also said the natural gas that feeds the steam plants that feeds the turbines was not properly insulated or had heaters to keep the lines from freezing. Frozen natural gas cannot make steam to make electricity. You can buy heaters for wind turbine blades but why you you want to spend that money when we never have ice storms? I think Germany was having issues with snow covered solar panels not working. No heaters on solar panels.

Georgia had similar issues in that the road departments had few plows, no salt, brine or gravel/sand staged. A few ice/snow storms that "We never get" and the road departments started building huts to stage gravel/sand and maybe some salt. I do not know that they have dug out those reserves but they did spread some brine recently when there was a chance of freezing rain. Planning for not likely events costs money many departments/companies/cities/counties/states do not want to spend. In 1977 or 1978 we had a rain/snow storm in Cleveland Ohio that shut us down for a few days as the rain turned to ice and the temps got too cold for rack salt to work. I do not think we were into sand/gravel back then so we had to wait a few days to warm up for the salt to work. Cleveland does not stop for 6 inches of snow or even a foot of snow. It may slow down but not stop. Ice storm and less than 10F weather is another story.

I have lived in Georgia since 1983. Three ice/snow events of significance to me in 37 years. Those events were gone in 2 days. I bought a used generator over a decade ago after we were without electricity for over 24 hours when it was cold out. Always smart to buy a generator after you needed it. I have never used the generator for house power as that was the only time we have been out of power for long. Problem with having that generator is my truck, tractor and car run on diesel. I only have a few gallons of gasoline on hand at any one time. I used to have a gasoline truck I could steal gas for the generator.

No wood stove in my house. Sometimes I get nervous and wonder about getting one.

I talked to a friend that lives a few county's north of me and he said in his area people were charging 6 dollars a stick. Now that is price gouging at it finest. How do these people sleep at night? I hope it back fires on them and people stop buying from them. I'll gladly sell wood at a dollar a stick. But 6 bucks a stick!!!! Thats criminal. Stores are selling 4 dollar cases of water for 28 dollars a case. Some people have no heart what so ever.
SB you might be wrong but I am not there to determine the best. By that I mean that you have an obligation to your self and business to remain profitable. Gouging some times or not it is a judgement call. The last five years have been really good and some bad. A few years ago we had some very mild winters thus resulting in very poor sales but I kept going. I let maintenance on every thing slide hoping for a turn around. Finally certain things could no longer be avoided. So I had to hire help to get caught up and nothing is cheap. It was a lesson that has drove home the point if you are not profitable on a whole some thing will suffer. So likely your best approach is not being dishonest but a reasonable profit is likely what ever that is reasonable. Thanks

People are now reporting that all there food that was in there refrigerator and freezer has spoiled because the power was out for days. These people are so stupid they didn't think to put there food outside where it was below freezing. I mean really, how fricking dumb are these people?

152285825_3864421963620395_5181751679617370523_n.jpg

Joe Biden’s Dept. of Energy blocked Texas from increasing power ahead of killer storm.
Acting Energy Secretary David Huizenga did not waive environmental restrictions to allow for maximum energy output in Texas, instead ordering ERCOT to utilize all resources in order to stay within acceptable emissions standards – including purchasing energy from outside the state.
The EO shows the Biden administration basically ordered ERCOT to throttle its energy output by forcing it to comply with environmental green energy standards, while knowing full well Texans could freeze to death in their homes with zero electricity as temperatures plunged into single digits.
Moreover, the order instructed an “incremental amount of restricted capacity” to be sold to ERCOT at “a price no lower than $1,500/MWh,” an increase of over 6,000 percent over February 2020 prices of $18.20.
On Wednesday, the Dallas Business Journal reported, “Electricity on the Texas grid has averaged about $1,137.33 per megawatt hour so far in February, up from $18.20 per megawatt hour in February 2020, according to data from the Electricity Reliability Council of Texas. That’s a jump of more than 6,000 percent.”
Days later, the Public Utility Commission of Texas set prices at $9,000/MWh.
In a nutshell- what could have been avoided, wasn't, and millions of people have suffered because of the Biden administration refusing to allow more energy to be used in order to comply with their "green energy" agenda.
Secondly, Texans have had their Electricity bills increase by HUNDREDS OR THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS this past week, because the Biden administration forced ERCOT to increase its rates.
There's people here in Texas with $10,000 Electricity bills after this past week.
This entire crises was because of FAILED leadership, and Texans have paid the price for it with their lives, and their homes.

View attachment 891251

Joe Biden’s Dept. of Energy blocked Texas from increasing power ahead of killer storm.
Acting Energy Secretary David Huizenga did not waive environmental restrictions to allow for maximum energy output in Texas, instead ordering ERCOT to utilize all resources in order to stay within acceptable emissions standards – including purchasing energy from outside the state.
The EO shows the Biden administration basically ordered ERCOT to throttle its energy output by forcing it to comply with environmental green energy standards, while knowing full well Texans could freeze to death in their homes with zero electricity as temperatures plunged into single digits.
Moreover, the order instructed an “incremental amount of restricted capacity” to be sold to ERCOT at “a price no lower than $1,500/MWh,” an increase of over 6,000 percent over February 2020 prices of $18.20.
On Wednesday, the Dallas Business Journal reported, “Electricity on the Texas grid has averaged about $1,137.33 per megawatt hour so far in February, up from $18.20 per megawatt hour in February 2020, according to data from the Electricity Reliability Council of Texas. That’s a jump of more than 6,000 percent.”
In a nutshell- what could have been avoided, wasn't, and millions of people have suffered because of the Biden administration refusing to allow more energy to be used in order to comply with their "green energy" agenda.
Secondly, Texans have had their Electricity bills increase by HUNDREDS OR THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS this past week, because the Biden administration forced ERCOT to increase its rates.
There's people here in Texas with $10,000 Electricity bills after this past week.
This entire crises was because of FAILED leadership, and Texans have paid the price for it with their lives, and their homes.
Liar, liar, pants on fire.

Infowars? LOL!

View attachment 891251

On this major issue I would more than agree with you. It is a very sad state of affairs and to the best of luck to you and your fellow Texans. We have had some thing that I think is relevant here in California. Because of EPA or Air Quality Management Board decisions that no agency has been allowed to burn vegetation around communities. As a result we have had towns burn up and miles of resources destroyed for fear of bad air. Instead we have allowed the burning towns to contaminate with billions of tons of soot in the air. Thanks

Thanks to the arctic blast thats about to hit on Monday, Sales were pretty good today. The phone started ringing about 8 am and didn't stop till 7 pm. I fielded 73 calls and had 38 customers show up, netting me $2,665 in firewood sales. Most was bundles with about 2 cords sold at a 1/4 cord at a time. Yesterday was about the same. Since Nov. 1 till today (2 weeks) I netted $6,430 for this month alone.
That makes spending 2K last week on a new second splitter, all worth it.
If tomorrow is like today, I'll be out of dry wood for the next few weeks. I kinda wish I had more dry wood in stock. You can't sell what you don't have.
Netted or grossed?

$2600 is about net income from 26 cords for me.

Here is the scoop. Houston like most of the country is gripped with a record breaking arctic blast, sending temps down in the single digits. Most of Houston is going through rolling black outs that have lasted days at a time. People are freezing in there own homes with no power and no heat. Meanwhile the downtown skyline is lit up like a Christmas tree and our Mayor is calling for all resadence to conserve power. These office building are empty yet "WE" have to cut our usage. Such BS. Because it's late in the winter season every wood seller is out of wood. I was the last one with dry wood in stock. All the big box stores are out of wood. I opened up yesterday for just 3 hours and sold out. I had cars lined up 12 deep waiting to load wood. I sold out of bagged wood and had to start selling by the stick. In just 3 hours I sold $3,000 worth of wood till I ran out. I finally had to shut it down because they were coming so fast I didn't have time to bring up more wood from the back. I had 260 calls yesterday from people wanting wood. It got so bad I stopped answering the phone. My phone never stopped ringing all day. I have made over $6,000 in the last 4 days. It is absolutely crazy. People were rude, pushy and getting out of control so I shut it down and closed the gate. We never get freezing weather past valentines day yet I have had snow on the ground for 4 days and my pond has frozen over solid. I do have a little wood left but I'm holding that for friends and family. My back is killing me form loading wood so I'm done.
Dang!
How much wood did you have ready to go?
6k would take me around 60 cords. Have to be a machine to do that in 4 days.

1/4 cord of seasoned wood picked up we get $95. Green is $70. I don't deliver under 1 cord. Not worth the time.
Sorry I used the wrong terminology. I soled $2,665 gross. My net was less then that after deducting my cost to produce. I sell a stack 4'x4'x 18'' splits witch averages 160 splits per stack. That works out to about a dollar a stick. I sell a stack 4'x4'x 18'' for $160. My bagged wood holds an average 20 to 25 sticks (give or take) cut to 14'' for $20.00 each witch again works out to about a dollar a stick minus my cost to produce.
It's pick up only, I don't deliver. There are some that sell for less but there just selling firewood, I sell high quality BBQ wood.
When fully stocked I keep about 100 cords ready to go and I have room for an additional 300+

View attachment 891251

biden is hells boy....

Latest posts

Back