price for a used Iron & oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

col56

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a iron & oak 26 ton splitter which is in pretty good shape. No leaks from any hoses. Come with a Honda 9 Hp engine.

The owner wants 1400.00 and I was wondering if this price was out of range.

I have rented this brand before and they are built like a tank.

I am thinking that it is somewhere around 10 years old. It is green in Color and I see that the new ones are blue.

Not sure when they changed over from grreen to blue and the owner has no idea how old it is.

So is the price to high or just about what it should sell for.

I shopped for a LONG time for mine. Good splitters hold their value better than a harley.

The only green iron and oaks I have ever seen were Ex- Sunbelt Rental units. I bought mine from United Rentals 3 years old (that's when they move equiptment) for 1200. It's the 5 hp 20 ton hor/ver. Starts on the first pull with the choke on. I agree with you on the build quality. I had borrowed one of the TSC 22 ton units from a friend and it just didnt have the quality or power of the Iron and Oak. IO's are built like tanks. I had looked online at the 20 ton and 20 ton fast cycle and the only difference I can see if a larger GPM pump. After my firewood season I'm going to purchase a new 11 or 13 horsepower Honda engine and a larger pump and install it to get the faster cycle time. Also changing to a 2 way detent vavle since I split alone.

I felt pretty comfortable buying it used from the Rental company- they service their stuff every time it comes back in. If I was buying used- it seemed like a safer move than buying from a private party.

You hit the nail on the head. I contacted the guy and he said that he did buy it from a rental company. I didn't think to ask him about that. He told me that it hadn't been used very much when he bought it and looking at it it appears that way.

The time when things are made in the good old USA are drawing to a close and I for one don't want no jap stuff

The old saying...you get what you pay for applies here.

I think from what I can find that I&O hold their value and are good splitters.

Thinking that this price isn't un reasonable.

Still waiting on others here to chime in.

QUOTE=bryanr2;4506752]The only green iron and oaks I have ever seen were Ex- Sunbelt Rental units. I bought mine from United Rentals 3 years old (that's when they move equiptment) for 1200. It's the 5 hp 20 ton hor/ver. Starts on the first pull with the choke on. I agree with you on the build quality. I had borrowed one of the TSC 22 ton units from a friend and it just didnt have the quality or power of the Iron and Oak. IO's are built like tanks. I had looked online at the 20 ton and 20 ton fast cycle and the only difference I can see if a larger GPM pump. After my firewood season I'm going to purchase a new 11 or 13 horsepower Honda engine and a larger pump and install it to get the faster cycle time. Also changing to a 2 way detent vavle since I split alone.

I felt pretty comfortable buying it used from the Rental company- they service their stuff every time it comes back in. If I was buying used- it seemed like a safer move than buying from a private party.[/QUOTE]

FWIW....There is an Iron and Oak splitter in the Kenosha , Wisconsin Craigslist for $800. 8 HP/26 ton. I can't post the link for whatever reason.

Got on craislist and looked at the splitter. The one that I am looking at appears in much better shape. Not looking for a beauty queen but if you would see the 2 pictures there is a considerable difference.

Still that is a very good price IMHO for the I&O.

The guy States when I e mailed him that he put stability in it. Is going to check and make sure all things are working properly and give me a holler.

Will keep updating but still looking for advice until I pull the plug on it.

Is it the deal of the century... probably not. $1400 does seem like a fair price. If it is sound and looks good cosmetically I would jump on it. You cannot buy a splitter of equal value at any box store for the price. Seriously, there is a reason the Rental Companies choose I/O's for their rental units- it's bc they are made to use hard and take abuse from people who are "Renting" not someone who has purchased the unit and is trying to make it last. That is why the Rental Companies go thru the equipt everytime it comes back in. If this one is in good shape cosmetically then obviously it's not been used to terribly much. You know it's been serviced.

Where I bought mine they keep Ten units at that one Rental Store- I had several to choose from at that location and another store. I picked the nicest one (first one to respond to ad). None of them looked bad- it's not an item that is rented every day year around. Mostly a weekend rental (Seasonal) and they had ten to alternate rentals on.

Back