Price of Stihl Bar Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found a reasonably good oil at Northern for 7.99 a gallon it seems to work fine.

BTW
Think about this: bar oil is between $6.00 and $14.00 a gallon. Beer is between $10.00 and $30.00 a gallon, which do you use more of.

:givebeer:

Hmm, never thought of using beer in my chainsaw. Does that work?

I bought case after case of Husky oil last year, my local saw shop would give me good deals by the case @ 4.25 a gallon. I have to start buying it again, as my supply is out, I KNOW it will not be cheap this year.

I agree, it is not wise to lube your bar with used motor oil. As for environmental issues, the average person does not post a environmental threat to the environment if used motor oil is spilled, but when you have large industrial companies who dispose of it by the thousands of gallons a week that is what hurts the environment. Back in the day the county use to store all of the used motor oil in containers, and twice a year they would spray it on dirt roads to keep them eroding. For the county it was great, they did not have to cut grass , and the combination of the Georgia clay and oil was the equivalent to asphalt. But for the poor county folk it recked havoc on streams and farmland.

What’s the bar and chain oil made out of that makes it “non toxic” to the environment? Didn’t I read here that it is made with crude oil, same as motor oil? Maybe there are some vegetable based bar and chain oils, but I don't see them being promoted as the only way to go.

And at least on the oiler of my saw, it hasn’t harmed it in 25 years.

In 25 years I have gone thru 4 bars, and never seem to have a problem cutting. Keep the chain sharp, and even in Locust or White Oak, she throws big chips and cuts as well as my buddy’s larger Husky (not sure of the model) in which he uses some brand of “bar and chain oil”.

Used oil is just what I was taught to use, and never gave it much thought.

New B&C lube does not contain the combustion by-products and heavy metal compounds that used crankcase oil does.

What’s the bar and chain oil made out of that makes it “non toxic” to the environment? Didn’t I read here that it is made with crude oil, same as motor oil? Maybe there are some vegetable based bar and chain oils, but I don't see them being promoted as the only way to go.

In 25 years I have gone thru 4 bars, and never seem to have a problem cutting. Keep the chain sharp, and even in Locust or White Oak, she throws big chips and cuts as well as my buddy’s larger Husky (not sure of the model) in which he uses some brand of “bar and chain oil”.

Hmmm 2-3 cords a year for 25 years and 4 bars??? That's a problem right there.. maybe 1 (or less) if you used a decent lube.

Clean bar oil is not toxic.. or a carcinogen; used engine oil is. That they are both made from crude oil is not relevant...

Last edited:

Used motor oil is not the same a NEW motor oil. It's toxic like other's have said. Its what happens to the oil after many many miles of running through a engine. Don't use it. Do some reasearch.

55 gallon drum of industrial weight auto transmission fluid works just fine for me. Self cleaning, handles extreme temps for long durations, cheap, and it lubricates incredibly well.

My Stihl dealer gets $9.70 and stocks both viscosities.
My Husky dealer was well over $10, I think $12.99 or $13.99.
The Dolmar dealer sells Efco bar oil for $6, says the Dolmar stuff would cost twice as much.

The big surprise was the silver bottles of Dolmar premix oil, 6.4oz are $8 for a six-pack. This is the stuff that compares to Stihl Ultra, isn't it? Sure beats paying my Husky dealer $1.59 for 2.6oz.

I dropped back by the local Walmart and found the Super Tech bar lube. I was looking for the normal blue bottle they package their oil in. Instead, the bar lube is in a white gallon jug with a black/blue/green label. It was only $5.17/gallon. I bought 4 gallons. That will last me a long time.

I dropped back by the local Walmart and found the Super Tech bar lube. I was looking for the normal blue bottle they package their oil in. Instead, the bar lube is in a white gallon jug with a black/blue/green label. It was only $5.17/gallon. I bought 4 gallons. That will last me a long time.

I stopped in 2 different wally worlds and neither sold chainsaws. They did carry the oil Brad just mentioned in the automotive department. I bought a gallon to try out first. Wonder if I could mix it 50/50 with Stihl bar oil? Meijer's had the green bottled Poulan bar oil for $7.99 / gal.

I haven't stopped by my favorite Stihl dealer in Cincy (Dewar's Equipment Co.) to see what his selling price is.

I bought a gallon of that white jug over a year ago, what you bought
may be diff.........mine looks, smells and has the color of motor oil, smells more like used motor oil.

Back