Pricing logs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last sale I sent up went for just shy of $900/MBF and that was all sketchy big prairie colonization DF full of knots. I expected half that even in this market. I don't understand but I also don't care too much because a paycheck is a paycheck, and mine doesn't change with price fluctuations because government salary. Regardless, I gotta guess that the mills are paying more or the loggers wouldn't be. We all know Home Depot is charging up the wazoo, so that's that, I guess.
Why does everyone toast hours on the net than abbreviate the **** out of things? I don't know wtf the M in MBF means. Hence the thread.

Last sale I sent up went for just shy of $900/MBF and that was all sketchy big prairie colonization DF full of knots. I expected half that even in this market. I don't understand but I also don't care too much because a paycheck is a paycheck, and mine doesn't change with price fluctuations because government salary. Regardless, I gotta guess that the mills are paying more or the loggers wouldn't be. We all know Home Depot is charging up the wazoo, so that's that, I guess.
if its big oversize stuff, then its getting 1,000-900 mbf at the local mill, more for smaller dia stuff at the big boy mills SP/Hampton. and no one seems to care about knots anymore except the Japan export, which isn't an issue for gub-a-mint wood.

Why does everyone toast hours on the net than abbreviate the **** out of things? I don't know wtf the M in MBF means. Hence the thread.
1000 board feet,
MBF stands for Manufactured Board Feet, its definitely one of the things that is messed up in translation.

If you find yourself in a Forest Service sale, they do everything based on CC's which is roughly Tons so you have to do mental leaps to figure tons per approximate MBF to come up with a realistic quote, Most of them are in the 300-1,000+ CC's meaning hundreds or thousands of log truck loads and millions of board feet in timber, the scope of these sales seems enormous to an untrained eye, but a million board feet won't keep the big mills fed for a month, despite which, the forests keep getting thicker and gaining acreage every year.

The letter "M" stands for 1,000 in the lumber industry, so "MBF" is the abbreviation for 1,000 board feet. Think Roman numerals for 1000.

To answer your question, if you are in the business, I guess mbf is a more common expression than the words that it represents. If you are talking speed, mph and kph are commonly recognized. Nobody questions psi when they read the label on their tire (while in the USA, the last bastion of the English measurement system). So... kindly don't get so pissy about folks using a common expression that you just don't happen to be familiar with.

Here's a question for you! Why are ALL the movie credits displaying the year it was made in Roman numerals? Even the Romans don't use Roman numerals anymore.

if its big oversize stuff, then its getting 1,000-900 mbf at the local mill, more for smaller dia stuff at the big boy mills SP/Hampton. and no one seems to care about knots anymore except the Japan export, which isn't an issue for gub-a-mint wood.
It's prairie colonization wood, so it's a mixed bag. Knotty oversize, lots of 8-12" pecker poles, a bunch of pretty nice 20-30" 2-3 saw in between.

The letter "M" stands for 1,000 in the lumber industry, so "MBF" is the abbreviation for 1,000 board feet. Think Roman numerals for 1000.

To answer your question, if you are in the business, I guess mbf is a more common expression than the words that it represents. If you are talking speed, mph and kph are commonly recognized. Nobody questions psi when they read the label on their tire (while in the USA, the last bastion of the English measurement system). So... kindly don't get so pissy about folks using a common expression that you just don't happen to be familiar with.
Will that be all sir?

Here's a question for you! Why are ALL the movie credits displaying the year it was made in Roman numerals? Even the Romans don't use Roman numerals anymore.
well... ya learn somefink everyday...

The roman numeral thang totally makes sense now though. scribling out 1000, on every thing would take forever.
As fer the movies, I may be a paid actor... no seriously... but I haven't a clue why they use a janky system like roman numerals.

When figuring the board feet pricing of a log - how is the log measured?
I was looking at a 20' log with a buyer yesterday. The log was about 18" across. Not knowing what to do I gave it credit for being a 12" x 12" x 20'. Worth about $96 at .40/board feet.
Doesn't really matter if he is able to get a semi load of big logs delivered for $6000 - like he said.
Doyle scale around here. If 18" on the small end then it is 14x14x20/16=245 bf

Grading and scaling are two different things -- a cruiser estimates the log volume of standing trees, where a scaler estimates the volume and value of a log on the ground. Because of taper and defect and knots, when we cruise we start with a volume based on the Diameter at Breast Height (DBH, or 4.5 feet) compared against a table that accounts for some of those deductions. Douglas-Fir is our main commercial species here. A 20" stem starts at 400 bf, and then in 16' logs a 120' tall tree might grade out like this: Log #1 2 saw - 15% for sweep, Log #2 clean 2 saw, Log #3 clean 3 saw, log #4 3 saw -50% because forked, log #5 utility, log #6 utility, log #7 topwood/cull. Logs on the truck are usually 32-40', depending on what the mill wants, so why do we grade in 16' logs? Because the math works better, and we can capture the defect more accurately. It doesn't change the scaled volume at all but it gives our cruise data more information about the quality of the wood in the overall sale.

Back