Prime example of shipping/customs screwup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My wife just showed me this on one of her horse boards. Typical!!! I realize it's not "chainsaw", but I think it could relate to another thread or two.........

Speaking of shipping - funny story,,,,
Posted by M on 1/4/2006, 3:27 pm, in reply to "Value"

We sent out a shipment last year that somehow got to the local FedEx depot without clearing customs. The local depot had to send it back to the hub to be cleared, this off course was going to delay the shipment at least a day so we collected fresh and resent to the mare owner and the second shipment got to her no problem.
In the meantime though, the 1st shipment did not get sent back to the hub by the local depot. The next day the depot calls me and says there are going to reroute it and send it back to me, did I want it to go express or economy. I told them I did not want it back and sure wasn't going to pay to get it sent back, so they asked if they had my permission to DESTROY it (it was in a dispoable) so I said that would be great.

About a week later I get a call from US Homeland Security. Apparently the FedEx depot simply put the box in the trash. Someone spotted a box marked "biological material" in the garbage and homeland security got involved - when they realized it hadn't cleared customs so was consider "un-authorized biological material" all heck broke loose!

Now in no way do I mean to make light of what could be a very real threat, but you should have heard the conversation as I tried to explain to the goverment authorities just exactly what was in that box. (-:

Just wonder how much of our tax dollars was spent on this security breach?
:laugh: :fart: :bang: :buttkick:

I just got a call from UPS. I bought a gibbs ascender on ebay, paid 10 bucks to have it shipped to a US friend as the seller refused to send it to Canada. Then I paid 12.50 to get my friend to send it up to me, now UPS calls and says they want 35.70 brokerage fee before I can pick up my package. so that means my 30 dollar US gibbs has now cost me about 75 US. man, what a steal. what a pile of baloney.

Stay away from UPS cross border!!! Used them ONCE and it cost me a fortune, goods arrived damaged to boot. Fedex is a little better, but I use the post office whenever possible.

Canadian post office charges a flat rate of 5 bucks for brokerage. PST and GST on top of that if it's appropriate. That's if the parcel gets checked. My wife found something my son wanted for christmas only available through the internet, had to cross the border, didn't get charged a thing!

Of couse, that won't work shipping something that is no good in 48 -72 hours (live semen)................

Back