"Pro saw" vs. Not quite "Pro"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dingo I recall all those good Homelites way back then. I see alot of old Homelites running just as good as the day they were made and I'm talking saws 20-30 years old. Makes ya wonder why Homelite took the route they did and wound up like they have. Last I heard they is made in of all places China and are now considered "throw away" saws. From top to bottom was a longggggggggggg road for them boy's, all the way to China, dayummmmmm

THALL10326 said:
Dingo I recall all those good Homelites way back then. I see alot of old Homelites running just as good as the day they were made and I'm talking saws 20-30 years old. Makes ya wonder why Homelite took the route they did and wound up like they have. Last I heard they is made in of all places China and are now considered "throw away" saws. From top to bottom was a longggggggggggg road for them boy's, all the way to China, dayummmmmm

Last summer I saw a Homelite for sale off of one of those tool sale trucks that come around. It was pretty, but sure looked cheap. Didn't want much for it, being the size it was. I thought about buying it just to see what it was made of. My son told me no way was he going to let me take it to the timber. I would have it broke down in a half a day and would sit on my butt the rest of the day. Guess he knows me all too well.:laugh: :laugh:

I know whatcha mean Dingo, the ones today are, least the ones I've had to profound pleasure (not) to get my hands on were pure 100% bonified and certified and classified in my little black saw book as junk.

Homelite=Homo-lite As far as the best saws go (except for the ms200) which are Huskys, if is a Husky and does not say XP it just isn't a pro saw. Not junk, just not pro.

clearance said:
Homelite=Homo-lite As far as the best saws go (except for the ms200) which are Huskys, if is a Husky and does not say XP it just isn't a pro saw. Not junk, just not pro.

A lot of the models have pro on the end of model designation, but I begin to wonder about them as so many are showing up in chain stores.:confused:

Well I'll be dog gone if I ain't gonna go down to Sears , no maybe Lowes and get me a Husk A Varna since they's is da best,haha, right!!

DeanBrown3D said:
When you buy a pro Stihl, you're buying a piece of history. Much like a Ferrari, except it's made in Germany.

Now, the question I have is everything on that Stihl made in Germany??:confused:

dingo said:
Now, the question I have is everything on that Stihl made in Germany??:confused:

Nope... For the USA, The LOW volume saws are made in Germany. 200T, MS660, MS880. SOME of the 361's are. Not sure about the 440/460. The rest are USA.
If the serial number begins with a "1", it's made in Germany, if 2, USA. What they really mean by "made" is "assembled". Parts are made all over the world

WadePatton said:
I know yall don't think I search before I start a new thread--but really I do. Just didn't search enough different terms. I unnerstand that A TON of what I want to discuss has be hashed before. I don't mind one bit being re-directed to the previous hash. Maybe I'll get better at finding it.

No worries at all. I was just redirecting you to where you might find the info you need. As long as you use the search and then ask, it's not a problem. It's the guys that log on, don't search, and ask what the best oil ratio is, or how to properly store a saw for the long term. :bang:

Did you find what you needed? ;)

Jeff

pro or not

used to use mcculloch pro mac 610's, have cut literally tons of firewood with these saws, i don't believe in such thing as pro or homeowner when you get into the larger saws made by the big companies

Last edited:
WadePatton said:
So I looked at the saws at Lowe's. I see.:laugh:
Wade there is a differance but how much depends on you. Them saws at Lowe's are fine for the week end cutter. I got no beef with Husky being in Lowe's. They're a good saw, famous brand, but if I'm not mistaken, I could be wrong here, but I don't think Husky puts any pro saws in Lowe's. I'm sure if I'm wrong on that someone will holler and let me know. Pro verses homeowner pretty well says it all just as its said. If your a homeowner and cut a few cords of firewood a year or wanna cut a tree off a fence now and then why spend the extra money for so little use. If your a professional tree man and use saws for a living then you want the best they have to offer and tat my friend would be a Pro. If ya like me and just want the best ya gots to gets a Pro whether ya use it or not. Kinda like them Snap On tools verses Craftsman. Both do the job to a degree but one sure is nicer than the other.

Latest posts

Back