problem with T pipe staying in stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hangnail

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have jotul 400 which i ran a s.s. flex liner with a s.s. t pipe. the diameter is 6'' which is what the output of the stove accepts. the way ithe stove is designed is that as the pipe enters the stove, the diameter of the opening cones in, as to grab the pipe, and then there are 2 ancor nuts to grab and hold the pipe in place.

since day one, it has never fit well. i have used a ratcheting strap to pull the t pipe into the stove, and i can get it seated well, but it does end up backing off. but usually will stay seated for several weeks. I end up with about 1/16" gap on about 1/2 the pipe.

i think that the expanding and contracting of the pipe is pulling it out as it shrinks

my next attemp i think i will put some slits around the pipe and try and seat it then, but i was wondering, if the fiberglass insulation that is used on the stove, if i bought some of that and then shoved that in and around the area will that help keep that tight.

thankfully, i get a great draft, and have no smoke back, or smoke leaking from that area. before anyone says anything, i do have carbon monoxide detectors and everything is fine.

anyone else have any issues or work arounds for this?

Is your floor "bouncy"?
Your stove may be moving slightly every time you walk near it pushing the pipe out.

I believe there are supposed to be screws that hold that stove pipe together. Three per junction is suggested.

its not the pipe itself, its the pipe basically backing out of the back of the stove.

my floors are pretty solid, but that could be a cause i did not think of

the way ithe stove is designed is that as the pipe enters the stove, the diameter of the opening cones in, as to grab the pipe, and then there are 2 ancor nuts to grab and hold the pipe in place.

again, obviosly the stove is not able to keep the pipe in place as it currently is, but, could the expanding and contracting of the pipe be enough to pull the pipe out almost 1/2 to 3/4 inch?

I'm no metallurgist but I think the answer is no, even if you're seriously overburning. I was thinking bend angles but you say it's consistent all the way around the pipe.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so if there's any chance you could snap a few while you have it opened up to try again.....

I think you are assembling it wrong.
Shouldn't the stove pipe fit over the outside of the stove outlet pipe?
Then anchor it with sheet metal screws.
That would ensure less of a chance for smoke leakage.

it must be the angle that it enters the stove that is partially to blame, the exit on the stove is not perfectly level, by deisgn i quess, the stove is level. but even still, i have fought with that pipe even doing a dry fit, the manufactuer requires a 6'' pipe, which this is, but i think a 5 3/4 inch pipe would be ideal, so if i could shrink the area befroe it goes intot he stove, i should be ok, hopefully,

just so you guys are clear, its a rear exit on the stove, the jotul 400 has options for top or rear exit, and sice it is in my fireplace, i am using the rear exit option.

i possibly am missing that, but i think that piece that was linked to will help me a lot. that should work perfectly,

did yours come with that collar? i will call the stove place i bought it from and check.

i can usually get it seated in the stove good. but it usally backs out every 5-6 weeks it seems.

I think you are assembling it wrong.
Shouldn't the stove pipe fit over the outside of the stove outlet pipe?
Then anchor it with sheet metal screws.
That would ensure less of a chance for smoke leakage.

No. Properly installed pipe will have the upper going inside the lower or inside the stove fitting. That keeps any creosote from running down the outside of the pipe. I pointed that out to a neighbor that had it the other way around and every joint had black streaks coming down. Sometimes it takes a special section of pipe with crimps on both ends to get it going right.

Harry K

I have jotul 400 which i ran a s.s. flex liner with a s.s. t pipe. the diameter is 6'' which is what the output of the stove accepts. the way ithe stove is designed is that as the pipe enters the stove, the diameter of the opening cones in, as to grab the pipe, and then there are 2 ancor nuts to grab and hold the pipe in place.

<snip>

QUOTE]

Seems there should be two sheet metal screws to go into the pipe. Three would be better and more in line with code.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back