Problems with a cold saw..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338RUM

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an Stihl MS440 and it's a real ????? to start when its really cold. When I leave the saw in the basement, walk outside and three pulls she is off and running. Now if I leave the saw in my truck over night at really cold temps, it takes forever to start the saw... Anyone have the same problems??

As well, this maybe a stupid question, but what colour is Stihl engine oil??

Duane

338RUM said:
I have an Stihl MS440 and it's a real ????? to start when its really cold. When I leave the saw in the basement, walk outside and three pulls she is off and running. Now if I leave the saw in my truck over night at really cold temps, it takes forever to start the saw... Anyone have the same problems??

As well, this maybe a stupid question, but what colour is Stihl engine oil??

Duane

Could be many things... But likely to do with pumping fuel and a slight vacuum forming in tank.

Check your tank vent... Next time, pull it out or just loosen the fill cap and let some air in before trying to start. If it makes a difference, replace or fix the tank vent.

Woodfarmer, okay that is what everyone is telling me. I have a six pack of Stihl oil mix, and it's all green... Should I get rid of it??

Duane

Is it in orange containers? if so, It's o.k. The new "Low Smoke" oil is in Black containers. If is says 50:1 it's o.k.

The oil mix I have is in white 200ml bottles...And the oil is green...It says Stihl 50:1 on it..

Duane

cold start

if it starts fine when the temperature is above freezing then i wouldn't monkey with it,the saw is the same as a snowmobile or your truck, if its outside and cold everything up here is going to be harder to start. saws take a few more pulls, my tractor won't roll over if its been below freezing. the oil you are using is the correct oil, blueish-green in colour, mix at 50:1 as stihl recommends and you shouldn't have any problems.

Back