Procedure for starting a saw of unknon sitting time??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

struggle

Got stumps?
Reaction score
As some of you know I have come into a couple of saws and have concerns about just yanking on the cord to get them running again.

Once fuel is established any recommendations.

My thoughts were to pull the plug and shoot some type of lubricant in the cyclinder rotate several times kind of give a wash sort of and then try to start it.

Any other thoughts precautions.

Other thought is maybe the carb should just be pulled and cleaned no matter what since a lean condition could be fatal?

First, what I do, is make sure the gas tank is empty, then fill it up with fresh mix. (now is a good time to pull the muffler on saws equipped so) After that, I also check the bar oil tank, and make sure that's full too. Pour some oil down the spark plug hole, and let it sit for a while (at least 30 min) so it works it way into the crankcase. Then I pull it over, plug out, saw on bench to distribute the oil. (this is the time to put that muffler back on) Make sure fuel lines are in good shape before attempting to start, put the plug in, and bring the saw outside. Get it started, then tune for proper running characteristics. Did this with a boat motor, my PM610, and my Craftsman. Works every time.

If you notice the saw is running lean despite carb adjustments, shut it off, and check fuel/impulse lines for microscopic cracks, and also clean or rebuild carb. Replace all fuel ot impulse lines if one is bad. Saves time in the long run.

Last edited:
Back