Professional quality rope chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LabLover

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I suspect this is a stupid question. Is there such a thing as a professional quality rope chainsaw? I have a double sided rope chainsaw which I have used for a number of higher limbs in the past but today, it broke. It is a fairly thin chain and not as high quality as a Stihl or Husqvarna chain. If higher quality rope saws exist, I would appreciate a manufacturer name and model. Thanks.

What is a rope chainsaw? I have zero idea what you are talking about...sorry

I have been making mine for years. I see many so called decent saws for sale but turn out not to be first class. On the other hand to fabricate one takes at least a day. I can describe the problems which are many but when climbing is difficult or unsafe there is no other option. I have brought down many limbs from 70' up. The biggest was about 12'' diameter. Some how one can burn an entire day for just one limb but no injuries. Binding is the biggest problem. An OP can not just take a section of chain and tie two ropes to it as that will prove to be worthless. Thanks

I have been making mine for years. I see many so called decent saws for sale but turn out not to be first class. On the other hand to fabricate one takes at least a day. I can describe the problems which are many but when climbing is difficult or unsafe there is no other option. I have brought down many limbs from 70' up. The biggest was about 12'' diameter. Some how one can burn an entire day for just one limb but no injuries. Binding is the biggest problem. An OP can not just take a section of chain and tie two ropes to it as that will prove to be worthless. Thanks

We have several feet of snow at the moment and it is snowing hard so will be awhile. What do you want to know as I have several. OK one concern is saw needs to cut both ways or pull one way and it cuts pull the other and it cuts. Then it must be able to cut on both sides other wise when You get your saw 60' up you are going to jump up and turn it over. Thanks

I think that a "professional rope chainsaw" would mean a bucket truck.

How high are you aiming to go, OP? There are nice saws (from Silky and probably others) that are good for 20' worth of reach that, I would think, would cut a lot faster than a chainsaw chain tied to a rope.

I have only seen cheap, junky ones. Does not mean that a better one does not exist or could not be made.

Per @Ted Jenkins comments, our modern chains cut in one direction only; older crosscut saws cut both ways, which is an advantage when pulling the ropes back-and-forth. And it is very easy for the chain to invert (or lay on its side).

Since no drive links are needed (no sprockets and no guide bars), they would be ground off to serve only as spacers / joining links. I would try to make one like this (tie straps not shown to keep things simple). I can see why it would take Ted the better part of a day to make one:

Screen shot 2021-03-10 at 4.35.24 PM.png
Philbert

What do you want to know as I have several. OK one concern is saw needs to cut both ways or pull one way and it cuts pull the other and it cuts. Then it must be able to cut on both sides other wise when You get your saw 60' up you are going to jump up and turn it over. Thanks
You previously stated that you have been making your own rope chainsaws for years. I would be very interested in how you have overcome the obstacles?

I think that a "professional rope chainsaw" would mean a bucket truck.

How high are you aiming to go, OP? There are nice saws (from Silky and probably others) that are good for 20' worth of reach that, I would think, would cut a lot faster than a chainsaw chain tied to a rope.
Yeah, an aerial boom truck would be ideal but I would like to avoid the $600 / day rental. I have a Jameson 20 ft pole saw and that will not do the trick. This particular tree is a 45+ ft Chinese Elm and climbing it is not an option for me.

Now I’m wondering if ‘scratcher’ chain would be a better choice for this. Chip clearance should not be as much of an issue on the smaller limb wood that they are used for.

Philbert

Now I’m wondering if ‘scratcher’ chain would be a better choice for this. Chip clearance should not be as much of an issue on the smaller limb wood that they are used for.

Philbert
Isn't scratcher chain used on bow saws and some very early model chainsaws?
I was wondering if the type of cutting wire found on high end survival saws might not work best of all.

Latest posts

Back