Progressive Modding of a Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks,

Not sure why those didn't show up...I guess it wanted the '+' signs between the numbers...

Thanks KMB!

Your welcome.

I admit I stumbled onto the parts at Bailey's by chance. I had punched in different words and combos such as 'husqvarna muffler deflector' and 'muffler deflector' and 'deflector' and one of them brought up the right part. Then just to see what it would bring up, I punched in the part number as one number with out spaces...nothing. Then tried with the proper spaces and it worked. I'm guessing that punching in other Husky part numbers (or whatever brand Bailey's deal with) (with the correct spacing) might work also.

Kevin

Last edited:
Good news!!! I didn't slow it down, lol:)

Keep in mind this log was getting larger as I went. I grabbed and earlier piece out of the pile and it was 1 1/2" smaller.

626323784_7WMW9-L.jpg

Even with that in mind, the saw is about 14% faster than stock. I'm pretty happy with that considering this is a saw that has a reputation of being difficult to mod, and can even be slowed down. Honestly, I don't see why it has that reputation. I did the same stuff to this thing that I do to most all my saws. There was one cut that was substantially faster than the rest of the stock cuts. I'm still 10% faster than that cut was even though that first cut was in smaller wood. Bottom line, I'm happy with it.

I did a little more testing with the muffler after porting. If anything, it slowed down just a hair by blocking the added port. So I've left both ports fully open, with a spark arrestor screen on both.

All tests were done in about 50 year old Ash. This is some good hard wood to test this saw in. Also, the saw has been wearing an 8-pin sprocket for all testing.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zAWnR7LGHB4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zAWnR7LGHB4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here's the stock video just for reference.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/seknqVRtK2c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/seknqVRtK2c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Somebody is getting excited. Even more so when he read that all testing was with an 8 pin sprocket. Good work.
Are you going to post any pictures of the internals etc?

MCW you're going to really like this saw. It's a beast of a saw, every bit as strong as my EHP-7900, and it's only going to get stronger. As I expected the HD filter looks fine in person,:clap: believe it or not, I like it.

MCW you're going to really like this saw. It's a beast of a saw, every bit as strong as my EHP-7900, and it's only going to get stronger. As I expected the HD filter looks fine in person,:clap: believe it or not, I like it.

Good to hear mate. Can't wait for it to arrive. Any hint of Brad secretly trying to buy one himself? I actually don't mind the look of the HD filter despite some unflattering photos early.

Squish is .022. Compression is 153. I left the squish where it was. This a work saw and will likely see some heavy duty use from what MCW has been showing us of his job.

QUOTE]

DSC00288.jpg

Mine was over 190psi and the squish ar 0.026" stock!
No de-comp on my one:cry: It will break your wrist if your not committed to starting it!

I contemplated a standard P&C for about a nano-second.
I'm too girly for that.
Yes, I do yoga, eat lentils and sip lattés :greenchainsaw:

I busted my right wrist about 15 years ago and every time I forget to push the decomp in I am reminded of it. The worst saw I have for tweaking my wrist again is my 5100-S. I can't believe some of the bigger, older saws can even be started without a decomp but where there's a will there's a way I suppose!
I'm with you here Rick, just without the yoga, lattés and lentils ;)

Fantastic, just fantastic.
I actually don't mind the look of the HD filter setup, doesnt seem to protrude into the abyss like the Husky setup.

Here's an idea, seeing as though it's coming to SA anyway, divert it my way and I'll check it for freight damage etc. No need to thank me, that's just the sort of bloke I am.

Last edited:
Fantastic, just fantastic.
I actually don't mind the look of the HD filter setup, doesnt seem to protrude into the abyss like the Husky setup.
Here's an idea, seeing as though it's coming to SA anyway, divert it my way and I'll check it for freight damage etc. No need for a thank me, that's just the sort of bloke I am.

I may never see it again though. Feel free to come to the Riverland and knock over a few Casuarinas if you want. I may even let you touch it and sniff it ;)
Tried out the Windsor yet?

Last edited:
I may never see it again though. Feel free to come to the Riverland and knock over a few Casuarinas if you want. I may even let you touch it and sniff it ;)
Tried out the Windsor yet?

Mate, I feel like a peasant with a kings invite. You enjoy that saw Matt, "edit here" (did'nt sound right after Rick's comment!)

Last edited:
I wouldn't after seeing what Brad did to it :jawdrop:

Well I'd hope he's washed it?

Mate, I feel like a peasant with a kings invite. You enjoy that saw Matt, now if youll excuse me, I have some drool to mop up from my chin.

No Kings here mate and I'm sure I'll enjoy the saw. Anyone that ever wants to come chainsawing with me is more than welcome.

Mine was over 190psi and the squish ar 0.026" stock!

They must have made some changes then. Last night Andyshine tested his and it was 155 and this one was 152 on the same guage.

BTW, I caught a woman with a bad attitude at the Post Office this morning. She wouldn't ship it. I told her all fuel and oil were drained. She didn't care and was rather rude about it. Fine. I came home and printed my own shipping labels like I normally do. I'll just need to pick up the plastic envelope that the forms are required to be put in. My mailman has delivered many a chainsaw here and won't have one problem with it. It does amaze me though when someone ships a saw with fueal and/or oil in it:(

Last edited:
Back