Propane

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my own experience I'd say that your figures are very close. I used to use 600 gal. of propane or maybe a little bit more each year. The last two years I've used a little less than 100 gal. of propane a year. That's for cooking and a little bit of heating.

I haven't kept real close track but I'm pretty sure that I've never burned three cords of wood in one winter. I've got my wood stacked so I can tell how much wood I'll use this heating season.

I've spent $850.00 on saws and a little bit more on gas and oil this year but I'll save more than that this winter. There shouldn't be anywhere near that much cost next year (unless I buy a 346 :D) because I've got almost four years of wood stocked. I'm going to try and stay at least four years ahead because I have room for at least three years under roof.

Dan, there is something else about propane. Many people don't really understand it. That stuff can be dangerous--perhaps far more dangerous than natural gas. I watched a massive propane leak at a major building "fry" several people trying to control it. Propane is invisible and hovers on the ground. One spark can set it off like a pool of energy, and you may not even know it is there waiting for a small flame.

I've never seen firewood do anything quite so destructive that I have already seen propane accomplish. :censored:

I put 250 gallons of propane in my tank last fall and it cost me $450.00.This spring I put in another 250 gallons and it cost me $600.00.They also charge me $100.00 a year for the big 500 gallon tank because I do not use enough propane and the minimum I can get is 250 gallons.I think I will get the smaller tank(250 gallons) and then they will not charge me the extra $100.00 and the minimum will be 150 gallons.:chainsaw: :givebeer:

I have an underground propane tank and do not own it... Therefore I am stuck with one company and can not shop around. We paid 2.74 a gallon earlier this month for a minimum delivery of 150 gallons. This should carry us until about May, after that I am thinking of having the tank dug up and carted off. Even though I do not have to see the ugly pig in my yard, I still hate the tied to one supplier feeling. I am thinking about going to a smaller pig and tucking it in behind my attached garage so it remains out of site, but unfortunately not out of mind.

I hate propane and propane accessories.

Chris

Dan, there is something else about propane. Many people don't really understand it. That stuff can be dangerous--perhaps far more dangerous than natural gas. I watched a massive propane leak at a major building "fry" several people trying to control it. Propane is invisible and hovers on the ground. One spark can set it off like a pool of energy, and you may not even know it is there waiting for a small flame.

I've never seen firewood do anything quite so destructive that I have already seen propane accomplish. :censored:

Uuummmmm...honestly... not trying to be cynical, but are you similarly terrified of gasoline?

Both propane and gas are heavier than air...both are similarly volatile...both are invisible...

Both have a strong odor...both can be set off by an ignition source such as a faulty car's exhaust, or a car's faulty ignition system, or an electrical switch being turned on...

Do you turn off your car 100 feet before a gas station and coast in? Do you do the same when you drive up to a large tank to fill up your BBQ tank? Do you smoke while driving? Do you drive by somebody else smoking in the car next to you?

You are correct that uncontrolled, uncontained flammable gas is dangerous, but come on...oxygen is flammable too. How do you avoid that?

I'm truly not attacking you, just the idea that your experience of a "massive propane leak" frying people is any different than any other industrial chemical accident outside the realm of "normal homeowner use"...barring accidents of course.....

I did have a 6 foot tall wall of firewood that was accidentally off balance and crashed down around me and bruised my shins...but that was my bad, not an industrial-sized mistake.

BTW, I loooooove the smell of firewood in the morning!!!!

and evening, and any other time i walk by the pile...gasoline makes me gag, propane is not my friend either.

:cheers:
Even if you drop the firewood down to willow or basswood, the numbers still make your cordwood seem attractive. To be sure, we cannot really beat the conveniece of propane, natural gas, fuel oil, or electricity, but we can still beat the price per BTU.

Problem is, the firewood price does not include the collection price that everyone who gathers it, delivers it, and processes it must absorb. Add that in, and the other home heating fuels usually win. So, I burn wood for the comfort, and many other reasons, but not for the money that it saves.

Good to agree with ya!. From one Nebraskan to another...There is snow headed your way. I live in the panhandle and it is snowing now. Winter is here. Time for your hard work to pay off!:greenchainsaw:

Doing your own wood, the cost of a cord considdering the saws are paid for would be less than $5. $5 of propane wont heat a house for a single cool day and there is no question on ecconomics what ever the efficiency. I don't get fussy at all on what I burn, acctually make an effor to burn as much junk wood as I can to ensure future supply of the good hardwoods for those cold sub -30C nights. I'm pretty much cutting for 3 homes off 40 or 50 acers of mixed bush so conservation matters. Dead, or dammaged trees go first, then the less desirable, oak, mapel, iron wood ash,elm and such I select here and there for the real cold weather.

But if you are paying top dollar to have fire wood delivered into the city 1/2 cord at a time cause you have no place to stack it then burn it in an open fire place to save money, your quite likely putting more dollars up the stack than into your pocket.

Last edited:
I put 250 gallons of propane in my tank last fall and it cost me $450.00.This spring I put in another 250 gallons and it cost me $600.00.They also charge me $100.00 a year for the big 500 gallon tank because I do not use enough propane and the minimum I can get is 250 gallons.I think I will get the smaller tank(250 gallons) and then they will not charge me the extra $100.00 and the minimum will be 150 gallons.:chainsaw: :givebeer:

Woody, check into buying your own tank. I bought mine several years ago and don't regret it. You won't be stuck with one propane supplier and a lot of suppliers will give you a discount on what you do buy.

2.089 per gallon here round State College Pa. This is with my buried 1000 gallon tank being under contract with Amerigas. May be less if owned the tank, don't know, but I aint diggin her up!!

sucks tooo, cause I'm sitting at about 15% on my tank level, and I currently use it for heating, hot water, and cooking. Can't wait till the check show up from the gas lease, cause I'm buying me an outdoor burner!!!:greenchainsaw:

Uuummmmm...honestly... not trying to be cynical, but are you similarly terrified of gasoline?

Both propane and gas are heavier than air...both are similarly volatile...both are invisible...

Both have a strong odor...both can be set off by an ignition source such as a faulty car's exhaust, or a car's faulty ignition system, or an electrical switch being turned on...

Do you turn off your car 100 feet before a gas station and coast in? Do you do the same when you drive up to a large tank to fill up your BBQ tank? Do you smoke while driving? Do you drive by somebody else smoking in the car next to you?

You are correct that uncontrolled, uncontained flammable gas is dangerous, but come on...oxygen is flammable too. How do you avoid that?

I'm truly not attacking you, just the idea that your experience of a "massive propane leak" frying people is any different than any other industrial chemical accident outside the realm of "normal homeowner use"...barring accidents of course.....

I did have a 6 foot tall wall of firewood that was accidentally off balance and crashed down around me and bruised my shins...but that was my bad, not an industrial-sized mistake.
Propane and gasoline are as different as night and day. Gasoline is a liquid, contained or uncontained. Propane is a liquid when contained and a heavy gas when uncontained. The massive leak I am referring to occurred with uncontained propane that settled around a huge building.

I just don't care for the stuff. Let the balloonists burn it. And, frankly, I'm not sure why the gas grill manufacturers default to propane and charge extra for a natural gas conversion kit. To me, the opposite should be true. It costs three times as much money to gas grill with propane canisters than it does with natural gas. But, does anyone explain that to the consumer before the purchase?

What does concern me the most is the large number of really old furnaces today that burn propane. Many are in basements below ground. If these ever fail, your are talking about a potential pool of gas waiting to explode.

Buying a wood burner with the check from the gas lease?

That's funny :laugh:

I guess that's my way of STICKIN IT TO THE MAN!!

the_finger.gif

wow! Just called the gas co to order a delivery and it is now down to $1.60 per gallon!!! What the heck, it was .49 higher less than two weeks ago. Sounds like some some political crapola is going on again!

propane tanks

You guys using propane for stoves and water heating might consider buying your own 125 gal tank. They make a vertical tank that you can locate next to a structure due to its capacity. They hold about a 100 gal of propane I believe.

I just paid 2.48/gal. I only bought 200 gallons as this is my first year with an OWB. The propane MAN was eye balling my wood pile as he was filling. Oh well, gotta do what ya gotta do.

Back