Proper chain (most efficient) for a STIHL MS 460 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Minute

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New here and not a pro by any means, so please bear with me. I do maybe 12 to 14 hours of home firewood saw time a year among mostly western larch with some ponderosa pine and Doug fir tossed in. Most are 18" to maybe 3+ ft in diameter. Historically I've used an old 65o Pro Mac (24") as well as a 610 (20"). Both well maintained and they are both still cutting fools with full complement chisel chains.

My question: During a temporary break-down of the larger Mac I picked up a new Stihl MS 460 Magnum packing a 32 inch bar and a couple skip chains (i.e 1 cutter, 2 drivers, and then another cutter). This saw is rarely used at maybe 3 hours over the last 3 years, as I'm not too impressed with it's cutting rate compared to my old workhorses. I'm putting most of the blame on the skip chains. Can this unit handle a full complement chain with its present 32" bar, and if not, could it do so with maybe a 6 inch shorter bar? Appreciate your thought please.

Shouldn't have a problem pulling a full chain in softwood, although skip vs full shouldn't make a huge difference to the point you'd think the saw is or isn't a turd.

It will pull the 32 in soft wood with full comp chain but it will need a muff mod. Every stock ms460 I've gotten a hold of was so choked up it felt weak. Plenty of info here about opening muffs and dual port covers. That saw balances very well with a light weight 28 if you are considering a different bar.

Might be the filters and fuel line or tune also. I also have a 460 and I most all the time run 32" skip square grind but also have a 36" skip round filed and it has no problem with either. The problem with the round filed chain is the guy filing is spoiled with the square grind and isn't savvy enough as he could be lol. I've only muffler modded mine and it runs like a banshee so be sure to give er a good once over cuz they're good running saws like your older ones. Good luck and safe cuttin
My avatar I think is pictured with the 36

Troops: Thanks for quick responses. At your suggestions I did a little more surfing, and it sounds like there's a lot to be gained on the muffler end. I'll scratch up a dual port muffler, a comp chain, do a little tuning, and give it try. With a performance increase, I'd put it to more use. Seems obvious the Stihl should leave the old Mac's in the dust. Thanks again.

Edited to add: Looks to be a great and informative site here. Thank you Webmasters.

We run 460's as our primary big wood saw (only use the 660 when necessary). I would say if you want it to cut a bit better lower your depth gauges on your chain a couple of more file strokes so you're getting a bigger chip.

Don't know how big the stuff is you're cutting but I run a 20" bar on mine most of the time with a full chisel chain. It's one cutting son-of-a-gun.

I have 2 046s. One ported, the other just dual port muffler. I run 25 full comp semi chisel. Both pull great in hardwood. I'm sure could go bigger, I just run all same, simpler.

Back