Property wood thinning question II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkbyrd

Forest Hugger
Reaction score
My woodlot was logged about 6 years ago, and is mostly saplings (1-2", 8-15'), primarily of tulip poplar and white pine, some oak and cherry, and lesser amounts of others. I know thinning would be beneficial to the trees I want to favor, but I don't want to thin out too little or much. Some weed control will be available with grazing goats. How far apart should I thin my trees?

My woodlot was logged about 6 years ago, and is mostly saplings (1-2", 8-15'), primarily of tulip poplar and white pine, some oak and cherry, and lesser amounts of others. I know thinning would be beneficial to the trees I want to favor, but I don't want to thin out too little or much. Some weed control will be available with grazing goats. How far apart should I thin my trees?

Check with your forestry dept they may give you free advice to you local area. Be careful goats will kill it all by eating the bark off.

Pick a tree and cut two sides. If you cut three they tend to grow more lower branches. You want upward growth, not width. Them size trees you can thin by leaving only desirable trees. Being species, straightness or health.

attachment.php

also look into the stages of succession for your particular site.....a forest has stages through its life and some species need shade...if these are the particular species you favor then your management plan (thinning procedure) will need to allow for these trees to prosper.

Check with your forestry dept they may give you free advice to you local area. Be careful goats will kill it all by eating the bark off.

Be careful with goats. Like Rope said (and he didn't just say that because his future wife might be there) they can cause damage to desired species. Plus goats needs lots of attention.

Thanks guys for the advice and the warnings. I've seen what the goats can do, every poplar and even some of the pine trees in their pen have been debarked 1-4' off the ground. However, in the project area, they get walked out to feed. I take them every morning, and they leave the bark alone. If there is anything green they can get to they eat it first. There is always someone with them outside of their pen to make sure they behave (sometimes it's like a bunch of preschoolers on a caffeine buzz).

Back