Proud Dad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppkgmsy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I hope you guys don't mind of I brag just a little. My 15 year-old son took down his first tree today. That'a a Jonesred 2171 in his hands. In a world that seems increasingly intent on turning men into boys, I'm happy to say my boy is growing into a fine man. His career plan is to become a State Trooper. thumbnail_IMG_0028.jpg

Well done!

My 13 year old learned how to use a host of hand tools this year. I’ll move him up to a saw soon.

I remember when my son was little, 6 or so. I'd invite him to join me on a job.
Me: "Here hold this wrench for a moment. OK, pass me the wrench."
Him: "What wrench?"

Then at about 10, he'd help me roof, or something. I realized his "help" meant the job would take 3 times as long. It was worth it, though, to have him by my side.

At your son's age, my guy started to get truly helpful, and it was a joy working alongside him.

Now, my son is a young, strong man. Working together we get more accomplished. And, the other day my back was bugging me, he unloaded a truckload of bucked wood for me.

Enjoy, Dad, our boys won't be "ours" forever!

My oldest three are boys, youngest two are girls.

#3 (youngest boy) and #4 (older girl) were the only two that ever had any interest in helping me. This year my oldest turned 13 and finally showed interest and will do any thing I give him. Granted on bigger jobs he works for goods such as paying for cell phone use, app purchases, etc but he’s always ready to help. Hoping #2 turns the corner in the next year as well.

Great job ! My son took down a couple this spring , he was 15 too.He’s turning into a pretty good saw builder also . I came home from work early today and he has the keurig apart.
That's terrific!
My guy now has his own shed where he works on his bicycles, atv, and dirt bike. He can do quite a bit but, I'm happy to say, still likes and needs Dad's help on some jobs.

My son is a spoil ruined man in his early 40's now. Only good quility he got some place was hangs onto a job.

Daughter how ever was always under foot. when I was restoring the Pony she claimed it as hers and hand sanded both front wheels and the rear rims and centers while I was at work.

She went off to college and works in Wisconsin these days. She still sends me e mail pictures of the grand kids and places she has been. Sunday she text me to tell me about the trail she and her girl friend hiked on Saturday and ran in a X crountry race early Sunday.

:D Al

Growing up all 6 of us were involved in pretty much all the home projects. I don't recall being asked (or optional) it was just the way it was. Wasn't forced, just happened. Different times.

I have no kids so can't comment there. Couple grand kids, whole different dynamic. "Help" as long as it's fun (no matter how much longer it takes). Once the new wears off they're gone.

OP - congrats to your boy on his journey to being a man. Excellent start. He'll do!

My son is a spoil ruined man in his early 40's now. Only good quility he got some place was hangs onto a job.

Daughter how ever was always under foot. when I was restoring the Pony she claimed it as hers and hand sanded both front wheels and the rear rims and centers while I was at work.

She went off to college and works in Wisconsin these days. She still sends me e mail pictures of the grand kids and places she has been. Sunday she text me to tell me about the trail she and her girl friend hiked on Saturday and ran in a X crountry race early Sunday.

:D Al
It can be tough to know how kids are going to turn out. We do our best, then it's out of our hands.

Growing up all 6 of us were involved in pretty much all the home projects. I don't recall being asked (or optional) it was just the way it was. Wasn't forced, just happened. Different times.

I have no kids so can't comment there. Couple grand kids, whole different dynamic. "Help" as long as it's fun (no matter how much longer it takes). Once the new wears off they're gone.

OP - congrats to your boy on his journey to being a man. Excellent start. He'll do!
I'm happy my son shares the values many of us on this forum seem to hold. He thinks it's "cool" to want to be strong and independent. He is proud of his mechanical abilities. I'd love him no matter what, but I admit I'm glad he's not a snowflake.

My 5 sons (and 4 daughters) are all great helpers. They may not always like it, but they do it. Even the 2 y.o. helps stack wood. The older ones all operate chainsaws, except 1 girl.
By the time my oldest boy was 14, he helped me on 20 roof jobs.

Good for you with the dad thing!! We need more of you in this world.

My father always made me help from an early age. I realized as a young adult how valuable those lessons were in instilling work ethic, and finding/keeping jobs. Now, I always make my kids help (ages 9 and 13). I don't ask, I tell them, we're doing X today. Not optional. Neither mind 95% of the time. Hard work gets rewarded with certain meals, movies, ice-cream, etc. Being lazy gets rewarded with a swift kick in the pants.

Glad some of us are keeping an entire generation from turning into spoiled, lazy, entitled crybabies

Good job with the boy

:rock:

My 5 sons (and 4 daughters) are all great helpers. They may not always like it, but they do it. Even the 2 y.o. helps stack wood. The older ones all operate chainsaws, except 1 girl.
By the time my oldest boy was 14, he helped me on 20 roof jobs.

Good for you with the dad thing!! We need more of you in this world.
My personal experience as a Father, and looking out at the larger world, is that a healthy Dad in the house makes an enormous difference in the lives of kids.

My father always made me help from an early age. I realized as a young adult how valuable those lessons were in instilling work ethic, and finding/keeping jobs. Now, I always make my kids help (ages 9 and 13). I don't ask, I tell them, we're doing X today. Not optional. Neither mind 95% of the time. Hard work gets rewarded with certain meals, movies, ice-cream, etc. Being lazy gets rewarded with a swift kick in the pants.

Glad some of us are keeping an entire generation from turning into spoiled, lazy, entitled crybabies

Good job with the boy

:rock:
One thing I've noticed is that many young men don't even know how to shake hands properly. I don't remember being taught, but I do remember sensing very early on that a firm handshake and clear eye contact was a demonstration of strength, and of respect.

Great job with your kids, too.

One thing I've noticed is that many young men don't even know how to shake hands properly. I don't remember being taught, but I do remember sensing very early on that a firm handshake and clear eye contact was a demonstration of strength, and of respect.

Great job with your kids, too.

That's actually one of the things we teach in out young mens group. Twice a month we teach them Bible lessons and manly skills such as changing a tire, handshake, construction, oil change, put on a necktie, etc. Things that are easy to forget or office-working dads can't teach.
We have them sing, too. We can't have tomorrow's choirs without tenors and basses!

One of our grandson's lost his dad when he was 6, but, he had ridden in his logging truck since he was 9 months old. At 6 yrs old he had more log truck time than most 25 yr olds. Now he's 8, he's just like his dad was, energetic, loves to help me do anything. And, he's a good worker, plus he is a great kid. He's got plans already to own his own log ''trucks'' meaning more than one. And, he's serious, he still goes to truck shows with his dad's friends and ''steam up's '' as well. He's got more going for him than a lot of kids in their early teens.

That's actually one of the things we teach in out young mens group. Twice a month we teach them Bible lessons and manly skills such as changing a tire, handshake, construction, oil change, put on a necktie, etc. Things that are easy to forget or office-working dads can't teach.
We have them sing, too. We can't have tomorrow's choirs without tenors and basses!
I think a lot of today's young men are going to run into trouble later in life. They will find they need their manliness and it won't be available. Their wives, their children, their communities will need them to be strong and noble, and they won't know how. Even on a practical level, so many guys are growing up knowing how to play on computers but not build or repair.

Back