Proud Of My 455!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow745

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Over the weekend we had 25-30 stumps ground and 1 fairly large oak tree dropped. If I'm comfortable with where a tree is located I drop it myself, but if they're too close to the house, pool, garage, etc. then I opt to have it done by a local insured guy. This one was leaning terribly toward the house and pool. Once it was on the ground I installed a new chain on my 455 Rancher and went at it. It took me about 2 hours to take out about 2/3 of this tree, which was a good 24 inches at the base, maybe 60-70 feet high and not a bit dead. It may not sound like alot to get done for that time span, but I do suffer with life threatening allergies and asthma and must wear a respirator when doing things outside. I also take "breathers" every 10 minutes or so.

Anyway, I know alot of you cut much more than I do and must have a true pro quality saw that can be pushed hard day in/day out, but for those weekened warriors like myself a saw like the 455 Rancher is perfect. I've owned it for almost 1.5 years now and have cut at least 30 trees with it and it has performed each and every time, with nothing more than routine maintenance. Considering we were paying a local guy $100+ for each tree just to be dropped, this saw has paid for itself many times over. And there's nothing like the compact power of a good running saw.

So for all you guys and gals out there looking for a good landowner's saw that won't break the bank, grab a 455 and let it rip.

BTW, I wanted to include a pic of what I have done with the saw, but having dialup eliminates any chance of that happening. Later!

Glad to hear that you like the saw. I know that it is not a favorite around here, but I have always liked it. All that matters is that it works for what you need.

Good luck, and be safe,

Adam

Hey thanks for the encouragement! Yeah the 455 is like the Rodney Dangerfield of chainsaws and truly never gets the respect it deserves. I personally think it's fantastic saw for the price point. Biggest complaint I read is that it's too heavy for the power output. I say if 1 or 2 lbs. makes that much difference to anybody, then maybe they shouldn't be handling a saw at all.

I have always believed in buying what you can afford and making it work the best way you can. That's all that matters. Later!

A friend of mine has the 455. He cuts firewood for a living and he love his.

Over the weekend we had 25-30 stumps ground and 1 fairly large oak tree dropped. If I'm comfortable with where a tree is located I drop it myself, but if they're too close to the house, pool, garage, etc. then I opt to have it done by a local insured guy. This one was leaning terribly toward the house and pool. Once it was on the ground I installed a new chain on my 455 Rancher and went at it. It took me about 2 hours to take out about 2/3 of this tree, which was a good 24 inches at the base, maybe 60-70 feet high and not a bit dead. It may not sound like alot to get done for that time span, but I do suffer with life threatening allergies and asthma and must wear a respirator when doing things outside. I also take "breathers" every 10 minutes or so.

Anyway, I know alot of you cut much more than I do and must have a true pro quality saw that can be pushed hard day in/day out, but for those weekened warriors like myself a saw like the 455 Rancher is perfect. I've owned it for almost 1.5 years now and have cut at least 30 trees with it and it has performed each and every time, with nothing more than routine maintenance. Considering we were paying a local guy $100+ for each tree just to be dropped, this saw has paid for itself many times over. And there's nothing like the compact power of a good running saw.

So for all you guys and gals out there looking for a good landowner's saw that won't break the bank, grab a 455 and let it rip.

BTW, I wanted to include a pic of what I have done with the saw, but having dialup eliminates any chance of that happening. Later!
Nice to read a post like this! There are so many 455s out there and 290s and dare I say even Poulans that are keeping people warm and trails cleared.

the 455, she does mighty fine!

90%+ of the bashers have never run a 455 and many of them have never even handled the saw.

club 455, arre you man enough?

:greenchainsaw:

woodcut.JPG
[/QUOTE]

I haven't ever run one but for a howmeowner firewood cutter I'm sure that they're great. If I were a pro cutting every day I'd get something else. Be proud of what you got.

Danny

You can't handle the truth!

The missing photo reveals the truth.....

attachment.php

OK, I thought it was funny. :sword:

My neighbor has a 455 and it is a very capable saw. It is heavier than a comparable husky or stihl pro model but does very well for the price. I have run a Husky 359 and Stihl MS361 side by side with it. The 359 easily outcuts it and the MS361 in 20"+ fir and cottonwood eats it for lunch. But each of those saws come with prices that reflect the increase in peformance and features.

attachment.php

My neighbor has a 455 and it is a very capable saw. It is heavier than a comparable husky or stihl pro model but does very well for the price. I have run a Husky 359 and Stihl MS361 side by side with it. The 359 easily outcuts it and the MS361 in 20"+ fir and cottonwood eats it for lunch. But each of those saws come with prices that reflect the increase in peformance and features.

Is that a long shirt or is that boxers over the trousers Superman style lol

nice glad the loved 455 is doin you good. ive had mine about a year and a half also. the only real ##### i haver about it it it starts like crap when its hot. prolly just a carb adjustment. rodney dangerfield lol maybe ill call the saw rodney now lol.

have the 455 and the 55
plus a couple of 031's
used my 455 all last winter, cut 6 cord.....plus 7 so far this summer, has yet to llet me down.

attachment.php

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: That is hilarious, and an improvement in the picture!

I have the other unappreciated saw, and while my MS290 doesn't have a lot of hours on it, it seems to do its job fairly well. With proper maintenance, most of these saws will last a long time, and do fine work.

I suppose it all boils down to;
1) Does it do what you need it to do
2) Do you think you got your moneys worth
3) Does it make you happy

If the answer to these questions is YES, that's all that matters.
Lots of folks think the only proper use for some of my favorite saws is as a boat anchor.
Mike

Latest posts

Back