Pruning of a Dwarf 'Twisted Baby' Black Locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwojton

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Earlier this summer we bought a Dwarf 'Twisted Baby' Black Locust. It's starting to get a little too bushy. Does anyone know the best way (and time) to shape this tree?

Thanks,
Lynne

I have never seen a twisted black locust cultivar, but you can prune it any time . do not take more than 1/3 of the limbs off at one time and make your pruning cuts just outside the branch collar. do not flush cut and do not leave stubs. you can get pamphlets from your extension agents or university on how to prune correctly. john

First, let it sit for a season or so before prunning, it needs to recover the roots it lost durring harvest. Studies show 90% root loss durring normal B&B digging.

Second remember that dawrf is reative to the parent plant, since honey locyust gets up to 70 ft They say 10 ft..also the cultivar is 'Twisty Baby' if I'm not mistaken.

Simce Robinia is compound leaved, it would be best to wait for dormancy so you dont take too much away. Dwarf trees grow slow, so you want to take only a small amount. They are outside the 25% rule of thumb. Go with on only one or two branches that have poor direction. Rubbing or inward growth. Also since this cultivar is pendulous/tormented pruning it to acsetuate the funky growth is the best. Maybe so it looks like it is reach out at you.

Thank you

Thank you both for your input. I will wait and watch how much I trim away. I can't wait to see the flowers it produces and I don't want to interfere the blooms.

Lynne

Back