PS-5100: 3/8" or .325" pitch chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack_Shaft

Jack_Shaft

ArboristSite Operative
My new (to me) PS-5100 showed up on my doorstep a couple of weeks ago with a 3/8" chain wrapped around an 18" bar. It looked pretty heavy-duty and I was excited since perhaps this meant that the 5100 could pull a 3/8" pitch full chisel chain with ease.

I tried it out and although she does cut well, I wonder if the 3/8" is a bit too much "bite" for a saw of this size since it did stall a few times while felling a large spruce. Most people around here use .325" pitch chain, but since I only cut softwoods (spruce, pine, fir) with the occasional birch, I figured the 3/8" pitch would work for me.

Today I tried out my Makita 6401 :rock: and I am thinking that perhaps it would be better suited to the 3/8" pitch chain than the 5100.

What do you 5100 owners run for chain?

04ultra

04ultra

"Out of Control"
. AS Supporting Member.
My new (to me) PS-5100 showed up on my doorstep a couple of weeks ago with a 3/8" chain wrapped around an 18" bar. It looked pretty heavy-duty and I was excited since perhaps this meant that the 5100 could pull a 3/8" pitch full chisel chain with ease.

I tried it out and although she does cut well, I wonder if the 3/8" is a bit too much "bite" for a saw of this size since it did stall a few times while felling a large spruce. Most people around here use .325" pitch chain, but since I only cut softwoods (spruce, pine, fir) with the occasional birch, I figured the 3/8" pitch would work for me.

Today I tried out my Makita 6401 :rock: and I am thinking that perhaps it would be better suited to the 3/8" pitch chain than the 5100.

What do you 5100 owners run for chain?

18" 3/8 .050 and 18" .325 .050... Have both no problems.....

Last edited:
rshaffer3

rshaffer3

ArboristSite Lurker
I'm runnning a 20"bar with a 3/8 .050 chain and I really like it. This is the first saw I've used with a 3/8 chain and I could be crazy but I feel like I have to sharpen it much much less than my Stihls running .325 chains.

Once your saw breaks in a bit more you'll have more power to pull the chain. My 5100 seems to get more aggressive every time I cut.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
.... Once your saw breaks in a bit more you'll have more power to pull the chain. My 5100 seems to get more aggressive every time I cut.

Good point, never judge a saw by how it cuts right out of the box.

I ordered one with a 16" bar in 3/8" for the Witch, we will see how it works out..........

Last edited:
Former Saw Builder

Former Saw Builder

ArboristSite Guru
I've been pondering the same thing with my 260 and will probably be going 3/8. It also gives me the ability to run the same chain on all my saws.

I use 3/8 on my Stihl 026 pro saws and 16" bars without any problems, My Dolmar 5100s also has 3/8 chain and a 18" bar and seems to handle it fine...

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Good point, never judge a saw by how it cuts right out of the box.

I ordered one with a 16" bar in 3/8" for the Witch, we will see how it works out..........

Man, i guess i'm about the only one here that runs .325 on my Dolmar. Thats what it came with and i mainly use it for limbing.

Some time in the future, I will probably want to try a .325x8, and Stihl RS on it.

It wouldn't surprice me at all if that setup is faster, at least in small wood......:blob2: :blob2:

Last edited:
sugarbush

sugarbush

ArboristSite Guru
Some time in the future, I will probably want to try a .325x8, and Stihl RS on it.

It wouldn't surprice me at all if that setup is faster, at least in small wood......:blob2: :blob2:

I think thats the perfect set up for the 5100, most i sell are .325, smoother then 3/8s and even with the 7 pin rim it comes with there's little if any differents in cut time then 3/8s, but fit it with the 8 pin, sawwitch will like it. ( so will you).

Esbjug

Esbjug

ArboristSite Member
5100S 13" .325 for use in Norway

Hello, I have just registered after searching the pages for some time.

I bought a Dolmar 5100S some weeks ago, and I am impressed with the performance. Used mainly for limbing and firewood production (up to 25 cm /10"), its equipped with a 13" bar with .325 pitch. This is the most common combination here.

My toolbox also contain other saws, and I will try to log on and take part in discussions on a regular basis.

Last edited:
SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Hello, I have just registered after searching the pages for some time.

I bought a Dolmar 5100S some weeks ago, and I am impressed with the performance. Used mainly for limbing and firewood production (up to 25 cm /10"), its equipped with a 13" bar with .325 pitch. This is the most common combination here.

My toolbox also contain other saws, and I will try to log on and take part in discussions on a regular basis.

Welcome to AS! :rockn: :rockn:

...soon we are more Norwegians than Swedes here......:clap: :clap:

Btw, where did you get that 5100S from, as far as I know they are not offered here, just the 4600S and the 5000 in different configurations, but not "S" :confused:

I am having a 5100S with heated handles delivered from the US pretty soon, for my wife - last thing I heard, it had passed the Norwegian customs.......

Last edited:
Esbjug

Esbjug

ArboristSite Member
SawTroll: I found the Dolmar on Ebay. Not many there compared to the other makes, and some only ship inside the US. You are right, the PS-5100S is a US model only. From what I have found, only carb. details, the black top and the coil with + 1K differs from the PS-5000 sold here. Perhaps other details as well.

TDunk: The only Stihl I have is a MS 260, from 2006. I have considered a MS 660 for my Logosol M7 sawmill, but the electrical motor makes less noice! From what I have heard, the Stihl 361 sounds interesting. Perhaps this could be my next saw? That is the best buy for this saw?

My other saws are mainly Husqvarna: 372XP, 455 Farmer, 346XP, 242G, 42 Special. Plus a Dolmar PS-5100S this spring. I also have two rather old Jobu saws (Senior and Junior). Both in running order.

Latest posts