PS 7900 lightest chainsawsaw ever made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What makes the 7900 so good is it’s horsepower to weight ratio. Nothing stock comes close accept the MS660.

Just asked the question cause like Gary said above never heard of one until joining AS. My saw shop is 80 miles from Gary's and about the only difference is they want 235 aroll for Stihl chain. You can walk in and get any configuration of square grind stihl you want already made up thru 36". I am not slamming Dolmar Just have no experience with them except a guy who has one (and Stihl and Husky) said he doubted they would hold up like a Stihl. Our logging history doomed most brands and I think you can blame th 045,051 and especilly the 056 and 76 for that.
You say we have a closed mind but ya gotta know the history out here to understand us.
If Cuttin scott says they hold up well I take him at his word. Read alot about the power to weight of the 7900 but don't remember reading much about reliablity and construction except the problems with the airfilter covers. Hey Scott can you give specifics of any repeat issues you hve seen?

Last edited:
What makes the 7900 so good is it’s horsepower to weight ratio. Nothing stock comes close accept the MS660.

And better yet, the powerband is very smooth and flat. Very responsive throttle and gobs of wood eating power from bottom to top. Maybe with the EPA it will be old news, though.

Cedarkerf, I suggest to everyone that gets a 7900 to also get a husky ignition switch. Both of my 7900s ate a switch pretty soon. One sort of "wore out" pretty quick, the other just fell off. Less than $10, and only takes 30 seconds to replace.

Parts around here is a definite issue, and no way would I want to rely on a single 7900 to be my only saw. But I don't have that limitation, so I run em and love em.

Last edited:
Ive been selling the PS7900 since they have come out back in 01' I believe and YES TO REAL USERS not just weekend warriors THIS SAW DOES LAST... You PNW guys are so married to stihl its unbelievable FIND A PNW DEALER WITH SOME GONADS to Take the DOLMAR dealership on and you will be very impressed.
And Andy with all his time will tell attitude come on now TELL YOUR BOSS to take the dealership on and YOU will be impressed as well. stihl is not the ONLY game out there..

+1+++++

Scott

Tell Dolmar to get a warehouse out here with overnight parts delivery for next to nothing (every part, every device in the product line new and old) and maybe... 30-45 days credit and TV ads would be nice... and a public "we'll never sell though box stores" too.. ;)

Stihl make it very easy to be loyal. And just saws isn't enough... we need a full competitive product line. The real problem for any established dealer is simply "why"? Why stock a saw or whatever that won't sell any more then a similar stihl device? If a guy walks into the store to buy, he walks out with a saw, weed eater, blower or whatever... Two brands? na...

Nothing stops any number of guys from opening a Dolmar dealership out here, but for some reason it doesn't happen.

Tell Dolmar to get a warehouse out here with overnight parts delivery for next to nothing (every part, every device in the product line new and old) and maybe... 30-45 days credit and TV ads would be nice... and a public "we'll never sell though box stores" too.. ;)

Stihl make it very easy to be loyal. And just saws isn't enough... we need a full competitive product line. The real problem for any established dealer is simply "why"? Why stock a saw or whatever that won't sell any more then a similar stihl device? If a guy walks into the store to buy, he walks out with a saw, weed eater, blower or whatever... Two brands? na...

Nothing stops any number of guys from opening a Dolmar dealership out here, but for some reason it doesn't happen.

And it's out of the PARK! :jawdrop:

Won't happen with Dolmar here, for sure.

How long do saw manufacturors have to keep making parts available for non current saws? Seems like Stihl is really good in this regard as compared to other manufacturors.

They don't have to keep spares beyond the warranty periods, but that would be a poor strategy.

We were an ECHO/STIHL dealer 8 years ago. Then Echo told us they wouldn't be replacing parts for product over 7 years old after inventory ran out. We ditched Echo, but as they went the box stores route that turned out to be a good decision anyhow.

Stihl's pretty good for almost anything up to 15 years. Most parts up to 25, and even a few going back [almost] forever. Saws that continue to be made for South Amerca and Asia mean even some 40 year old models have parts. I wonder if they'll start up 044 production for SA? Probably covered by the 381.

Ummmmm

I am not slamming Dolmar Just have no experience with them except a guy who has one (and Stihl and Husky) said he doubted they would hold up like a Stihl. Our logging history doomed most brands and I think you can blame th 045,051 and especilly the 056 and 76 for that.
You say we have a closed mind but ya gotta know the history out here to understand us.
If Cuttin scott says they hold up well I take him at his word. Read alot about the power to weight of the 7900 but don't remember reading much about reliablity and construction except the problems with the airfilter covers. Hey Scott can you give specifics of any repeat issues you hve seen?

In case you haven't noticed, the new Stihls DO NOT hold up like the old ones bro. The more plastic, the shorter life. NO NEW SAW OUT LASTS LIKE THE OLD ONES... Just the way it is. I attribute it more to the changes in oil ratio, plastic vs. aluminum and complexity of electronics, most from china or japan...

:popcorn:

In case you haven't noticed, the new Stihls DO NOT hold up like the old ones bro. The more plastic, the shorter life. NO NEW SAW OUT LASTS LIKE THE OLD ONES... Just the way it is. I attribute it more to the changes in oil ratio, plastic vs. aluminum and complexity of electronics, most from china or japan...

yep, pure junk. everyone that buys one is a complete idiot :greenchainsaw:

Butttttttt

yep, pure junk. everyone that buys one is a complete idiot :greenchainsaw:

They still make a better saw than a husky, lmfao.... Someday they won't need a rabid dog on their picture to try and sell saws in Wal-fart, hehehehehehe

:cheers:

I'll rephrase that (modifying my position to incorporate everything I learned from AS)

All saws are junk. Anyone that buys or uses any saw of any brand for any reason is a complete idiot:greenchainsaw:

I'll rephrase that (modifying my position to incorporate everything I learned from AS)

All saws are junk. Anyone that buys or uses any saw of any brand for any reason is a complete idiot:greenchainsaw:

Come on now some of those handsaw come in handy.

In case you haven't noticed, the new Stihls DO NOT hold up like the old ones bro.

They also weigh less, produce more power, use less gas and produce less emissions.

There is always a trade off.

Are you comparing the new homeowner saws to the old pro models or what? This is the first post I've seen questioning the quality of Stihl.

Are you comparing the new homeowner saws to the old pro models or what? This is the first post I've seen questioning the quality of Stihl.

lolol hooked one.... and not even a total newbie...hint : note the :popcorn:

but as Fish says all the time.. I digress...

Getting back to the dealer support question.

How hard would it be?? When you get down to it, a 50cc, 64cc, 73cc, and 79cc saw are the entire pro model lineup for both the dolmar and makita, and the three later share most of the parts. One of the smarter moves by Dolmar, and one of the reasons I like old Chevys and Fords btw.

A grand in stock and you can have every part on the shelf.:dizzy: I think even your lowest mom and pop outfit could handle it.

Back