PS-7900 vs PS-7910

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried out the demo 7910 that Bob has?

Not yet. Haven't seen him since he got it. He's happy with though. Good power right out of the box, and compared well with a broken in 7900. A little time on the 7910 and I'd say they'll be neck and neck.

I like how Dolmar came up with an innovative solution to make a great chassis compliant, rather than have to do a clean sheet strato design. Is there a chance that they could use this controlled bleed muffler idea to replace the cat on saws like the 5105? The heat from those things is not good for any saw.

Not yet. Haven't seen him since he got it. He's happy with though. Good power right out of the box, and compared well with a broken in 7900. A little time on the 7910 and I'd say they'll be neck and neck.

I like how Dolmar came up with an innovative solution to make a great chassis compliant, rather than have to do a clean sheet strato design. Is there a chance that they could use this controlled bleed muffler idea to replace the cat on saws like the 5105? The heat from those things is not good for any saw.

They came out with the SLR cylinder/muffler on the cut off saws first. I'm sure they are working on this design on other models. But they do have strato model chainsaws in the works. It is nice to share the majority of parts with the 7900. Especially on a saw that gets beat up and crashed a lot.

We have had Zero issues with the cat mufflers on the 350/351/420/421/510/5105/6400/7335 (Cut Off) other than burning off the foil insulation on the cylinder cover.

Opening the muffler

So what would opening up the muffler do? Or replacing it with an earlier 7900 muffler? I guess it would need to be richened on the jets.

Has anyone done this? I guess its basically the same as the original 7900?

Thanks Dave.

Last edited:
So what would opening up the muffler do? Or replacing it with an earlier 7900 muffler? I guess it would need to be richened on the jets.

Has anyone done this? I guess its basically the same as the original 7900?

Thanks Dave.

That sir, is a good question...
I'm hoping to find out some info in a couple weeks...

I have a customers saw here that wants the extra muffler port, so I want to find out if I would be upsetting anything by messing with the new system.

Dave

You got a test log? If so, run it through... Give it an extra port, and compare... Then let us know... Worst case scenario, you gotta order another muffler...
Best case, it improves performance...
Something tells me there's not much to be gained there... But I could be wrong...

You got a test log? If so, run it through... Give it an extra port, and compare... Then let us know... Worst case scenario, you gotta order another muffler...
Best case, it improves performance...
Something tells me there's not much to be gained there... But I could be wrong...

I will try that, I happen to have dual port 7900 muffler here right now, so I will just swap it out and see, Dave

I will try that, I happen to have dual port 7900 muffler here right now, so I will just swap it out and see, Dave

Please let us know.... I hope I'm wrong about my theory... Since I would like a new 7910. The existing 7900 will be going under the grinder soon...

Will do, but whats your theory.....

Dave.

That The engineers at Dolmar have figured out how to make a small expansion chamber inside the muffler of their saw... Reducing emissions while not hindering performance of the saw...
If so, you'll get a net gain of zero... Possibly a decrease in performance...

Dolmar 7910 Carb

So I went to look at the 7910's new carb before I put the 7900 dual port muffler on to test. I see the highspeed is not adjustable with a screwdriver. I call up Dolmar and ask for the special tool needed to richen the carb and they tell me that we are not allowed by epa to have them.......

Latest posts

Back