Pulled the trigger on the new DR K10 Rapidfire Splitter...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've owned the DR 6 ton model since about 2007 and it's served me well all of that time with no issues I'm happy to report. I've learned to manipulate it so it'll split rounds much larger than it's rated for also. I'd say I do about 90% of my splitting with my Fiskars x27 but there are times when the 6 ton electric is the way to go. So a couple weeks ago I get a postcard from DR thanking me for being an original electric splitter owner and offering an additional $200 off the sale price of $699 (which I likely would not consider paying) plus free shipping on the new 10 ton Rapidfire electric. I thought it over for a few days and though there's nothing wrong with my 6 ton other than it being on the slow side I figured it was time for a new piece of firewood equipment. I had it shipped to my job and it arrived yesterday much to the dismay of our regular UPS driver since it weighs about 135lbs....a good 40lbs less than the 6 ton. I was available to help unload it so it wasn't a big deal. So knowing it was due I made sure to put a few logs in the truck bed so I could test it out. I tried it out on 15 inch piece of locust and it ripped through like it wasn't even there! So after I split it up nice and small for my coworker I tried a piece of 13 inch cottonwood that I kinda knew ahead of time would be tough to get through and I was right. Though it tried valiantly to get through that stringy round it just kept tripping the breaker switch. I don't burn much cottonwood at all so I'm not disappointed. In oak, locust and maple it does a superb job and is super fast! The motor's also a lot quieter that the 6 ton model. For the amount of wood that I go through yearly this will be a great addition to my arsenal and at $500 out the door I'm pleased with it's performance. If I had to change one thing I'd make the wedge an inch or so higher. I took a couple grainy pics...my cam's not the greatest.

Attachments

• DSC00283.JPG
    DSC00283.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC00284.JPG
    DSC00284.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 187
No idea DR made a little electric flywheel splitter. It's got twin 12.5 lb flywheels on it. That little splitter running the flywheels at almost 500 rpm's scares me but I understand the rpm theory with such light flywheels...Let us know how the rack teeth and pinion gear hold up for you.

Looks like the 'ol DR two-hands at all times operation as well. Would certainly be bypassing that creature feature, no doubt.

No idea DR made a little electric flywheel splitter. It's got twin 12.5 lb flywheels on it. That little splitter running the flywheels at almost 500 rpm's scares me but I understand the rpm theory with such light flywheels...Let us know how the rack teeth and pinion gear hold up for you.

Looks like the 'ol DR two-hands at all times operation as well. Would certainly be bypassing that creature feature, no doubt.
Hahaha yes the two-handed feature is definitely not needed and would be a cinch to bypass. As far as the teeth and gear are concerned the box did clearly state "Made in China":innocent: Yet I remain optimistic:rolleyes:

What kind of cycle time are you getting

Does it have a good warranty and what is max length of wood it can split

That's interesting that 16" is max as 16" is a standard firewood length which usually varies by a couple inches (14-18). That would be an issue in my opinion...

That's interesting that 16" is max as 16" is a standard firewood length which usually varies by a couple inches (14-18). That would be an issue in my opinion...
I suppose it could present a problem from time to time but I'm already in the habit of cutting small so everything fits in my insert. Did some more splitting over the weekend and so far I'm very impressed with the power of this little thing:)

Hi there.

First off, I'd like to thank everyone here in this forum for providing a great site for peeps like me. I've been a long time lurker mainly looking for ideas on equipment and techniques. I'm no arborist. Just a regular homeowner who uses wood to heat home. So again thank you.

Anyway, I've been splitting wood all these years manually but lately my carpal tunnels on both hands have been bothering me. I still plan on splitting wood manually but I'd like to add a powered equipment as a supplement. I've borrowed and rented home depot grade hydraulic splitters a number of times including the 2 ways and I found them a bit slow for my purpose.

Now, i've been thinking about these flywheel types but they are a bit expensive until now. I've been eyeing this k10 model in particular based on the amount of wood that i use (3-4 cords a year) that could fit the bill. Not too much expensive from a relatively known supplier. I've tried reading about the pros and cons of these type of splitters but not so much about this specific model.

So I'd like the ask the original poster for a follow feedback about his experience and to hopefully others who have handled this particular model.

Thanks again.

So I'd like the ask the original poster for a follow feedback about his experience and to hopefully others who have handled this particular model.

Thanks again.
Hi Sakuji and welcome to AS! To answer your request for a followup I'll tell ya that I am still extremely pleased with the performance of the K10 splitter. I've run a few different types of wood through it and the only thing that's been tough to deal with so far has been some fresh cut cottonwood. But fresh cottonwood is tough to split anyway at least in my experience. But so far all the oak, maple, locust and birch that I've thrown at it have been no problem. I've put some pretty big rounds on it too around 18in and bigger and it's gone through 'em like a champ. I love splitting by hand too but on days when I wanna get a lot done quickly I'm glad to have that K10 cuz it's really fast and not hard on the ears at all too. It's small but it really packs a powerful punch. I can hardly wait till spring/summer so I can wheel it outside close to my big pile of rounds and go at 'em. For me this was just what I needed to be able to process rounds with quickness and the small compact size was another selling point. If you're able to try it before you buy it then by all means I'd say give it a shot. Good luck whatever you decide.:chop:

@ Thombat4

Oh as an add-on.

I saw in your video post about the K10 you said that even if the K10 is designed for 16 inches max you were able to go beyond that a couple of inches. Up to what size?
Coz I cut my wood between 16 - 18 inches with 18 as max otherwise it won't fit my stove. I'd say 80% of my wood is at 18 inches. Will that still be okay on the K10 based on your experience?

Thanks.

@ Thombat4

Oh as an add-on.

I saw in your video post about the K10 you said that even if the K10 is designed for 16 inches max you were able to go beyond that a couple of inches. Up to what size?
Coz I cut my wood between 16 - 18 inches with 18 as max otherwise it won't fit my stove. I'd say 80% of my wood is at 18 inches. Will that still be okay on the K10 based on your experience?

Thanks.

Hi Sakuji and welcome to AS! To answer your request for a followup I'll tell ya that I am still extremely pleased with the performance of the K10 splitter. I've run a few different types of wood through it and the only thing that's been tough to deal with so far has been some fresh cut cottonwood. But fresh cottonwood is tough to split anyway at least in my experience. But so far all the oak, maple, locust and birch that I've thrown at it have been no problem. I've put some pretty big rounds on it too around 18in and bigger and it's gone through 'em like a champ. I love splitting by hand too but on days when I wanna get a lot done quickly I'm glad to have that K10 cuz it's really fast and not hard on the ears at all too. It's small but it really packs a powerful punch. I can hardly wait till spring/summer so I can wheel it outside close to my big pile of rounds and go at 'em. For me this was just what I needed to be able to process rounds with quickness and the small compact size was another selling point. If you're able to try it before you buy it then by all means I'd say give it a shot. Good luck whatever you decide.:chop:

Thanks man.

Sorry, I didn't see your reply before I posted my second question. Thank you very much.
Anyway, my big concern is the longevity of this baby specially the teeth and straightness of the rack. I've seen a couple of flywheelers in person and they do split fast but they do have their weak points specially if the model comes from a no name company. I'm just glad that DR has a 2 year warranty coz I have about 5-6 cords of wood (mostly soft type and have been drying for atleast 1 year) waiting for me to split (everybody needs some exercise during winter; if you call splitting wood with a power tool as exercise).

Thanks again

Just wondering if you have an updated review? Looking at this unit for a way to split some of my larger wood for bundles
Well all I can say is I'm glad I made the purchase. It's holding up very well and appears to be constructed very solidly. I put a lot of oak, locust and maple through it with no problem. So far the only wood that's been troublesome has been fresh cut cottonwood...pretty stringy stuff. I think it's a really good splitter for what I need it for.

First time I have seen this compact, electric, kinetic splitter (in a local farm store for about $550): thought I would search before starting a new thread.

DR Electric Kinetic Log Splitter .jpg
Screen shot 2021-07-24 at 2.41.44 PM.png

Any feedback now that it has been a few years? Any comparisons to the $300 electric splitters?

Don't see it listed on the DR web page, but there are some older YouTube videos, and some images of similar looking splitters with different brand names.

Thanks.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back