Pulling Directions on Fall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you all realize that you're responding to a post that's almost 1 1/2 years old?

I didn't realize the archives of AS were so exciting.....

Maybe we should consult this fellow on "Pulling Directions on Fall"!
http://www.pbase.com/rbtree/image/5211063

I wonder if he factored a sudden gust of wind into the equation.
Before continuing with the lesson a short quiz.

The chain saw operator pictured above has:

A. More brass than an entire collegiate marching band.
B. A different insurance company each week.
C. An extra pair of briefs/boxers in the truck.
D. All the above.

:) Fred

TreeCo said:
That is the best felling shot I've seen. I bet that fellow learned that at arborist school or maybe from Ekka's video.
I bet it was Ekka himself with Thor pulling on it with a rope while Spydie drew a 10 page map on hingenomics! :blob1:
John

Crazy Canuck said:
Thats the first funny thing you've ever said Gypo
Weeeeeellll, mebbe not the foist..but it wuz purty funny...

Hey spydie, who or what is this rb or which you spake?....I doth have had no time to peruse thine eloquent tho wordy (well, duh) treatise...should my ears be a burnin'..or should I bow...or none of the above....?

TreeCo said:
That is the best felling shot I've seen. I bet that fellow learned that at arborist school or maybe from Ekka's video.

That fellow is wileyP....and I reckon you're joking....

I'll repost the video for ya newbies........just give me time....

I'd like to see the video meng. BTW you should get yer arse up to the Castle this winter and THEN we'll shoot some video.

This ain't no palm tree, pig turd it, and it's worthless..."close enough is good enough"...Yeah Right!

scan0004.jpg

So, you gonna hang around the stump of that one and cut out the hingewood as she goes over?

Ekka said:
I do not have to hide behind any veil, whether that be my occupation or my wifes.

And yes, why cant loggers and arbos meet in the middle????? We do, every day, just not here. Call it a stir factor, supremecy or cognitive dissidence ... either way, I am what I am.

Duck, run alittle, 'uhhohh' DIVE... Crap Im hit. Ohh ????, theres mud on my face.

Dude if your looking for supremecy maybe you should try swimming in a smaller pond? Harhar

CoreyTMorine said:
Duck, run alittle, 'uhhohh' DIVE... Crap Im hit. Ohh ????, theres mud on my face.

Dude if your looking for supremecy maybe you should try swimming in a smaller pond? Harhar

This industry is the most dangerous ... period. It is also one of the most unregulated. There's no shortage of "experts" with umpteen years of experience. They actually think because they have been doing the wrong thing for so long it makes it right.

This has nothing to do with supremecy and I thought better of you than to illustrate you contempt of safety and procedures to support a Gypo Crew.

There's a fairly recent thread in the injuries section right now where a customer was killed by some tree guy felling a tree that went the wrong way.
Perhaps he cut thru his hingewood. Why was the customer within striking distance?

There are preferred methods and different ways. And this thread provides the opportunity to kill a few birds with one stone by discussing these matters and stirring up the Gypo Crew.

I'm not looking to get on either side of anything, not much of a joiner.

Thanks for taking a minute to clear things up for me. Having come into this forum recently there is alot of history I'm not aware of. Therefor much of the banter doesn't make sence to me. I should have let your first post be, but i was still trying to come to grips with the mudslinging over on Murphy's "face cut" thread.

When a line is drawn on the ground, and arguments are settled by the volume of people (and their noise) on either side of that line the initial argument is often forgotten.

I'm not convinced that is exactly what is happening here. But whatever the case we no longer seem to be discussing the merits of a tapered hinge relating to compensation of weight or lean.

Thanks again. For taking the time to speak plainly and not in "old forumish".

Hi Corey, most of the problems revolve around the majority of climbers thinking it is rocket science to fall a tree. And when I say fall a tree , I mean the "whole", tree not just a 10 ft. stub after the crown and half the bodywood is removed. If the truth be known, the hack and stack crowd are terrified of falling a whole tree and are equaly terrified of their saws. And why wouldn't they be, they are duller than a hoe?
Only the most revered and accomplished climbers have incorporated the best of both worlds. I wonder if Ekka, Thor or MB would make a pimple on Beranek's a$$.
Hahaha :blob1:
John

Ekka said:
So, you gonna hang around the stump of that one and cut out the hingewood as she goes over?

Hanging in there and cutting your hingewood has its place. This was not one of those times. Notice the hingewood was cut up tight, but left to help guide the tree.
If you haven't hung in there, and cut off your hingewood to help guide a tree on occasion, you're not very experienced. For example, in thick wooded stands, just trying to get a tree to hit the ground without cutting the hingewood can cause more danger if the tree were to hang up. It then becomes much more dangerous trying to cut the "hang up". Cutting the hingewood will let the tree roll off and drop. But, we all know most accidents happen within 10' of the stump, so getting away from the stump soon as possible is usually the best policy!

scan0006.jpg

Gypo Logger said:
Hi Corey, most of the problems revolve around the majority of climbers thinking it is rocket science to fall a tree. And when I say fall a tree , I mean the "whole", tree not just a 10 ft. stub after the crown and half the bodywood is removed. If the truth be known, the hack and stack crowd are terrified of falling a whole tree and are equaly terrified of their saws. And why wouldn't they be, they are duller than a hoe?
Only the most revered and accomplished climbers have incorporated the best of both worlds. I wonder if Ekka, Thor or MB would make a pimple on Beranek's a$$.
Hahaha :blob1:
John

I'm going to have to let that stew for awhile. in the mean time i like your new avatar. that looks like a ski hill behind the railing. Did you ride that chainsaw down the ski hill John? :)

TreeCo said:
You guys, wow. That tree was a peice of cake even though Rogers saw was a little dull (he still wont get a silvey and do chain right) the rails were loose but the tree came down as planned. I've only been cutting in the Western US for 20 years now, I'm sure the steep ground, weather, thousands of hours of falling and bucking watching every cut looking at a stump when things go awry, (they do, really Ekka I like to drink beer, anyone who says they hit the mark always. I gotta call on that one.) But to listen to you hens yammer back and forth Its just amazing, Keep screwing around with those pull lines without cutting experience and youre gonna break something. And Gyppo Stay in the river bottoms. We'll take the tower sides. :blob5:

I liked that photo a lot.

The tree was relatively straight, single leader, just line evrything up well and it's gotta hit the spot. It's a high risk manouver if something went wrong. Like playing golf, if you have to tee off over a water hazard and that's all you see then you better resight for the flag and forget the water.

And you're right, I dont always 100% hit the mark but I try to, and the incidents where I dont generally tend to be the more forgiving spots where accuracy can be comprimised for efficiency as there's room for error.

Only yesterday I used a tapered hinge, offset pull rope to fell into a tight spot. All went spot on.

Also I do fell quite a few large eucs wholus bolus, they have different challenges as the canopies are hard to read for weighting and many have dead wood in the canopy which falls out, cavities and termites. :)

And Gypo, all I have seen you fell is piss easy pines that are symetrical and straight and in the middle of no mans land ... true heroic tree work! :p

Latest posts

Back