Puma saddle by buckingham

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superjunior

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Any one climbing in the puma saddle by buckingham? I'm about to pull the trigger on a new saddle and might be getting the puma. Just wondering if any one here is using one and if so what do they like about it. dislikes? How does it compare to others?

I've looked at the ergo, edge, sequoia, and a few others. I like how the puma has a lot of new features combined with some old school traits as well. Only problem is I'm looking at them on line, wish I could try them all on first...

This will probably be the last saddle I get, after 23 years of climbing this will only be my fourth saddle purchase. They do last a while

Puma

Any one climbing in the puma saddle by buckingham? I'm about to pull the trigger on a new saddle and might be getting the puma. Just wondering if any one here is using one and if so what do they like about it. dislikes? How does it compare to others?

I've looked at the ergo, edge, sequoia, and a few others. I like how the puma has a lot of new features combined with some old school traits as well. Only problem is I'm looking at them on line, wish I could try them all on first...

This will probably be the last saddle I get, after 23 years of climbing this will only be my fourth saddle purchase. They do last a while

Puma

That one does look nice, never really looked at it that much. Don't know anyone who has one though. I am still eyeing up the Edge as my next saddle. I am going to hand off my Master Deluxe to one of my newer climbers in the spring.

That one does look nice, never really looked at it that much. Don't know anyone who has one though. I am still eyeing up the Edge as my next saddle. I am going to hand off my Master Deluxe to one of my newer climbers in the spring.

yeah the edge sure looks comfy too but all those loops at the top of the back has me thinking they could get snagged a lot? I donno, sure wish I could compare them in person - I hate ordering something like this on line

That's what I usually do as well. I've probably owned a dozen or so saddles over my career. Mostly the older plane jane tree saddles. When I get a young prospect I usually "sell" him my old saddle at a deep discount and let him work it off. It allows me to buy a new one to play around with. :)

I am climbing in a Petzl Mini Boss now. It was the original Navaho but more resembles the Sequoia Swing now. Love that saddle for large removals and crane work. The most comfortable I have worked in. I am looking to buy another saddle as well but will hang on to my Mini boss. I have two spares besides that one. An ancient Miller that I climbed in 20 years ago and an old Weaver. I like having a spare set of gear on the job in case something goes wrong.

Ok, now I'm leaning more towards the petzl sequoia or ergo lite. From the pics it looks like neither saddle has a fixed ring or snap for a saw but I'll work around that. I'm a smaller dude (5ft 7in and 145) so I imagine that with either saddle I would have the adjustments rather tight. Last thing I need is a bunch of slack or tail from the adjustment straps coming undone and flopping around. Is this an issue with either saddle? I generally climb light and don't have a ton of gear with me but occasionally will be hefting a 460 for bigger stuff. Price isn't an issue, I just wanna be happy with my purchase. Any input on either saddle to help with my decision would be much appreciated as I don't have anywhere around me to try either out. Thanks

Ok, now I'm leaning more towards the petzl sequoia or ergo lite. From the pics it looks like neither saddle has a fixed ring or snap for a saw but I'll work around that. I'm a smaller dude (5ft 7in and 145) so I imagine that with either saddle I would have the adjustments rather tight. Last thing I need is a bunch of slack or tail from the adjustment straps coming undone and flopping around. Is this an issue with either saddle? I generally climb light and don't have a ton of gear with me but occasionally will be hefting a 460 for bigger stuff. Price isn't an issue, I just wanna be happy with my purchase. Any input on either saddle to help with my decision would be much appreciated as I don't have anywhere around me to try either out. Thanks

I have a sequoia and I love it. There are lots of places to "hook" biners through inorder to hang a saw. I use this biner Tree Stuff - Petzl Spirit Bent Gate Carabiner on my right side and it works great. i use a paddle biner with a short strap onto a screw lock biner that I use to hook a larger saw like the 460. The saddle can handle the heavy saw but I wouldnt want to do it every day. I highly recommend this saddle. It is very comfy for those extended stays. I have a review on treestuff and sherrill. I will say this though, when I bought my sequoia I had worn out my old bashlin swing saddle that I had used for a LONG time. prolly to long. My point is that I havent really tried any others so maybe I dont know what i am missing concering other saddles. I think my is good for a nother year or two and then I will prolly buy another. OR I may buy something else BEFORE my sequoia is done just for the hell of it. I would like to try out n ergo. But if i could only have one.......I am staying with my sequioa.

I have a sequoia and I love it. There are lots of places to "hook" biners through inorder to hang a saw. I use this biner Tree Stuff - Petzl Spirit Bent Gate Carabiner on my right side and it works great. i use a paddle biner with a short strap onto a screw lock biner that I use to hook a larger saw like the 460. The saddle can handle the heavy saw but I wouldnt want to do it every day. I highly recommend this saddle. It is very comfy for those extended stays. I have a review on treestuff and sherrill. I will say this though, when I bought my sequoia I had worn out my old bashlin swing saddle that I had used for a LONG time. prolly to long. My point is that I havent really tried any others so maybe I dont know what i am missing concering other saddles. I think my is good for a nother year or two and then I will prolly buy another. OR I may buy something else BEFORE my sequoia is done just for the hell of it. I would like to try out n ergo. But if i could only have one.......I am staying with my sequioa.

Thanks for the input tree ace. Do you have any issues with the tail end of adjustment straps or are they neatly tucked away somehow? Also wondering if the waist belt can be removed to add a hand saw sheath. I just bought a samurai hand saw that came with a sheath that is different from what I'm used to. Its a loop strap instead of a snap or ring. Looks like it would be better affixed to the belt itself rather then hanging from a biner which would put it down by my knees, I'd rather have it up by my hip

yeah the edge sure looks comfy too but all those loops at the top of the back has me thinking they could get snagged a lot? I donno, sure wish I could compare them in person - I hate ordering something like this on line
I cut those loops off. Another irritaing thing about the edge is the bridge attachments. My carabiner would get stuck on those clevis. Id like to upgrade my bridge with the ergos bridge. Beastmaster has bothe the edge and puma/ viking saddle he'd be a good guy to ask.

Thanks for the input tree ace. Do you have any issues with the tail end of adjustment straps or are they neatly tucked away somehow? Also wondering if the waist belt can be removed to add a hand saw sheath. I just bought a samurai hand saw that came with a sheath that is different from what I'm used to. Its a loop strap instead of a snap or ring. Looks like it would be better affixed to the belt itself rather then hanging from a biner which would put it down by my knees, I'd rather have it up by my hip

The leg straps tuck away kinda like back under where they came from. I could send a picture cuz i really cant describe it. The waist strap kinda folds back and into a plastic slidding thing on the strap. I will have it on tuesday i could take a picture. I am not sure about the handsaw part. I have a silky that I hang on my left side. I am pretty darn sure you could come up with a good way to do what you want with your handsaw.

The leg straps tuck away kinda like back under where they came from. I could send a picture cuz i really cant describe it. The waist strap kinda folds back and into a plastic slidding thing on the strap. I will have it on tuesday i could take a picture. I am not sure about the handsaw part. I have a silky that I hang on my left side. I am pretty darn sure you could come up with a good way to do what you want with your handsaw.

thanks man, hell your in Avon lake? be easier if I just drove over there and checked it out?

thanks man, hell your in Avon lake? be easier if I just drove over there and checked it out?

Sure. That would be cool. Do you have a wraptor? I would love to try one. But ya i would be happy to let you check out the sequoia. I have a size 2 though so I am not sure it will fit you quite right but you can still try it and atleast see what its all about. whenever man, I am busy tomorrow and tuesday and the rest of the week is up in the air for now. Maybe Saturday?

Sure. That would be cool. Do you have a wraptor? I would love to try one. But ya i would be happy to let you check out the sequoia. I have a size 2 though so I am not sure it will fit you quite right but you can still try it and atleast see what its all about. whenever man, I am busy tomorrow and tuesday and the rest of the week is up in the air for now. Maybe Saturday?

no wraptor (groundie power) but whatever man. I'd just like to take a look at the darn thing before pulling the trigger.. I'd probably fall through a size 2 anyhow but if your around on sat. maybe I'll take a drive over and check it out?

the petzl swing is better than the sequoia if you a fan of bonsun seat which if i heard you right awhile ago you got yourself a crane, right?

i am in the swing as we speak but i don't forsee it lasting all that long for me as i am much bigger than you and tend to go through gear faster but if you just a little guy that saddle (the swing) should be good for you.

the swing and the sequoia are the same. one leg loop and one a bonsun seat. which i recommend.

I haven't tried the puma but I don't like the looks of those gear loops, and doesn't look like enough of them for me.

I also have a sequioa and I love it, but it will depend on your climbing style. Its perfect if your climbing style is more athletic, but if you're the type to hang in a saddle with the main belt higher on your back you would want something else, maybe an ergo or swing.

I'm pretty sure its the lightest one you can get, which is a big plus, plus has more than enough spaces to carry extra gear, I added a couple caritools and a few non-locking bent gate spirits to hang gear on. The extra length of the straps has never gotten in my way.

Another big plus of the sequioa is that positioning of the bridge is very adjustable, and the very unique rings on it make it so that you can easily and quickly customize what you use on your bridge. I added a petzle ring to my bridge because I like the way the carabiners line up better on it.

regarding your handsaw, on the sequioa, you mite feed that strap thru one of the rings or stitched loops and girth hitch the strap -- that might take some of the length out of the strap on your holster and keep it up closer to your hip, and you wouldnt have to buy another piece of hardware after paying $365 for the saddle. or you could get a black diamond oval accessory biner to clip thru it and then pretty mcuh anywhere on the harness, or a petzl o-wall, same thing.

I've never been disappointed with my sequioa yet and would recommend that any climber with a more athletic climbing style buy one.

i wouldnt say it is a more athletic climbing saddle.

the preference is if you like having your balls randomly crushed throughout the climb or if you like to sit back comfortably any time during the climb.

athletic? lol. i like the analogy but i thoroughly enjoy climbing on rope and going out to the very tips of small as s branches and i do this at 6'6 235 and without a polesaw.

so yes i do indeed climb athletically but i indeed hate getting my balls broken by a leg looped saddle.

superjunior. enjoy your hips getting squeezed together and the random ball crush. the sequoia is an alright saddle but the swing is better but the best part is they the same exact saddle. minus the constant hip and ball squeeze of course.

lol.

Don't they make an add-on boson seat for that. Would be the best of both worlds. I, like Oldirty, do mostly removals and some crane work (not as much I would like). The boson seat suits my needs and comfort better. I never could get into the leg straps. Had an owner buy me a brand new shiny saddle with leg straps back when I worked for the services doing crane work all day.. I wore it two days and put it away. I went back to my old tree saddle with a sling seat. Much more comfortable when there is a lot of hang time involved on large removals. The leg straps ate me up.

BTW, I bought my last saddle (Mini Boss) on the recommendation of OD. He didn't steer me wrong, it has been a good one and the most comfortable I have worn.

I agree guys, I've climbed with and like them both, actually started climbing with a swing. I'm just a little partial to the leg straps. I usually don't get the nut squeeze, I try keeping the straps about halfway between the boys and knees when I'm going up in the crane and I'm pretty comfy. I gotta check and see if that swing could be added on tho

Latest posts

Back