Puma saddle by buckingham

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still didn't buy a saddle yet - procrastinating.. Read some reviews on sherrils site, lot of guys complaining about the inner straps on the legs biting in with the sequoia. The saddle I run now has nice comfy padding on the leg straps so it hasn't been an issue for me. If I do go with the petzl guess I'd go with the seat option but that's a lot of coin. Also a lot of complaints about the small d's, lack of tool storage and replacement rings being unavailable by petzl. :msp_confused:

I've never had a problem with the leg straps or ball busting with the petzl sequioa, although I have with other saddles. As I said before, its not going to be the best choice if your climbing style is such that you are hanging/sitting in it all day, which is probably why the nut busting is happening. I've NEVER had a problem with pinching hips on it, which is why I bought it to begin with -- you are doing something completely wrong if you experience hip pinching on most saddles with a rope bridge, and the sequioa is very adjustable so you can figure out whats the most comfortable positioning of the rings and bridge to suit your individual size and style.

the d-rings are slightly smaller than some of the old-school saddles, but not by much, and I don't mind because I use the snaps or carabiners on my fliplines.

the sequioa comes with five gear loops: 2 large loops, 3 smaller loops. I counted ten more webbing loops stitched throughout the rear of the belt which a caritool or bent gate Spirit biner could go thru to hang gear on (which is my preference - I have 2 caritools and 2 Spirits which my slings, biners, and ascenders, etc hang on)

I spend almost no time hanging/sitting in my harness, but if you are the type that does a lot of that you're not going to be as happy with it.

Based on what you said, I think the ergovation would be a better choice. I'm pretty sure you can add a bosun seat to it, which may be interchangeable with the leg straps if you planned on wanting both in the same saddle. Ergo also has attachments for chest asenders, suspenders, etc and dorsal attachment to create an approved fall arrrest harness. I know several guys that have them and are very happy with them, lots of extra padding and you can add a cold/hot pack to the padding in the back etc. Just keep in mind that its a bit heavier than the sequioa.

My Petzl has less gear loops than the newer one's I believe and it has not been a problem for me. You just have to do some customization to it. I've got a non locking, aluminum caribiner on my right side to hang my saw from and a small caritool on my left to carry loop runners, hand ascender or whatever else the job at hand my require. I did buy a rope ring to add onto mine because I was used to them. I hardly ever use it though. I have become accustomed to just hanging my climbing line on the caritool if I am spiking up. It's just change that is annoying sometimes. When you get used to hanging your stuff a particular way on your saddle then you have to change up after an upgrade it is a little uncomfortable at first. One thing I do not like about the Petzl is the smaller D's and no rope ring or saw clip. You'll have to add that stuff to it if you purchase one. It's a trade off. The Petzl is the most comfortable I have climbed in.

That's what I usually do as well. I've probably owned a dozen or so saddles over my career. Mostly the older plane jane tree saddles. When I get a young prospect I usually "sell" him my old saddle at a deep discount and let him work it off. It allows me to buy a new one to play around with. :)

I am climbing in a Petzl Mini Boss now. It was the original Navaho but more resembles the Sequoia Swing now. Love that saddle for large removals and crane work. The most comfortable I have worked in. I am looking to buy another saddle as well but will hang on to my Mini boss. I have two spares besides that one. An ancient Miller that I climbed in 20 years ago and an old Weaver. I like having a spare set of gear on the job in case something goes wrong.

Looks real comfortable but how do you like the small rings?

I'm not really crazy about the small rings but you get used to them. I like larger D's because you can distinguish them better by touch and are less likely to accidentally clip in to an aluminum biner. Just have to be careful and make sure you are clipping into your D.

I've never had a problem with the leg straps or ball busting with the petzl sequioa, although I have with other saddles. As I said before, its not going to be the best choice if your climbing style is such that you are hanging/sitting in it all day, which is probably why the nut busting is happening. I've NEVER had a problem with pinching hips on it, which is why I bought it to begin with -- you are doing something completely wrong if you experience hip pinching on most saddles with a rope bridge, and the sequioa is very adjustable so you can figure out whats the most comfortable positioning of the rings and bridge to suit your individual size and style.

the d-rings are slightly smaller than some of the old-school saddles, but not by much, and I don't mind because I use the snaps or carabiners on my fliplines.

the sequioa comes with five gear loops: 2 large loops, 3 smaller loops. I counted ten more webbing loops stitched throughout the rear of the belt which a caritool or bent gate Spirit biner could go thru to hang gear on (which is my preference - I have 2 caritools and 2 Spirits which my slings, biners, and ascenders, etc hang on)

I spend almost no time hanging/sitting in my harness, but if you are the type that does a lot of that you're not going to be as happy with it.

Based on what you said, I think the ergovation would be a better choice. I'm pretty sure you can add a bosun seat to it, which may be interchangeable with the leg straps if you planned on wanting both in the same saddle. Ergo also has attachments for chest asenders, suspenders, etc and dorsal attachment to create an approved fall arrrest harness. I know several guys that have them and are very happy with them, lots of extra padding and you can add a cold/hot pack to the padding in the back etc. Just keep in mind that its a bit heavier than the sequioa.

My Petzl has less gear loops than the newer one's I believe and it has not been a problem for me. You just have to do some customization to it. I've got a non locking, aluminum caribiner on my right side to hang my saw from and a small caritool on my left to carry loop runners, hand ascender or whatever else the job at hand my require. I did buy a rope ring to add onto mine because I was used to them. I hardly ever use it though. I have become accustomed to just hanging my climbing line on the caritool if I am spiking up. It's just change that is annoying sometimes. When you get used to hanging your stuff a particular way on your saddle then you have to change up after an upgrade it is a little uncomfortable at first. One thing I do not like about the Petzl is the smaller D's and no rope ring or saw clip. You'll have to add that stuff to it if you purchase one. It's a trade off. The Petzl is the most comfortable I have climbed in.

Alright you guys got me convinced. the sequoia it is. Seat or straps, hmmm

what do you mean "rope ring"? not sure what that is that you're talking about.

I use a paddle (accessory biner) clipped upright for my saw to hang on, I use the short saw strap with the ring, so it pushes right down into the paddle and comes out very easy since the paddle is a bent gate. I might switch my Spirit hangers to paddles for awhile to see if they work well on the back side where its a little more of a blind grab. the Spirits work pretty well, but the paddle has a bigger opening, so it might be easier to grab stuff out of it back there.

One of these but I find it totally useless now. I just clip my rope and eye to eye onto my caritool now. I bought the rope ring when I fisrt got that saddle because that is how I had always attached it when spike climbing before:

Saddle Accessories : SherrillTree Tree Care Equipment

Do you have a link or a pic of the paddle? Never heard of one and I'm having a hard time picturing it. I clip my saw to my aluminum biner with the short ring as well.

One of these but I find it totally useless now. I just clip my rope and eye to eye onto my caritool now. I bought the rope ring when I fisrt got that saddle because that is how I had always attached it when spike climbing before:

Saddle Accessories : SherrillTree Tree Care Equipment

Do you have a link or a pic of the paddle? Never heard of one and I'm having a hard time picturing it. I clip my saw to my aluminum biner with the short ring as well.

see thats what I use as a saw lanyard, on my 200t I thread the web sling thru the metal loop on the saw and girth hitch it, then the ring on the strap is what I clip in and out of the paddle.

here is a link from sherrill Accessory Carabiner : SherrillTree Tree Care Equipment

the kong paddle carabiner is what I have usually bought Accessory Carabiners, Non-locking Carabiners (although I quit buying kong products bc of the breaks, though it doesnt matter as much on accessory gear)

tomoro I'll post a pic of how I put it on my harness.

I'll take a pic of mine as well. Yes, the Kong paddle is exactly what I am using too. I would like to see how you are attaching your saw. I'm looking for a better option.

I'll take a pic of mine as well. Yes, the Kong paddle is exactly what I am using too. I would like to see how you are attaching your saw. I'm looking for a better option.

IMG00322-20120207-2359.jpg

saw strap with ring girth hitched to the ring on the 192 climb saw

IMG00321-20120207-2359.jpg

where the paddle clips on my sequioa (I usually have a black one there, but I swapped it out for a newer blue and yellow one so you can see it better)

IMG00323-20120208-0000.jpg

paddle on the harness, saw w/ strap clipped on

it comes off and on w/o looking, w/ one hand, and works the same way for the big saws too. pretty easy. sometimes I just grab the strap and push the gate open with my thumb, same way putting it away - just hold it by the strap and push it down into the gate and snapped rite in.

Ya just gotta really be confident that you're not going to drop it -- I know a lot of guys that always have their saw attached in some way or another with a longer saw lanyard but for me that always got caught on everything, and I havent dropped a saw yet.

btw in the first pic, top right corner is one of the orange bent gate Spirit biners I use for hanging gear on. Works pretty good, but the paddle mite be better since it has a larger opening, making it easier to get stuff out without looking.

Last edited:
IMG00322-20120207-2359.jpg

saw strap with ring girth hitched to the ring on the 192 climb saw

IMG00321-20120207-2359.jpg

where the paddle clips on my sequioa (I usually have a black one there, but I swapped it out for a newer blue and yellow one so you can see it better)

IMG00323-20120208-0000.jpg

paddle on the harness, saw w/ strap clipped on

it comes off and on w/o looking, w/ one hand, and works the same way for the big saws too. pretty easy. sometimes I just grab the strap and push the gate open with my thumb, same way putting it away - just hold it by the strap and push it down into the gate and snapped rite in.

Ya just gotta really be confident that you're not going to drop it -- I know a lot of guys that always have their saw attached in some way or another with a longer saw lanyard but for me that always got caught on everything, and I havent dropped a saw yet.

btw in the first pic, top right corner is one of the orange bent gate Spirit biners I use for hanging gear on. Works pretty good, but the paddle mite be better since it has a larger opening, making it easier to get stuff out without looking.
That is not a good idea using that accessory Carabiner to hold your saw.I have seen them fall on a few occasions like that .Sometimes a branch can get in there and pop it open .What we use now is a Petzyl ball lock.

That is not a good idea using that accessory Carabiner to hold your saw.I have seen them fall on a few occasions like that .Sometimes a branch can get in there and pop it open .What we use now is a Petzyl ball lock.

Which accessory biner were you guys using?

I can see the potential for that happening I suppose, although its never happened to me. Any positive locking biner would absolutely secure it, but would also take away the nearly autonomic nature out of it for me, which would slow me down, although maybe only marginally because on removals I'm cutting everything out of my way anyway, and on trims I'm using the handsaw a great deal of the time. It might be a PITA in the winter though.

I dont think they make a locking biner with a bent gate either, with would mean less room to get things in and out of. Not really an issue for just the saw, but on removals I often snap in a Hard-D biner thats tied or spliced to my rigging line AFTER I snap in my saw. Where that paddle is on my saddle, it makes it very easy to see and easy to reach down, unclip it, and tie off the next peice.

I know a lot of guys that climb with the 2in1 saw lanyard, so that their saw is always tethered to them so they wont ever have the opportunity to drop it, which is alot more likely to happen than a branch knocking it out of a paddle IMO, but I hate those things always getting caught on everything and restricting your reach with the saw as well, harder to cut with the right hand if its tethered on your left side etc.

In 7 years I've been lucky enough not to drop my saw or have a branch knock it out of my paddle. I use the paddle because of its unique shape, and never used a different accessory biner for hanging my saw on.

You bring up a good point though, and if I had a new guy working with me using the saw I paid for he'd get stuck with the auto-locking biner and 2n1 saw lanyard.

Another consideration could be also that generally an accessory biner will have a lower break strength than your harness, rope, and safety connectors like the auto-lockers. Might come into play if something were to catch on your saw.

I use the petzl bent gate for my 200T. The paddle biner on the short saw lanyard works great for bigger saws. I just hook em right on the handle. When I am not using it I just hook it back to the screw lock biner it hangs from. I also like my biner quick draw. It's nice for tying work ropes n such to and I can see it better when tie/untie.

I use a bungee break away lanyard with to rings to secure it from falling should I drop it. I've got a boat swivel snap girth hitched to the end of it that I clip to the ring on my 200. I use the saw lanyard girth hitched to the handle of my larger saws like Tree Ace and just clip it to the ring on my bungee saw lanyard. Kind of hard to see in these pics. I was wearing my saddle when I took them and didn't realize they were so close up:

66fd0909b34543e991d1c1546b17abc2.jpg

9934869d100a4f959baf0b8c34c6390b.jpg

Here's a storm damaged River Birch I did a restoration pruning on today:

884e261e8c324fd2b09365cf52de769f.jpg

just to glarify, i dont girth hitch the landyard to the bigger saw. I clip the saw handle to the paddle biner and unclip it when I am gonna cut. I used to leave a lanyard girth hitched to the saw handle but i found it kinda annoying.

Not a bad idea. I have gotten used to having them girth hitched tho so it doesn't really bother me.

The guy I first started doing crane work for would not let me have a saw tied to me when cutting big wood. I used an 038 and hung it on a ladder snap. I would unclip it to make my cuts. I was always paranoid of dropping it as my boss could be a real A-hole at times. Today I am paranoid about dropping them because I know how much I payed for them. That's why I like to keep them on a bungee lanyard.

I also girth hitch those saw lanyards to the handle of the bigger saws. same thing for me tho, sometimes I handle it by the strap bc I'm less likely to likely to drop it clipping in and out.

Thats a cool idea you have tho TreeAce, I might try that clipping the paddle into the handle.

lol I think you're the first tree climber besides me that I've ever seen a quickdraw on his saddle though -- they come in handy sometimes, especially reaching behind me to grab stuff. My buddy is a rock climber, and instructor at one of our local climbing gyms, he laughed and laughed and laughed at me, he's like "one quickdraw? you're ordering ONE quickdraw?" hahaha he has like 50 of them, 100 cams, etc. He also owns a satellite bizz, has a funny commercial where he wants to put a dish on devils tower, which he's climbed several times. Saunders Satellite "Dish Climber" commercial - YouTube now where's the TV? hahaha

Back