Puma saddle by buckingham

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for you sequoia guys. Is it possible to finagle a biner into two of those slots so it would lie flat against the saddle? Pretty much the opposite of how it would be normally to hang a saw. Reason I ask is my handsaw sheath has a strap that's too short to girth hitch to anything and to hang it from a biner the normal way would position the saw facing out away from me instead of lying flat against the hip.

Question for you sequoia guys. Is it possible to finagle a biner into two of those slots so it would lie flat against the saddle? Pretty much the opposite of how it would be normally to hang a saw. Reason I ask is my handsaw sheath has a strap that's too short to girth hitch to anything and to hang it from a biner the normal way would position the saw facing out away from me instead of lying flat against the hip.

which saw/sheath is it? post a pic of it and lemme see if I can come up with something for ya.

which saw/sheath is it? post a pic of it and lemme see if I can come up with something for ya.

Cool man I'll give it a try. Not sure how to. Copy and paste on this thing. Sitting in a hospital room with my wife's iPad

It is possible to do with both a Kong Paddle and a Petzl Spirit.

paddle.jpg

spirit.jpg

spirit2.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the wesspur catalog it's the samurai heavy duty 13inch, not a very good pic of the sheath strap tho. Better pic of similar strap would be the silky leg sheeth or the silky zubat sheeth. Strap is basically the same but a little shorter. not really meant to hang from a belt but more for a belt to be run through it

yea so its more like a hunting knife sheath.

if you dont mind it permanently fixed you could cut the strap 2" below the top of the fold, feed it thru the stitched webbing loops and have it stitched in. Not fun, but probably could be done locally pretty cheap.

another probably easier and less permanent option would be to push the entire strap thru the stitched loops or thru a biner fixed to the harness like in the pics I just posted, and use the small accessory cord or even tennis racket grip tape etc to loop/lash/or affix the strap to the sheath. That will take the length out of the strap, and still function to hold it in place for you, if you can picture what I'm saying

basically if you one-fold the strap down so that it runs along the sheath. I can try it with my hunting knife and post a pic later for you if you want

yea so its more like a hunting knife sheath.

if you dont mind it permanently fixed you could cut the strap 2" below the top of the fold, feed it thru the stitched webbing loops and have it stitched in. Not fun, but probably could be done locally pretty cheap.

another probably easier and less permanent option would be to push the entire strap thru the stitched loops or thru a biner fixed to the harness like in the pics I just posted, and use the small accessory cord or even tennis racket grip tape etc to loop/lash/or affix the strap to the sheath. That will take the length out of the strap, and still function to hold it in place for you, if you can picture what I'm saying

basically if you one-fold the strap down so that it runs along the sheath. I can try it with my hunting knife and post a pic later for you if you want

Thanks for the ideas. I think the way you have the biners shown in the pics will work just fine. Maybe I'll cut the strap and restitch in the future

Ok, done procrastinating. Almost pulled the trigger on the sequoia swing but after a little research I learned that the swing isn't a pad that would conform but rather an actaul seat. Hard plastic and stiff, like having a padded 2x4 strapped to your rear end, not at all what I would like. Just ordered the basic sequoia from sherrill. :rock:

Ok, done procrastinating. Almost pulled the trigger on the sequoia swing but after a little research I learned that the swing isn't a pad that would conform but rather an actaul seat. Hard plastic and stiff, like having a padded 2x4 strapped to your rear end, not at all what I would like. Just ordered the basic sequoia from sherrill. :rock:

I am sure the swing is good for certain apps but all in all I am pretty dam sure you made the right choice.

Well the sequoia came yesterday and I got to say I'm pretty disappointed. Haven't had it up a tree yet but I was hanging off a beam in my shop yesterday trying to get it adjusted to me. Having it on (as far as tree work goes) I felt naked, well I guess more like wearing a banana hammock at the beach. It's light, probably the lightest saddle I've ever seen. But it seams like the light weight and breathability was a trade off for padding and comfort. There is no padding in this little thing. Really I can only compare it to my old saddle (sierra moreno mercantile co. I think) which I've worn for probably the last 10 years or so. That was a big ol comfy cushy caddilac (heavy tho) compared to the little sequoia. Everything felt constricting and choking - waist belt digging into my ribs, leg straps choking out my upper theighs and riding up into the boys.. I tried adjusting it every which way but nothing felt right. I wouldn't want to have anything heavier then a climbing saw strapped to this belt. Probably be a nice belt for the heat of the summer but I can't see it being comfortable for any extended period in a tree.

So not sure what I'm gonna do here. I might get "used" to it.. I might just put it back in the package and try to sell it as brand new. I knew I shouldn't have ordered a climbing belt through the mail. Next time I'll drive half way across the country before I order something like this over the internet. I knew better - major bummer

Well That sucks. All i can say is when I first got mine I was pissed to. It wasnt until i started working in it that I started to love it.

maybe I'll give it a shot

I know how you feel. You know I like mine. But if you have hung from it and still dont like it??? well , maybe you should eat the shipping and return it? I started to like mine when I hung in it. When I first pulled it outa the box I thought I had been took. You can hang a bigger saw from it but its not ideal for that. I chuncked down a spar yesterday with my 046, no problem. But if I was a removal spec and using bigger saws everyday I would prolly go with a different choice,

Well, you should be able to return it if it's unused.
I thought there was a no return policy on climbing gear from sherrill but I'll double check

I know how you feel. You know I like mine. But if you have hung from it and still dont like it??? well , maybe you should eat the shipping and return it? I started to like mine when I hung in it. When I first pulled it outa the box I thought I had been took. You can hang a bigger saw from it but its not ideal for that. I chuncked down a spar yesterday with my 046, no problem. But if I was a removal spec and using bigger saws everyday I would prolly go with a different choice,
I'm gonna bring it back out in the shop and fiddle with it again. If I keep it I'll have to keep my old saddle handy for bigger saw use, its getting pretty beat up though. I usually don't have anything bigger then a 460 with me, once in a great while a 660

Back