Putting a chainsaw on your shoulder :/

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aled Owen

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Some mate of mine who thinks he knows everything about the forestry and tree surgery industry told me every professional puts the bar of the chainsaw on their shoulder so the powerhead is behind them and they're holding the nose of the bar.

Sounds like bulls**t to me as depending on the weight of the powerhead and the durability of the bar it could have some nasty bending effects on the bar, would he be actually right, I just don't see the point of doing so :/

Your mate is more right than wrong. In fact, they make a special shoulder pad just for this. Keeps the chain from digging into your shoulder.

However, it is an extremely unsafe practice since it puts a razor sharp chain in close proximity to your carotid artery. One slip and it's all over.

The only reason I see the need for this is[maybe] if you're packing a big felling saw deep in the woods.
I guess it would save your back some strain on a long hike,but as other have said about falling down while holding one that way would sure smarts a lot.

I've gone down this road before, but I'm a shoulder-carryer most times. BUT, I wrap a Pack Shack cover (with leather muffler guard) over a plastic scabbard and slip a piece of foam between the scabbard and cover, and replace my long bucking spikes with stubbier ones. I've easily walked hundreds of trail miles with my 036 this way and never had an incident. My only exception is winter when the footing's real slippery. Then I'll carry my saw on a Cabela's freighter frame backpack.

That said, I can't imagine carrying one with a bare bar and chain on my shoulder for any distance, but that's just my opinion.

I've never done it, but during the ice storm of 98, had a groundie walking across the snow with a saw on his shoulder who suddenly had one of his legs sink and caused the chain to run right down his neck as he lost his balance. That took a few stitches.

I carry my 660 on my shoulder if going any distance, but this is in the fall and winter. I usally wear a hooded sweat shirt or carhartt hooded jacket. I've never burned myself or cut myself. If you carry a saw any distance, this method is a heck of a lot easier that carrying it by the handle.

I carry mine on my shoulder, got a leather pad on my susspenders and either keep the bar covered or wear gloves. Its not such a big thing with a small saw but when I'm carrying my 066 with a 32" bar or my 880 with.... well any size bar I prefer to have the weight off my fingers if I'm traveling any distance.

As far as bending a bar, I've never bent a bar like this even the 47" bar on my 880 weighing in around 35 pounds hasnt been an issue.

I guess how you carry a saw is a matter of personal preferance, as long as you feal safe doing it one way dont worry what everyone else is doing IMHO

My 3120 Husqy with the 50' bar is a beast to carry one-handed. Over the shoulder leaves another hand for gas & oil, perhaps other tools.

NOT very safe, I don't carry that way too often. It's a pretty comfy way to tote a big saw, though.

All the guys are doing it. But I like to strike a pose this way.

Thebridge056.jpg

Last edited:
walk around with a 660 for 6 hours and you will be looking for all kinds of neat ways to carry it. the saw rides on my shoulder pretty often. but like others said when walking down on unsure terrain just use common sense.

My preference would be to stop and just take a rest when the saw gets to heavey to carry. I don't care how heavey a saw is if it can't be handled safely then it's got no business being used. On the shoulder is just recklace and cocky I think. I would rather not sit in the ER for 6 hours to get stitched up just because I was to lazy to practice common sense. Murphys law, I know it all to well, that's why I don't take chances with safety anymore.

steve:cheers:

Guess it depends on how long your day's walk is... From the truck to the backyard is one thing---8 miles of fireline is another - I don't care who you are, you aren't carrying a saw by the handle for that long!

Wrap your chaps around the bar for padding and protection. (you do have chaps, right?...if not, you don't have a leg to stand on in a safety discussion.)

Guess it depends on how long your day's walk is... From the truck to the backyard is one thing---8 miles of fireline is another - I don't care who you are, you aren't carrying a saw by the handle for that long!

Wrap your chaps around the bar for padding and protection. (you do have chaps, right?...if not, you don't have a leg to stand on in a safety discussion.)

:agree2: has nothing to do with being cocky. if your dumb enough to put a bare chain against your neck then thier you go. carrying a saw on your shoulder is common sense just think about what your doing before you do it. everytime we gotta hike back somewhere everyone carries it on thier shoulder for the simple fact is that its the easiest way. generally the people doing this are carrying felling saws 440 660 880 size saws that weigh 20+ pounds

thiers a few companies that sell suspnder pads and various other products for use when carrying a saw on your shoulder.

For any real distance I put the power head on my shoulders with the bar and chain pointed rearward. I balance the saw by holding the rear handle with a little weight nose heavy. This way there aren't any cutters near my neck, nor bucking dogs, and if I trip or slip and I want to get away from the saw I could let go or shove it off if need be. So far so good.

Watching where I'm going and my footing proves to be a good idea anyway.

I like the scabbard and chaps idea though, BTW.

If you are bending your bar this way, then it's time to get a new and different bar.

For any real distance I put the power head on my shoulders with the bar and chain pointed rearward. I balance the saw by holding the rear handle with a little weight nose heavy. This way there aren't any cutters near my neck, nor bucking dogs, and if I trip or slip and I want to get away from the saw I could let go or shove it off if need be. So far so good.

Watching where I'm going and my footing proves to be a good idea anyway.

I like the scabbard and chaps idea though, BTW.

If you are bending your bar this way, then it's time to get a new and different bar.

That's a great idea and I'll try the powerhead on my shoulder carry. My chaps are always covered in poison ivy so they're not coming near my neck.
Phil

I can't remember where I read it, some safety stats somewhere, but I was surprised at the number of fatality's each year from carrying a chainsaw on your shoulder. It was in the 20s I beleave(USA)
I am guilty of it sometimes. If I know I have to walk in someplace with a big saw I'll cover the bar with a piece of cut up fire hose. You still got them big dogs aiming for your neck. beastmaster

I can't remember where I read it, some safety stats somewhere, but I was surprised at the number of fatality's each year from carrying a chainsaw on your shoulder. It was in the 20s I beleave(USA)
I am guilty of it sometimes. If I know I have to walk in someplace with a big saw I'll cover the bar with a piece of cut up fire hose. You still got them big dogs aiming for your neck. beastmaster

Does not surprise me. People can kill themselves doing just about anything. Not exactly sure how though.. common sense and a bit of respect for the saw and what it is goes a long way.

Any time you are carrying a larger saw (frankly even a 441 or up).. if walking 6 or more miles.. make a huge difference. I have suspenders with a leather pad on left shoulder build for carrying a saw. I don't use it much, but I have when walking long distances with one of heavier saws.. depends on distance but it does make a huge difference on how much work it is. Do not ever try without a pad though, a lot more dangerous (as pad does provide some protection below and on each side of bar/chain .. if put on right offers more closer to your neck than on other side)... and a lot less painful on shoulder.

Here is pad picture. https://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15365

Last edited:
Back