Putting left over chain saw gas mix in a car?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David (saltas)

David (saltas)

Addicted to ArboristSite
When I was 20 I put some oversize stem valves in a Honda XR350 a long time ago
I got it a little hot durring the running period.
( I rode the bike to work 25 miles and I was running late)
any way that afternoon when I went to ride it home it had a stuck valve.

The fix was hit the head with a big nylon hammer.
Use some of my AV gas from my race bike (lots a lead in that 100~140 octane) and some two stroke oil.

Ran a couple of tanks through it like that and it never stuck a valve again.

ncfarmboy

ncfarmboy

Addicted to ArboristSite
I do it all the time. I keep my mixed fuel no longer than 30 days, then it goes in my 07 Tacoma. I know guys that actually add 2 stroke oil to their vehicles on every fill up. The reasoning was to lubricate the fuel pump. It's really a diluted mixture, like 3oz to a tankfull. I don't know if it actually does what they think it does, but it probably doesn't hurt either.

I add mixing oil to my 99 Dodge diesel to lube the injection pump. 3.2 oz Woodland Pro in 30 gal.
diesel. Old mix log splitter.
Shep

Sal C

Sal C

ArboristSite Lurker
I've run it in just about everything I drive. When E10 first came out I used too dump a bottle of pennsoil 2-stroke oil in the tank of my truck (oo f150) since the ethonal is so dry (less lube = more injector wear, fuel pump, etc)

I ran straight 40-1 4 year old boat gas in a old nissan and it liked it. Smoked a little more but it was 20+ gallons of free gas and the engine still runs decent 3 years later.

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
I add mixing oil to my 99 Dodge diesel to lube the injection pump. 3.2 oz Woodland Pro in 30 gal.
diesel. Old mix log splitter.
Shep

I know guys that were dumping a quart of walmart tcw3 ashless into each tank on them. The vp is a bad pump to start with and a p pump will fix all them problems. Just not cheap to do but cheaper than 2 vps.

Leftover mix if any is around ends up used in the burn pile. I get non ethanol so unless it goes over 3 months old I keep using it.

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Why not keep it handy for the saw? I mix saw gas 5 gals at a time and sometimes it will last 6 months+ (I don't normally do much chainsaw cutting, just mostly used for limbing stuff the delimber can't get and cutting the tree lengths in half for the firewood processor.)

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
No, the VP isn't a bad pump, just Dodge had a bad fuel design to feed them. Fix the fuel feed and the pump will live a long time.
Also if you get a cheapish rebuild the pump ECM is not replaced and that has made a bad name for the pumps too.
I won't say they are my favorite setup, but they aren't bad either. Lot of heavy equipment used that similar setup, as well as VW, AUDI, BMW, Chevy/GMC, Ford, etc... yeah... the DB series pumps are pretty similar to a VP44.

The p7100 is more robust, but also much more simple... not capable of dynamic timing adjustments.
In theory the VP44 should get much better fuel mileage. It doesn't, I don't know why, but it certainly make less polluti0n.

In case your wondering, I went to school for this stuff haha.

I know guys that were dumping a quart of walmart tcw3 ashless into each tank on them. The vp is a bad pump to start with and a p pump will fix all them problems. Just not cheap to do but cheaper than 2 vps.

Leftover mix if any is around ends up used in the burn pile. I get non ethanol so unless it goes over 3 months old I keep using it.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Why not keep it handy for the saw?
Automotive fuel breaks down, regardless of the ethanol issue - lots of info on this on the chainsaw and gasoline vendors websites. Modern chainsaw carbs are fussier than car fuel injectors. I label my fuel with the date of purchase - if it is over 30 days old, it goes in the car. Might be over protective, but effective and easy to follow.

One gallon of 50:1 fuel, mixed in with another 10 gallons of straight gas, works out to a 500:1 mix. Usually I am not adding more than 1/2 a gallon, so that is 1,000:1

Philbert

http://www.stihlusablog.com/2012/03/gasoline-guidelines-for-stihl-outdoor.html

http://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/Gasoline_Guidelines-1.pdf

Attachments

• STIHL Gasoline Guidelines.pdf
    222.1 KB · Views: 2
mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
No, the VP isn't a bad pump, just Dodge had a bad fuel design to feed them. Fix the fuel feed and the pump will live a long time.
Also if you get a cheapish rebuild the pump ECM is not replaced and that has made a bad name for the pumps too.
I won't say they are my favorite setup, but they aren't bad either. Lot of heavy equipment used that similar setup, as well as VW, AUDI, BMW, Chevy/GMC, Ford, etc... yeah... the DB series pumps are pretty similar to a VP44.

The p7100 is more robust, but also much more simple... not capable of dynamic timing adjustments.
In theory the VP44 should get much better fuel mileage. It doesn't, I don't know why, but it certainly make less polluti0n.

In case your wondering, I went to school for this stuff haha.
I've had a crap shoot on those pumps. One was fed with a FASS with 14-15 lbs of fuel from 8k miles and the pump died at 52k. One lasted to 92k and didn't get a FASS until 40k. I wouldn't turn down a good deal on one of those trucks because of it but it's the least favorite for me. I prefer the VE pump for a daily driver looking for mileage.

anlrolfe

anlrolfe

Honor GOD, Country and Corps
. AS Supporting Member.
Freaked out my old S-10 O2 sensor with a little mineral spirits. After some run time it straightened up. Never do that again.

I dump the old mix in my Ranger a few times per year without a hitch. Figure its better than most store bought top-end lube. My lawn mower eats it on occasion as well. If you have any of the 4-stroke(not 4-mix) trimmers/blowers with crankcase oil they will be little affected by water in the same way of a 2-cycle and can eat this old mix with little trouble. 4-mix engines circulate through the case and water will rob the lub properties same as 2-cycle leading to its death.

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
[
I use it as long as it's not several years old.

QUOTE="Philbert, post: 5232165, member: 12609"]Automotive fuel breaks down, regardless of the ethanol issue - lots of info on this on the chainsaw and gasoline vendors websites. Modern chainsaw carbs are fussier than car fuel injectors. I label my fuel with the date of purchase - if it is over 30 days old, it goes in the car. Might be over protective, but effective and easy to follow.

One gallon of 50:1 fuel, mixed in with another 10 gallons of straight gas, works out to a 500:1 mix. Usually I am not adding more than 1/2 a gallon, so that is 1,000:1

Philbert

http://www.stihlusablog.com/2012/03/gasoline-guidelines-for-stihl-outdoor.html

http://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/Gasoline_Guidelines-1.pdf[/QUOTE]

Chris_In_VT

Chris_In_VT

Brrraaaaap!
I dump it in the lawn tractor/wood splitter, sometimes my 1976 F250 with a 390V8. It doesn't care. I am hesitant to put it into my 2012 F150 though...

I used to run 2 stroke oil in my Mazda RX7, a small bottle every couple tanks, it liked that. Smelled like a saw when I drove by!

Latest posts