Q: What's the best way to buck firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks lovely to me

I would surely like to have the problem of watching out for my feet. Seems it would be easier than watching out for my back from all of the bending over like I am doing now. Besides that thing doesn't burn much fuel when it's just idleing.

Last edited:
Whiskey Tango, you got one of those "mine is bigger than yours" thing.

Here's what we do:
fell
limb
buck
hump
trailer
hump #2
split
stack
hump #3
burn

...and that's all folks. :bang:

fire wood will heat the body many times even tho its only burned once :chainsaw:

theres even a video on youtube of a guy splitting with the hoe. scribed himself a ring line with the bucket, set up rounds, then smashed the cutting edge of the bucket on each one. reset and repeat :rock:

Burns about 40 gallons when working hard all day. Using it to move firewood around, I would be surprised if it used 10. Better to let it idle than keep shutting off and restarting.

I normally never get this lucky though. We happened to be starting a new housing project. The owner had the clearing done on his own and his tree guy left all the logs behind. (stumps too) We happened to be doing a house demolition, hence the reason for the grapple being there. We are getting paid to remove the logs as well. :cool2: Normally, if we do the clearing, the logs are the company's property and I only get the tops.

BTW, the hoe fits on the trailer, you just have to be good. :msp_thumbsup: Need a permit though.

Nice machine indeed! I have a thumb on my John Deere 310 but it takes too much time tp pick up a log, get out and buck it and climb back in grab another...repeat. Remember the more times you handle the wood, the more it cost! I make a nice and neat pile of logs with the backhoe or skidsteer -n- grapple, close to the splitter then buck them into rounds right off the pile...split them rounds pushing the splits onto a conveyor and into the dump truck. dump it into a big pile and repeat...Saving my back in the process!

Back