Quad Cab pickups?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bytehoven

Pixel Wrangler
Reaction score
Would anyone care to comment on there favorite Quad Cab pickup?

I am looking for something used and have a couple on my short list.

2005 Dodge 2500 Power Wagon
2004-2005 Totyota Tundra

I'd love to hear which other quad cabs I should take a look at.

I could get by with a short bed, and I love something with decent road manners as well as trail worthy. That's what has kinda shaped my short list so far.

I'm 6'5 and I have a little trouble ducking in/out of the smaller fram pickups like the Dakota, Tacoma, etc. I need something with a nice tall entry so I can enter/exit without needing to manipulate my head.

I'm not in a hurry and if there is a automotive price meltdown like we saw a short time ago, I might be tempted to buy something new. However, I would prefer to get something used.

At 6', 200, I like my '01 f250. My first p/u with supercab-shortbox, the other two were longbed and the ride was better, much less front-to-rear bounce. It'll be a long bed again next time around.

I like the seat closer, if you like it back then the ford quad gets tight for the rear passenger.

I think the nissan Titan has the most inside room out of all of them. my choice would be the F-350.
-Ralph

Last edited:
Toyota is #1

I think the nissan Titan has the most inside room out of all of them. my choice would be the F-350.
-Ralph

There was a report on the national news last night about how Toyota is about to surpass GM in total sales worldwide. This was attributed to three things: quality, reliability, and innovation. The best part is TOYOTAS ARE MADE HERE!!!!!!!

Anyway, I bought a used Tundra TRD '03 last Feb. It is by far the best truck I have ever owned. It replaced an Explorer '97 (was nickle and diming me to death) and is far superior to the Dakota I owned before that.

Downside, I am going to court today to protest a speeding ticket. That f@#ker is sneaky fast!

Last edited by a moderator:
the chevy/gmc pickups with the 4.3L gasser is also getting 200-300K miles as well.
-Ralph

Last edited:
the chevy/gmc pickups with the 4.3L gasser is also getting 200-300K miles as well.
-Ralph

Add to that the 210K that my F250, 5.4L gasser has, still going strong, and no signs of quitting any time soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, I run a Ford Courier not sure if you have them in the US, My first one a 4x2 2.2 diesel 320K still going strong, Second one 4x4 2.5 turbo diesel 200K - just run in - the 4x4 started out as a pickup then converted to flatbed with a 7' x 6' tray we also have beefed up rear suspension in the models here and i have had up to 5000lb in the back and still haven't broken it !
Rooshooter .....(+)

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I run a Ford Courier not sure if you have them in the US, My first one a 4x2 2.2 diesel 320K still going strong, Second one 4x4 2.5 turbo diesel 200K - just run in - the 4x4 started out as a pickup then converted to flatbed with a 7' x 6' tray we also have beefed up rear suspension in the models here and i have had up to 5000lb in the back and still haven't broken it !
Rooshooter .....(+)

What's that big orange light on the front for? :confused:

The small diesels reasonably popular away from the cities and most of the Jap makers have them in pickups, we don't need anything that will do 100mph out in the scrub. The orange on the Bosch spotlight is just a stone guard - it slides into 4 spring clips.
Rooshooter .....
(+)

as a part time mechanic up here in vermont i would not touch anything dodge. I know the power wagon kicks ass with all the goodies but underneath it is still a troublesome dodge. Toyota's have a great rep up here but parts are expensive, the new tundra seems amazing and would run propbably same as power wagon new. Check consumer reports. i love ford 250 and 350 because everything is big and hd, parts are easy to find and cheap at the junk yards, everyone plows with fords up here. Chevys are nice drivers but dont last, the eight liters sucks oil bad too. anything diesel gets a thumbs up!

as a part time mechanic up here in vermont i would not touch anything dodge. I know the power wagon kicks ass with all the goodies but underneath it is still a troublesome dodge.
Dodge makes good and bad just like every other maker. Your statement is asinine and myopic to say the least.

i love ford 250 and 350 because everything is big and hd, parts ar

OK, let's say I can focus on something finding a a nice used Ford 250 with a crew or super cab... how far back can I go in years? What kind of milage should I consider to be the max?

I have a 99' Durango with on 38K miles, so you can see how few miles I will be putting on the rig.

I could potentially keep the D and get the pickup as a 3rd vehicle, but because I drive so very little, I worry about a having a 3rd vehicle that would sit too much.

Test Drive

Test drive the Tundra. The thing rides like a sports car, and performs like a truck.

Test drive them all for that matter, it won't cost you anything.

I like the fact that Toyota/Lexus certifies their pre-owned (read as used) vehicles. Which means they are gone over for anything wrong that may not be obvious at time of sale.

I work with a lot of "Truck Guys" and take tons of S#!T for driving a Toyota. I don't care, I like my truck. Plenty of power, plenty of interior space, not bad on gas. None of 'em will race me though........................;)

Thanks everyone for the posts.

I have a '05 crew cab tundra I can test drive with just under 20K miles.

After reading some reviews from newer tundra owners, it seems the truck is far from perfect.

I will definitely drive all of the trucks on my short list.

Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for the posts.

I have a '05 crew cab tundra I can test drive with just under 20K miles.

After reading some reviews from newer tundra owners, it seems the truck is far from perfect.

I will definitely drive all of the trucks on my short list.

Thanks again.

What sorts of problems are they having???

Back