Quad Cab pickups?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BFG A/T K/O's

bytehoven, I just took the 285/70/17 bfg ko's off my 04 ram 3500 yesterday. They ride like sh*t and drop your fuel mileage and I don't know if you plow snow or not but they are the worst tire ever in snow. I went to toyo A/T's stock size 265/70/17. The ride difference is unbelievable. Rides like a caddy.

Hi Tree....

What is about tires. Having read reviews on almost every tire, you'll find people that say what you're saying on every tire, as well as someone saying they're the best tire on the planet.

The KO seems to have the edge with almost 2x the number of reviews of any other truck tire, yet still rates in the top 10 or higher in every review I have been able to find.

I hear what you're saying, but it's confusing to see polorization on every brand and model.

It's as if there are folks who are biased as well as fan boys. Know what I mean?

I know folks who swear by the KO tire on road, as well as off road. One friend who only likes the Michelin LTX M/S better for on-road.

How do you explain your experience with the mountain of positive reviews on the KO? I would love to know why there are folks who hate them.

BFG A/T KO's

I only got 15000 miles out of those tires. They are good off road but you sacrifice on road ride, fuel mileage and don't go anywhere in the snow.
The stock bfg rugged trails were awesome on and off road and great in the snow. The ko's packed with snow when they were brand new, my truck was all over the place while plowing. I was going to put on new rugged trails but a good friend swears bu the toyo's. It feels like your gliding down the road compared to the KO'S.

Tree...

Taking you advice to heart, I took the new 2500 out for a spin tonight in our 1st snow of the year. It's a freezing wet snow which has turned slick pretty fast.

I also took out my Durango which has Michelin LTX M/S tires.

The Rugged Trail tires performed better than the LTX M/S. I think I know partially why. The LT265/70/17 have a slightly narrower section width than the 31"x10.50x15 LTX M/S as well as blockier edges. So with the heavier 2500 the Rugged Trails appear to bite through the snow to the asphault better.

This was particularly evident when stopping. The LTX M/S would call on the D's ABS almost all the time, while the 2500 stopped more frequently without any ABS assistance.

The Rugged Trails actually performed very well. I am impressed.

I have some serious thinking to do and probably won't get much sleep tonight.

:confused:

I could certainly spend the BFG KO upgrade money on something else.

Hmmmmmm....

Last edited:
My Rugged Trails now have almost 48,000 miles with about a quarter of the tread left. They handle very well in the snow and have good manners on the road.

Still probably going to go with the **** Cepek F/C II's when they finally wear out though.

Yeah, I'm gonna pass on the tire trade and put the $$$ info some fender flares, fender well liners for the rear, step bars for the kids in/out, some bed storage, mud flaps, etc...

I'll just watch the DodgeTalk website classifieds for anyone selling tires in my neck of the woods. Maybe I can pick up a good deal on tires & rims from someone making a serious upgrade to their Ram.

The other thing I didn't consider with running a larger tire than 265, I wouldn't be able to run chains, which is sometimes required to get into the Monogahila National Park during a bad snow fall. We go hunting their in the fall, it can get pretty nasty.

Thanks again for your help.

Bfg Ko's

I bought the ko's in the fall of 05 expecting great performance in the snow. I couldn't believe how thy just packed with snow. I would have been better off leaving the rugged trails on with 1/4 tread left but I had the tire place junk them. Buy the way the ko's were 285/70/17. The new toyo's are stock size 265/70/17. The place where I buy tires gives you 30 days to to test drive. Hopefully we get some plowable snow soon cause if these toyo's don't live up to my expectations I'm putting on some new rugged trails.
Ive seen those **** creeks around but they are mud tires right?
Allot of hillbilly's west of here have them on their 1978 full size blazer monster trucks with KC lights and confederate flags flying.
Let me know cause I'm looking for the best all around tire I can get for my truck.

Last edited:
Treeslayer

This link should take you to their web site:
http://www.dickcepek.com/FC_Radial.html

They are kind of in between an all-terrain and a mud terrain tire. There is a shop about 2 miles from my house that sells them. There are more sizes other than what is listed on the site. I think they have 265/70R17 and 285/70R17 both in class E load range. There are several people around here that run them.

I plan on getting them, but am going to get a few more $ out of the rugged trails first.

OK... I think I found a new owner for my '99 Durango for $9500. Schweet! :D A little less than I was asking, but still way more then the dealer was offering as a trade in.

Would anyone care to comment on there favorite Quad Cab pickup?

I am looking for something used and have a couple on my short list.

2005 Dodge 2500 Power Wagon
2004-2005 Totyota Tundra

I'd love to hear which other quad cabs I should take a look at.

I could get by with a short bed, and I love something with decent road manners as well as trail worthy. That's what has kinda shaped my short list so far.

I'm 6'5 and I have a little trouble ducking in/out of the smaller fram pickups like the Dakota, Tacoma, etc. I need something with a nice tall entry so I can enter/exit without needing to manipulate my head.

I'm not in a hurry and if there is a automotive price meltdown like we saw a short time ago, I might be tempted to buy something new. However, I would prefer to get something used.

DODGE all the way. I have a PW. Will whip a Tundra any day. You buy a Yota you will be kickin yourself later. Just look underneath the two of them and you will see. Solid Axle vs. Independent. Does your dump truck have an Independent front end? Skid Plates, Lockers, 2400lb Bed capacity, Tows way more. You wont be sorry

The Power Wagon is very nice, but they really hit ya for some extra $$$.

There was (1) '06 Power Wagon in my area, it listed for almost $43K, and the dealer was not willing to budge. Even if he had been willing to meet the discount of my dealer, the PW would have been almost $6k more. Granted the larger tires, 4.56 gears, front & rear remote lockers, front sway bar disconnect are tasty upgrades.

Got mine NEW for $32,900. (Sticker was $42,005)

Yes... I got a nice 2500 4x4 QC SB in bright silver. :D

The best deal I could find on a new PW was $34K on vehicle that listed for $44K. This was a little more than $6k over my rig, which was too much for me to spend. I wanted to keep my purchase at $30k or less, since I paid cash.

I do have a chance to buy a white PW which listed for just under $47, for $29,500. It only has 1500 miles and is a month old. The seller is a Chrysler employee who got the vehicle at a terriffic discount but doesn't like the color and wants heated seats. Hell, for the $$$ he is gonna lose, he could paint the thing and buy new seats. :)

I have been trying to sell my 2500 with only 500 miles, and I haven't gotten any nibbles. I'm gonna try one more week and then just wave bye-bye to the white PW.

If I knew for sure there was a better time period to sell my 2500, say in the spring, I might be willing to own (2) trucks for a short time. But I just hate having to take a bath on my 2500 just to sell it.

I leave the white PW deal in the hands of fate. I will be happy if I end up keeping my Silver 2500. I've already started adding mods... step rails, Mopar 12,000/1200 hitch, rear wheel liners and bed caps.

I have the following mods on my short list, fender flares (not sure about leaving them black or matching to paint), mud flaps, front hitch, and something for the bed, be it side boxes, cover, cap or some combination.

I put 400lbs of sand in the back for the winter, but I like what the weight does for the ride, so I might leave some weight in the bed at all times.

Thanks for the idea.

I have the truck advertised for $26,900, $1000 less than I paid, $10k off the sticker price and $6k below dealer invoice.

The truck has 450 easy break in miles.

I have this shot from the back. I will take some more pics if anyone is interested.

I'm located in Wilmington, DE

2500back.jpg

Heres mine

The day after I bought it.
Sincce then I have added in dash DVD, Kodiak Sidewinder steps, And soon I need tires so some 35 Toyos are on the way

Just testing my own thread and the email filter routing on my newly installed Thunderbird email package.

:D

Feel free to echo a test. :)

Toyota will be the #1 automaker in the US. It's only a matter of time.

Back