Quad Cab pickups?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The quote was, “The Toyota is more Ram than the Ram is.”

So Toyota builds almost a 3/4 ton truck (basically a 5/8 ton truck :hmm3grin2orange: ) and are comparing it to other 1/2" trucks? Clever.

The Toyota might take a bite out of Dodge 1500 sales, but 2500/3500 buyers are less likely to be fooled. Especially if you consider how many 3/4 & 1 ton truck buyers chose the diesel power plant.

I have almost 1k miles on my Ram '06 2500, and I'm lovin' it. The money I saved buying the heavily discounted '06 left over, will pay for a bunch of useful upgrades.

The Toyota might take a bite out of Dodge 1500 sales, but 2500/3500 buyers are less likely to be fooled. Especially if you consider how many 3/4 & 1 ton truck buyers chose the diesel power plant.

Short-sightedness like this is why the big 3 are in the situation they are in. Toyota has plans for heavier trucks too. And if their 1/2 ton entry into the full-size truck market Ford, GM, and Dodge better look out. And don't count Nissan out either. Both Toyota and Nissan have been making trucks of all sizes for decades, and diesels are coming. It's just that the US only gets the gas versions. Personally I won't be buying any new truck foreign or domestic. Too much $$$ for any of them (unless I win the lottery of course).

Last edited:
My friend... how it is short sighted?

There have been 1/2, 3/4 & 1 ton designations forever. These designations help people buy just as much truck as they need to get the job done, right?

If Toyota basically builds a truck with specs closer to a 3/4 ton truck, yet markets it against 1/2 ton trucks, aren't they being dishonest?

Perhaps it would be better to toss out the 1500, 2500 & 3500 designations all together, and shop based on the ride quality or style of the leather seats? :D

I agree the cost of trucks has gotten crazy. Yet, we might never have had a family worthy Quad Cab heavy duty truck, capable of hauling loads during the week, and the family on the weekend.

Every once in awhile, I get to drive a friends old Ford 150, which only cost $8k new. Although it still gets the job done, you would never mistake it for a contemporary truck, in the comfort department. :)

If Toyota basically builds a truck with specs closer to a 3/4 ton truck, yet markets it against 1/2 ton trucks, aren't they being dishonest?

Toyota's not playing fair? For years people complained that import trucks were too light to handle the work that the domestics could do. And now evidently they get to complain the trucks are too heavy? Something about having cake and eating it too comes to mind right now.

And you're right about the comfort factor. The guy I bought my F-150 from got a 2006 Dodge, and we rode to DMV in his truck. That thing was very nice, and lots of power. Big payment too.

Sorry, I was going from memory. Whats that smell? Sour grapes?:laugh:

Me? Sour grapes? Nah.

My wife drives a '06 Toyota Sienna and we both love it. Our only other choice might have been the Honda, but the dealer didn't have have them in stock, so we couldn't test drive one.

I also didn't mean to be critical of your abbreviated quote. I just thought the actually quote was a bit humorous. It made me wonder if it was really one of the Ford/Dodge transplants. :)

RB: I agree with your comment regarding imports being light duty. IMHO, the new Titan and Tundra are making great improvements. I welcome their heavy duty upgrades, as it definitely pushes the other truck makers to reinvent their trucks. I'm just saying, on a technical basis, Toyota is comparing apples & oranges. If Toyota is building a more competitive 1/2 ton alternative, we should be aware the advantage comes because they are building almost a 3/4 ton truck. On that basis, their comparison might better serve the buyer, by also including tech specs from other domestic 3/4 ton trucks.

Toyota is definitely doing alot of things right. I love the bigger disc brakes, the engine & tranny are very smooth. I just feel they are further obfuscating, an already very technically complex truck market.

RB: I agree with your comment regarding imports being light duty. IMHO, the new Titan and Tundra are making great improvements. I welcome their heavy duty upgrades, as it definitely pushes the other truck makers to reinvent their trucks. I'm just saying, on a technical basis, Toyota is comparing apples & oranges. If Toyota is building a more competitive 1/2 ton alternative, we should be aware the advantage comes because they are building almost a 3/4 ton truck. On that basis, their comparison might better serve the buyer, by also including tech specs from other domestic 3/4 ton trucks.

As I recall the Titan was close to 3/4 ton specs as well. By the way, where can I see the established 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton specs?

You need to example simple economics. I know they are built in the US, but the profits still go to Japan. Keep buying foreign crap and we will be standing in line for toilet paper.

Keep buying foreign crap and we will be standing in line for toilet paper.

If it was crap no one buy it. Take your rhetoric to Detroit and get the big three to build better cars. I think they are working on it, but it will take time to change the current perception.

M
How is this being dishonest when all specifications are clearly marked? Are they lying about specifications? Tell me this, is it dishonest for a man with a big wang to compare his work with men having smaller wangs? :laugh:

How is this being dishonest when all specifications are clearly marked? Are they lying about specifications? Tell me this, is it dishonest for a man with a big wang to compare his work with men having smaller wangs? :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

He said wang.

You need to example simple economics. I know they are built in the US, but the profits still go to Japan. Keep buying foreign crap and we will be standing in line for toilet paper.

No more so than Chrysler's profits are going to Germany, right?

Where are Ford's profits going? Oh wait, they just lost a few more billions.

Toyota's Profits? Being a publicly held company I would guess that some of the profits are distributed to shareholders and a big chunk of the profits are being reinvested in new plants in the USA. That new plant in San Antonio was built with over a billion dollars in CASH and will employ AMERICANS.

Profits going to Japan? No, they are being reinvested here and creating new jobs. That's as good as it gets.

How many plants do GM and Ford have in other countries? And how many plants in the US are closing their doors?

Ford owns Mazda, Volvo, Jaguar, and Land Rover.
GM owns Saab, Opel, Vauxhall, and has a stake in Suzuki, Daewoo, and Isuzu.

The largest shareholder in DaimlerChrysler today is the State of Kuwait

GM manufactures its cars and trucks in 33 countries.

Toyota manufactures cars in 10 countries, a total of 14 plants with 4 in the US.

A lot of parts for "American" cars are manufactured in Japan.

Tell me, just what is an American car these days?

Last edited:
If it was crap no one buy it. Take your rhetoric to Detroit and get the big three to build better cars. I think they are working on it, but it will take time to change the current perception.

Thank You. Our typical american errogance has cost a share of the market to foreign manufacturers. They are working on it. It will take time however.

My "crap" comment concerns all things not just cars. BUY AMERICAN

Does it count if you don't buy it at the dealer? I'd like to buy from private owners the rest of my life if possible.

Honest!

OK, hold on thereToyota!

From the April, 07 issue of Motor Trend:

07 Silverado, 4X4, payload capacity = 1635 lbs.
07 Tundra, 4X4, payload capacity = 1155 lbs.

Wow. 1155 lbs. payload on a truck that weighs 5845 lbs. and claims a 10,300 lb. towing capcity. OK! With a 26.4 gallon tank, that's 210 lbs. in the gas tank. Let's say I put my 230 lbs. in the seat. 500 lb. tongue weight sounds reasonable for a 10,000 trailer. So, let's see, 210 + 230 + 500 = 940 lbs. OK, 1155 - 940 = 215 lbs. left. I hope mamma's light and doesn't pack heavy.

Heavy Duty. What a joke.

OK, hold on thereToyota!

Wow. 1155 lbs. payload on a truck that weighs 5845 lbs. and claims a 10,300 lb. towing capcity. OK! With a 26.4 gallon tank, that's 210 lbs. in the gas tank. Let's say I put my 230 lbs. in the seat. 500 lb. tongue weight sounds reasonable for a 10,000 trailer. So, let's see, 210 + 230 + 500 = 940 lbs. OK, 1155 - 940 = 215 lbs. left. I hope mamma's light and doesn't pack heavy.

Heavy Duty. What a joke.

Go ahead and stick your head back in the sand. The imports will never compete with the big three trucks, right?:dizzy:

In any case I found this at the Motor Trend site for the 2007 Tundra.

"Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (lbs) 7,200, curb weight (lbs) 5,200, gross trailer weight braked (lbs) 10,500 and max payload (lbs) 2,000"

And here's the link mon!:laugh:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2007/toyota/tundra/specifications/

Last edited:
Don't let the facts get in your way...

OK, hold on thereToyota!

Heavy Duty. What a joke.

Now, now, now....Please don't let the facts get in the way of your arguement!

Looks like the 4WD 5.7L has a payload of 2,000 pounds. That's a ton where I come from.

From Toyota:
First column is 2WD, second column is 4WD
attachment.php

Motor Trend, what a joke...

Go ahead and stick your head back in the sand. The imports will never compete with the big three trucks, right?:dizzy:

In any case I found this at the Motor Trend site for the 2007 Tundra.

"Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (lbs) 7,200, curb weight (lbs) 5,200, gross trailer weight braked (lbs) 10,500 and max payload (lbs) 2,000"

And here's the link mon!:laugh:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2007/toyota/tundra/specifications/

The print article (I have it at my side) shows the curb wgt. as 5845 and the payload as 1155. Your link shows a different story. Maybe options pushed the curb wgt. up. Generally, the gross weight stays the same and options push te resulting payload wgt. down.

Now, I'm sorry if what I posted is incorrect. Honest mistake, but I'm sorry. Looks like I very well could be wrong.

Oh, I'm not here to say Toyota can't compete. No way. Also, payload isn't on many peoples radar screen. I was trying to point out that looking macho isn't enough.

But, I say again. I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back