Question about a splitter...........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creaid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a vertical/horizontal log splitter. This will be for home use as I heat my home in the winter with a wood stove. I have narrowed it down to 2 models (I think LOL).

1) Northern 20 ton http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200316905_200316905

2) Huskee 22 ton http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...10551_10001_34394_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

Which would be more reliable? Are these models big enough for home use? Any other models I should look into? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Can't speak to the reliability, but I'd go ahead and spring for the extra loot for the bigger of the two....

You may find more responses, (even knowledgeable, helpful ones....:laugh:)

a few forums down in the firewood/ heating w/ wood spot-- x-post it over there...

I've had a Husky 33 ton that I bought at TSC about twenty years ago. It has an 8 horse Tecumseh and has never missed a beat, so my best advise to you would be go for the Husky based on my experiences.

I've got a yard machines 22 ton with a 5 HP Briggs & Stratton. Basically the same splitter as the TSC. About 16 second cycle time to full extension and retraction. It has not failed to split a piece of wood yet. Had to start some dead standing red elm crotches with chainsaw last year. That would be a good price and should get you by.

Matt

I have been running a friend's 20 ton Gossen quite a bit and it is fine for my use. Maybe if you have really big hardwoods you need more but for the East Coast maples & oaks it does everything and $899 is not a bad price.

B&S motors run forever if you take care of them, so you can't go wrong there.

Speeco is good

I got a 25 ton 10.5 HP Speeco with all the hydraulic oil and setup for $1250 at Farm and Fleet. I'm sure other stores sell them too. They may lots of lawn products. The 10.5 HP pulls a bigger pump than many 5 and 6 HP models for a faster cycle time. I have not been able to stop it even going crooked in red oak crotches will spit or finally sheer through.

25 ton speeco

I forgot, the 25 ton 10.5 HP Speeco runs right at 1 gallon of gas per hour with a decent cycle time. It will do the automatic return faster than I can through the piece of wood in the truck and spin it for the next split.

Back