Question about kevlar chaps/pants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
varies by manufacturer and usage; and of course if they "operate" in contact with a saw chain, after which they're scrap.

Here's a question(s) nobody's asking... How often should you wash your pants/chaps, and does this have any effect on the fiber's stopping power? How long will the last effectively? 2,5,10 years?
Elvex (are sideburns required?) claims their Prolar fibers improve with washing, and it's the opposite with kevlar. I've been curious myself if either claim is true; here's their 411 on the subject: http://www.elvex.com/FAQ-chainsaw-protection.htm#Can Elvex ProChaps be washed .

A few weeks back I got my Labonville full wrap chaps. I haven't cut anything with them yet but am looking forward to it.

I ended up measuring 37" for a size but got the 36" chaps.

I wear steal tip boots when cutting.

Chris

Here's a question(s) nobody's asking... How often should you wash your pants/chaps, and does this have any effect on the fiber's stopping power? How long will the last effectively? 2,5,10 years?

I called Labonville a while back with that same question.

They say not to wash them. I'm following that until they post something different. If I'm gonna be hot, sweaty and less mobile I'm going to be wearing effective battle rattle.

I called Labonville a while back with that same question.

They say not to wash them. I'm following that until they post something different. If I'm gonna be hot, sweaty and less mobile I'm going to be wearing effective battle rattle.

Sorry this is Not correct, what they say is not to MACHINE wash them.

From their own posting;

Take care of your chaps. Do not wrap them around the saw bar while carrying your saw. Store chaps away from the saw, gas and oil when traveling.

Keep your saw clean. This will reduce oil buildup on your chaps. Inspect your chaps periodically for oil and keep them as oil free as possible. This reduces flammability and surface slickness. Gloves and clothing will stay cleaner as well.

To remove heavy Oil, as well as stubborn dirt and stains, treat first with non-chlorine bleach solvent, follow with a spray cleaner or detergent and water. Hang Dry. Do not bleach or machine wash/dry any brand Kevlar or nylon safety clothing. Components made with Kevlar brand fiber must be hand washed with any detergents that do not contain chlorine bleach.

Remove light oil and less persistent stains by washing chaps by hand in warm water and detergent. Use a scrub brush.

To Clean off mud or loose dirt, allow it to dry, then remove with a stuff bristle brush. If stains remain wash as recommended above.

I wash mine every six months or so

i recently also bought a pair of chaps thanks to all of you guys. but how about upper body protection, is there any type of upper body protection with the protection quality of chaps. if not what do you guys use.

Last edited:
i recently also bought a pair of chaps thanks to all of you guys. but how about upper body protection, is there any type of upper body protection with the protection quality of chaps. if not what do you guys use.

You mean like --->This<---

I don't have one.... don't know anyone who does, but it is there.

I ordered full wrap chaps from Labonville this morning. The chaps should be here by the time my leg has healed up.

I'm not anal about protective gear, but the tightwad in me likes the economics of chaps. $100 for chaps is a bargain compared to the cost of emergency medical care.

I didn't even know chainsaw chaps existed until I joined AS -- and I live in logging country and see loggers all the time.

I use Labonville snap in safety pads with modified pants. They fit inside of your pants so you have no buckles or straps to mess with or get caught in brush or limbs. I cut on a lotta brushy hillsides also. To me they are much more mobile. Last cutting job I did I wore my regular chaps and lo and behold straps were catching on branches its a good option.

New Chaps

My new chaps from Labonville were waiting on the front porch when I got home from work today.:) The tag says HAND WASH ,LINE DRY DO NOT IRON. I wasn"t planning on using them for "FORMAL WEAR" but just a nice outing in the woods:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: They seem to fit real nice size XXLong and will cover the front of my steel toed boots:) :) Hopefully I will get to try them and my new saw this weekend at the lake:cheers: :cheers: . I am going to put the hard hat together now!! GET PPE AND WEAR IT!!

Chaps or pants

I am thinking about getting pair of Labonville leg protection but am wondering if I should go with reg chaps, wrap chaps, or pants. Are most injuries on top of leg? It seems like the chaps leave sides exposed too much. It seems like there pants are insulated and I prefer to have just regular pants. Any idea where I can get those besides Labonville?

I buy an extra pair of chaps and tie them around my head and neck like the middle eastern cultures.

I then hang another pair of chaps over each shoulder,

So far so good, I'm getting the quality of the chaps and the upper body protection that I so desparately need.

Do a search for "groin protection" for more ideas on how to protect yourself and future offspring.

Sam

I am thinking about getting pair of Labonville leg protection but am wondering if I should go with reg chaps, wrap chaps, or pants. Are most injuries on top of leg? It seems like the chaps leave sides exposed too much. It seems like there pants are insulated and I prefer to have just regular pants. Any idea where I can get those besides Labonville?

SwedePro has both summer and winter pants available.

I didn't even know chainsaw chaps existed until I joined AS -- and I live in logging country and see loggers all the time.

I learned about them here too. But I did recently see them on "World's Toughest Jobs" on TV. Never would have known the idea was to stop the chain from turning if I hadn't had it explained to me.

Laundering chaps is a good idea to at least some degree. My Stihl chaps say to Machine wash in warm water, using color safe detergent, but NO BLEACH, and to machine dry on low setting. (They also say to launder BEFORE USE!)

At least some of the stuff I've seen says that failure to wash chaps regularly will REDUCE your protection The reason being that sweat, oil, and so forth will get into the pads and "glue" the fibers together so that they don't disintegrate and get sucked into the saw chain the way they should. OTOH laundering tends to soften up and "fluff" the pads so that they are actually better than when new.

---

Lots of choices for footwear, although I didn't find as many as I would have expected... One thing I found particularly annoying was that nearly all so-called "Logger boots" are NOT "chainsaw rated" though they might have steel toes. :angry2:

Lots of folks wear plain steel toes, and that is better than nothing, but according to the safety experts, a good many chainsaw injuries are from hits to the top and side of the foot - places that steel toes don't cover. IMHO the added protection of a chainsaw rated boot is worth it. Consider also that feet have a great many tendons, nerves, fragile bones, etc. They are very complex body parts, and injuries to them are almost certain to be above average in complexity, difficulty / cost of treatment, and long term aftereffects.

I did a lot of looking, and IMHO the Matterhorn chainsaw boots are clearly the best ones out there - expensive, but you get a taller boot w/ a gore-tex liner, more layers of padding, a puncture resistant sole, and so on... Expensive but worth it... Next best are probably the Labonvilles. The Matterhorns are also amazingly comfortable, aside from making you feel like you have "Frankenstein Feet" because of their size and weight.

Lastly, Forester was asking
So is it not law that professional fallers and loggers must wear bucking pants/chaps while on the job in the USA? It is in Canada.
Answer, as I understand it, is "It depends" - OSHA rules say that if you are getting paid to use a chainsaw you are supposed to be required to wear protective gear (chaps, boots, gloves, head / face / eye / hearing protectors, etc...) and your employer is required to MAKE you wear the stuff, or pay hefty fines... However there are lots of exceptions, most noticeably if you are working for yourself you are exempt, even if you have been hired as an "independent contractor"

Gooserider

Back