Question about paying on ebay.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatscooking

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'am old fashion and don't understand how things work when it comes to internet buying. I have found a saw i would like to buy but everyone seems to use paypal, what is it and how do you set it up. I'am not one to give out card numbers especially on the net, i don't have a credit card only a debit card. Are there any other ways to do it or can you trust paypal?

I use pay pal haven't had any problems so far. You can always send a money order.

I think you can trust PayPal. You might also message the seller and ask if they will accept a Postal Money Order. The only disadvantage for them is waiting on mailed payment.

You can also do wire transfers from your checking acct. Might want to think about about getting a $500 limit credit card. By using paypal you get some buyer protection if there is a problem. Credit card also adds some protection.

One geezer to another.

Go to: https://www.paypal.com/

Hit 'sign up' at the top margin of the page and follow the directions.

Can't be beat. Will refund your money if you get stiffed by a seller.

Some sellers don't like it because of the fees and it gives them very little wiggle room in the event of a disagreement.

I only use my Visa for gas and online buying. Never had any trouble.

Last edited:
What I always suggest to folks antzy about the security issues, is go to a different bank, and set up a free checking account, and get their free
debit card, and just use that as your sole e-bay/paypal tool, that way, if anyone did ever hack into it, they wouldn't get much.

But I have Paypal attached to my business account and a credit card with no trouble.

Jusy click on the Paypal icon on ebay, and click on the icon that says register, or sign up.
It will tell you what to do.

Paypal is a very good system, lots of companies selling online who are not ebay sellers now use paypal as an alternative payment system. It's easy to set up and it's very secure, I use paypal for all my ebay purchases and also buy chains and bars from mail order suppliers who are not on ebay. Works for me. One thing to beware of is sellers offering items on ebay that are too good to be true, they usually are and you will get stiffed. Caveat emptor.

Paypal always defaults to a debit from your bank account. If you have a credit card registered on the account (and you may have to) you can pay with that but have to select it every time. (which I do). I have had no issues with paypal and have been using them for years. The advantage of using them is that each vendor you purchase from receives their money right away but they don't have any of your personal account information. It is basically a "go between" to insulate you and your account info from the seller.

One other advantage is that it makes it very easy to send funds to someone without going through Western Union or something.

If you are shopping online, you really need one of the paypal accounts in my opinion. It is accepted by most online sellers. Some (many) will take you credit card payment directly but then you are giving that account info to multiple unknown individuals (companies made up of individuals) and you have no knowledge of what they do with the data.

One last question, i called pay pal along with my bank. They can pull from a savings account i have so i can put in what money needed to cover things, BUT pay pal says it still takes 3-4 days to clear my bank this way, is that a problem with e-bay you think.

It takes more time, which sellers don't like as well as the buyers. See if that bank offers a free checking account with a free debit card, and just use that debit card as a credit card.

i love PayPal, i have a friend he uses his debit/checking account with know problems, i use PayPal with all my buying more and more companies are giving buyer the option of using it, fast and secure.. there is a 1-800 somewhere on there site if u have problem a or questions, cant go wrong with PayPal..

sorry i just read ur other question, most sellers want there payment within 3-5 days but if u just let them know the circumstance most would be fine with that.. just be careful who u buy from i only buy from sellers with 99.0% or higher and ebay will back u up 100% .

Most will understand if you dont paypal, just let them know and most will accept a us postal MO real quick.... For canadian they also have international MO's as well... just keep the seller informed in a timley manner. usually not a problem with MOST!!!

One last question, i called pay pal along with my bank. They can pull from a savings account i have so i can put in what money needed to cover things, BUT pay pal says it still takes 3-4 days to clear my bank this way, is that a problem with e-bay you think.

Believe you me, e-Bag has NO problem with that!
I guess some people do not know, Pay-Pal and eBay are ONE, yes 1!
eBay is the one who made Pay-Pal, so they could extract more money from the sellers. If you have never been a seller, it's a rude awakening your first go around!
Having said that, don't worry about the delay, it's standard. Pay-Pal "takes" your money, right now, at the click of your mouse, however, if there refunding, crediting or your transferring, it take's 3-5 days for it to go through, standard. As a buyer, you will love it, but, as people have said prior to me, if you see something on eBag you like, e-mail the seller and ASK if they accept USPS Money Orders?
As a seller, I prefer MO's, because they do not take 3% of MY money!
That is why you(seller) on eBay can no longer have Money Orders as a "payment" option, they removed that feature because they don't get there additional 3%:msp_mad:
Whatscooking, get set up with it, it's easy and you will get the hang of it, but never forget MO's!:msp_thumbup:

Paypal is a very good system, lots of companies selling online who are not ebay sellers now use paypal as an alternative payment system. It's easy to set up and it's very secure, I use paypal for all my ebay purchases and also buy chains and bars from mail order suppliers who are not on ebay. Works for me. One thing to beware of is sellers offering items on ebay that are too good to be true, they usually are and you will get stiffed. Caveat emptor.

I, too, have opened a separate checking account, with credit/debit card, just for paypal. I deposit money just for my eBay sales & purchases. It's worked very well and allows me to use paypal almost exclusively for online business. I've had it for several years, without any issues. The slight drawback of having to wait three days for the refund to show up and the 3% fee is well worth the security and peace of mind of having only one place to watch and work in. Honest sellers should not have an issue with their policies, buyers have security and service............... to me, it's a win-win.

One more one more question

When a payment is made does it go to the seller or to e-bay wheather you use pay pal or what ever,I mailed the seller and asked some questions and he acted like he didn't get the money before the saw got to me and then payment was released to him so he wanted no part of me sending a check sent from my internet banking which is how i pay all my bills now, he said way too long for everything to clear. If i can set the account up at my bank i guess i can get the hang of this but i have a habbit of not trusting someone that will not trust me.

It's too easy to make a fake check these days. It takes too long for everything to clear. That's why people don't like money orders and bank checks anymore.

Usually if anything goes wrong, the seller is the one left holding the bag. From what I've been reading, it seems to be surprising people still sell on ebay at all. :msp_ohmy:

I was hesitant to link my checking account to pay pal. Why not just link a credit card topay pal. That way you have the pay pal security and the credit card security if something goes wrong.? G

I use paypal to buy and sell on ebay as well as private transactions in forums that have for sale sections like here, it works well and you gotta suck it up and pay the fees. They provide a service and are entitled to make money on it.

The one time I had a dispute was when I bought a gas RC car used from a private seller. Guyy advertised it as "ready to go", which I interpreted as, well..."ready to go". I assumed I would need fuel and batteries for the radio. Got it and it was severely beat up, bent and broken suspension pieces, some parts not even attached (like the motor), no fuel lines, radio but no receiver in the car...it was an extensive list. Contacted the seller and tried to be reasonable about it but it eventually devolved into a pissing match so I filed a paypal claim and worked the process. Got into the same pissing match with the guy and said fine, we're not working it out so I'll send it to paypal arbitration. As soon as I clciked the arbitration button I got an email from paypal saying they decided in the seller's favor...no arbitration took place.

It was over $70 paid for a toy that costs about $125 or so new so it wasn't like I lost a mint on it, but the experience was annoying.

Back